Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those that don't have paint protection....how's the paint doing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious... Since it seems like many people (in this forum) have paint protection like XPel Ultimate or Suntek, for example, I'm curious for those who chose to forego this expense, how is the paint holding up? Do you notice a difference in the amount of rock chips or degree of road rash on your Tesla when compared to your other cars, taking into account the amount of time you've owned the car? Is the "soft paint" really noticeable?

83k miles on my model S, no protection. To me the paint seems similar to other cars I have owned, some stone chips on the front end etc but pretty normal.

I questioned the value of spending thousands on a wrap to protect the paint in a car where you know the value will plummet regardless of a few stone chips on the front. I don't think having a pristine front end will make the sales price of a 5yo vehicle high enough to pay for the wrap. I suppose it would be worth it if you are so much of a perfectionist that you would pay to completely refinish a panel/hood with a small chip. Also less costly to wrap the front end only and be careful about where you park the car to try to avoid door dings.

I don't have many miles but the paint on my MC Red is leagues better than the paint on other sports cars. My Alfa Romeo has paint so soft that a microfiber towel will scratch it if the surface is not pristine, I had to wrap most of the car. I wrapped only the front bumper on my MX and nothing else, the hood might get a stone or two over the years but the car is so high off the ground it's nothing like a low sports car. The lower sides seem ok too since the tires are not offset to the outside of the car and there is black plastic down there anyways.

I waited a couple week before I wrapped my X and in that time I got 1/4" crack in the windshield (since repaired) and a nice rock chip on the front corner panel...But now, after 8 months...everything else still looks like new...Want to keep that Signiture Red Paint pristine : )

I don't know much about top coat/sealing. Is that something that is done professionally?

Which products are used?

Usually they are either OptiCoat or Carpro CQuartz. They are sealants used on top of the paints that protect against bugs, acids, watermarks, and if you are careful things like paint swirls - they are also very hydrophobic. They are great for people who want paint protection (of the actual paint surface) but do not want to wrap their vehicles. It does NOT provide any protection against things like door dings, rock chips, etc. you'll need a clear film wrap like Xpel or the likes to do that. It is easy enough to apply yourself, but it's the prep work that goes on before that is harder. The surface needs to be pristine, glass quality so the installer does a thorough cleaning and stripping of the surface then they use orbital polishers to get the paint perfect...then they apply the top sealant coat. Some people apply film, then apply a coating on top of that (kind of hardcore). I did not apply either OptiCoat or CQuartz, just have my front bumper wrapped and I use Reload as a wax substitute to serve as a coating on my paint.

• Informative
Reactions: LuckyX and TslaMom
3 weeks and 600 miles, nothing bad yet, but I do intend on getting a nano-ceramic basic 2 year coating for $400ish after my FWD window and door alignment is fixed by Tesla (dropping off in 2 hours). Also getting seat-backs wrapped for $500. I may look into Autoflex dipping with a clear removable paint which seems about the same protection as PPF, but not sure on that one, only cost I have is 1200-2000 depending on product used. Then nano-ceramic on top of that for hydrophobic and shine.

3 weeks and 600 miles, nothing bad yet, but I do intend on getting a nano-ceramic basic 2 year coating for $400ish after my FWD window and door alignment is fixed by Tesla (dropping off in 2 hours). Also getting seat-backs wrapped for $500. I may look into Autoflex dipping with a clear removable paint which seems about the same protection as PPF, but not sure on that one, only cost I have is 1200-2000 depending on product used. Then nano-ceramic on top of that for hydrophobic and shine.

Seat backs for $500? Wha? Is that per seat or for all the seats?

42K miles on my MC Red S85 delivered in April 2013. No paint protection film installed. Have an assortment of small rock dings on the front nose/hood and mirrors. Not really bad (of course, I wish they weren't there!!).

My MX is due to be delivered in a couple of weeks and I am going to completely wrap it with CGN. Yes, it is expensive but I want to protect it as much as possible.

I have seen cheaper here on TMC for other areas, but my area seems to want $500-$700 for 6 seater, 4 seats wrapped and the 2 little head rests. My $500 quote said either matte or gloss, not sure which I prefer yet.

Wow, my installer wants $250 per seat for a seven seater. I thought that was a little much but now I know it is.

Time to find another installer.

28K on black MS. A few small rock chips that you can not see unless you are looking. Decided against PPF due to 4K cost here in S. FL. The car looks perfect with weekly washing and detailing.

We are planning on getting a white MX (6 seat) soon. We have had an overnight loaner twice now. With 2 small boys in car seats in the second row, I understand the concern about the back seats. We will not be wrapping our either. The boys may scuff them up, but its just a car and its value is only going to go in one direction so we just don't worry about it.

Reactions: DJ 240V
I had 3M film applied to front, front fenders, and hood. It's 6 months old post accident and redo, and what I see is rock chips clear through the paint clear up on the black paint above my door. I see a dozen rock chips and stars all over the front window. But on the PPF area, I see about three spots where the plastic was hit hard enough to tear it so it's visible. The worst is about 1/8th inch. None of these go through to the paint.

That's what I paid for. The PPF protects the paint. I guess if I didn't mind rock chips all over the front and hood of this car, I could have saved some big bucks, but I mind.

Reactions: davidc18