Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those of you who lowered your Tesla, did it affect your Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who lowered their Tesla, did it affect your Auotpilot?

Thinking of ordering some MountainPass coilovers for my MYP but will the lowered height affect the vehicles cameras and autopilot?

I did my own googling and found one thread of a user complaining Autopilot was affected when he lowered his M3 about 3/4”.

Wondering if there are more horror stories?

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X
No.

Not in the least. Three years on HR springs. I have had some phantom braking but nothing terrible.
Was the guy complaining about phantom braking, following distances screwed up, or lane keep issues?

Whatever he read, it was someone who didn't know what they were talking about, hence only one thread about it.

Was the phantom braking caused or worsened with the lowered height?

Phantom braking occurs because of the use of radar. A lowered ride height has nothing to do with it.

On my 3, I never had issues with AutoPilot behaving differently however, there were a couple times where I got locked out of autopilot because the speed and yaw sensors were returning unexpected values. SC attributed it to the car being lower but i don't know if they were full of it or not.

Phantom braking occurs because of the use of radar. A lowered ride height has nothing to do with it.
Some might argue phantom braking is due to lack of Radar. Surely not the cause of it.

But it’s always been due to Camera images being misinterpreted often due to shadows, condensation, blinded by sun and who knows what.

Most common cause of “braking” (I don’t call it phantom) is its paranoid (over polite) algorithm with merging traffic.