Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those of you with a ceramic coating...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the pros and cons of getting a ceramic coat? I'm undecided. I received a quote for $2k.

How does it handle rocks chips? Do you have to re-apply it every once in a while? how does it handle scratches? If get in a fender bender, will insurance cover the cost of re-application?

Hi! Nice quote. I wish someone would give me $2000 to apply one. It's easy to do. I used Pinnacle Black Label ceramic coating from Autogeek. The whole process took about 1 1/2 hours. Over a year ago. The finish is fabulous. I recommend you check it out, as it will cost you less than 10% of your quote.

I paid $1,100 for paint correction and ceramic coating. I’d say your quote seems too high, unless maybe you went for the lifetime warranty or something like that. The coating just makes it easier to rinse the car. Dirt doesn’t seem to stick as much and you can keep it looking shiny with just a basic wash an no requirement to wax it every few months.

What are the pros and cons of getting a ceramic coat? I'm undecided. I received a quote for $2k.

How does it handle rocks chips? Do you have to re-apply it every once in a while? how does it handle scratches? If get in a fender bender, will insurance cover the cost of re-application?

First you should understand that ceramic is a thin coating and it will do absolutely nothing for rock chips. You need to apply material like Paint Protective Film aka clear bra or vinyl wrap to protect against rock chips...

Ceramic purpose is to make the car easier to clean because dirt can't stick. It makes it less likely that you will scratch your car when washing because the dirt will just float off vs you rubbing dirt into the paint when washing and scratching it. However due to how microscopically thin ceramic is, its still possible to scratch the paint.

If your main concern is scratches and rock chips then id suggest Paint Protective Film material over Ceramic! It will add thickness to protect your paint from damage. If you can afford it, add ceramic on top over the clear bra making the clear bra material easier to clean ...

Last edited:
looks like I should get other
Hi! Nice quote. I wish someone would give me $2000 to apply one. It's easy to do. I used Pinnacle Black Label ceramic coating from Autogeek. The whole process took about 1 1/2 hours. Over a year ago. The finish is fabulous. I recommend you check it out, as it will cost you less than 10% of your quote.

I might do this instead.

He's in the SF Bay area, people pay those prices up there. I did it myself and highly recommend ceramic coating. However, surface prep is important....need to buff out any scratches/swirl marks and remove all wax, etc. Since it's semi-permanent you want to be sure you get the prep right or you will be sealing in whatever is there. There are some more detailed threads that discuss all the steps you should take and lots of youtube videos out there.

I did Cquart UK3.0 myself and it wasn't too bad.
You want to make sure all surfaces are free and clear of swirls so you'll need a DA polisher as well.

It takes around 6-8 hours if you need to do everything including swirl removal.

I coated the whole car. Tooks me about 3 hours total. I took breaks in between.
I did all painted surfaces, including the front PPF film I had installed that day.

It takes a few days to cure I believe so they recommend no water on the car.

I will do another coating in two weeks or so.