Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those that paid for 60kWh to 75 kWh upgrade, was it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have a refreshed 60 kWh Model S, and was thinking of possibly taking the jump to update to the 75 kWh. I've read some threads saying that the 60 kWh configuration (actually 62 kWh usable) is a great value while the 75, not so much. I also really appreciate the lack of significant taper to 100% at SCs. However, I've had a couple instances, especially in cold weather in the Northeast US, where I wished I had some additional range. $7k is a hefty price tag though for < 40 miles of range.

So, bottom line, for those that made the switch, are you glad you made it? Thanks.

Hi all,

I have a refreshed 60 kWh Model S, and was thinking of possibly taking the jump to update to the 75 kWh. I've read some threads saying that the 60 kWh configuration (actually 62 kWh usable) is a great value while the 75, not so much. I also really appreciate the lack of significant taper to 100% at SCs. However, I've had a couple instances, especially in cold weather in the Northeast US, where I wished I had some additional range. $7k is a hefty price tag though for < 40 miles of range.

So, bottom line, for those that made the switch, are you glad you made it? Thanks.
There are several threads touting the pros and cons, but this may be the first thread limiting discussion to those who spent either $7000 or $9000 to upgrade. I think I can safely predict no one will state they regret their costly decision, so if you are preparing a case to convince your wife to spend the money this thread will surely provide it.

My thoughts:

It is still the same car. What you are buying is the ability to charge the battery to 100% instead of 80(ish) percent. Normally, I would STILL charge to 80%. The ONLY time I would use the extra range it would be if I could slow-charge overnight to 100% and skip a Supecharger stop in the morning. I don't think I'd ever do that due to small family bladders.

I can see someone in cold climates doing the upgrade. But that isn't me.

I think many of us got the 60 knowing we could upgrade if needed later on. Then you discover (except in cold areas) that it just isn't needed.

My thoughts:

It is still the same car. What you are buying is the ability to charge the battery to 100% instead of 80(ish) percent. Normally, I would STILL charge to 80%. The ONLY time I would use the extra range it would be if I could slow-charge overnight to 100% and skip a Supecharger stop in the morning. I don't think I'd ever do that due to small family bladders.

I think many of us got the 60 knowing we could upgrade if needed later on. Then you discover (except in cold areas) that it just isn't needed.

Even in Chicago, I'm not sure where the benefit comes in but the point of this thread is to celebrate those that have made that decision, however curious it is, for reasons I'm sure to do with a one time event rather than a consistent range need.

My thoughts:

I was pleasantly surprised by the highway range of my 60D so the only way I would upgrade would be to keep the free supercharging on a longer range vehicle. To be honest though I think I would just save the money and use it to do an aftermarket battery upgrade later.

I would be very surprised if Tesla drops the price.

Tesla needs $. They just had another round of capital calls and $50M in pure profit would build a lot of Model 3s (which generate even more $). Why not get a win-win situation where customers get an "extra 15kwh" and they get $50M. Its abundantly clear they aren't converting 60 owners to upgrade so they must take more drastic measures. It was only $3k extra to get from a 90D to a 100D, why not $4k for 60 to 75? BTW, I'm always in fear when logging into MyTesla that I'll accidentally spend $7k on something I don't want.

and the fact that the current upgrade price is too much for the paltry range increase is a reality, and dropping the price to say $4K is a great idea.. and to pocket a good 30M+ of pure cash, that would otherwise not materialize.

I have to think Tesla will drop the upgrade cost to $5k or lower in 6 months when they realize 10,000 60s are still around not upgraded.... (that's a lot of money for Tesla ($50M)). For the record, I'd consider it only for $1k or less.

Not likely, that would set a precedent for all the other software limited cars. They've never reduced the upgrade price for the 40's which have been out for nearly 4 years now.

It would also piss off those people for paid full price for a 75 when they could have bought a 60 and played the waiting game for the battery upgrade. There's more potential to upset current owners by reducing the price than just leaving the price as is.

Reactions: brkaus
I'm thinking about this now. I have a September car, and am deciding between a 60 to 75 upgrade or just trading in for an AP2 car with 75. Not sure what to do in this case, as my trade value is low, but once the 60 goes away, I was wondering if it may increase or the 75 decrease.

Not likely, that would set a precedent for all the other software limited cars. They've never reduced the upgrade price for the 40's which have been out for nearly 4 years now.

It would also piss off those people for paid full price for a 75 when they could have bought a 60 and played the waiting game for the battery upgrade. There's more potential to upset current owners by reducing the price than just leaving the price as is.
Sort of a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario. Frankly, I'm surprised that they lowered it by $2000 already. If they did it again I would be very temped.

Sort of a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario. Frankly, I'm surprised that they lowered it by $2000 already. If they did it again I would be very temped.

Exactly. Precedent already is set. They lowered it from $9k to $7k and I didn't hear that many people complain who upgraded under the old $9k price (because I think I could count them on my hand they were so few in number). And I think very few people have still considered the upgrade.

Its a win-win for Tesla, its up to them. I'm not losing any sleep over it. I love my 60D even in below 0 temps I have enough range. I may go to 450wh/mi to get my feet warm but that still is more than enough for one day's driving. I try not to road trip in extreme cold regardless. Its not healthy to be in an ICE, period, but particularly with the heat running full blast. At least I can breathe clean biohazard protected air and drive 160 miles in one go should I desire.

Also, unless temps are actually 0F or colder, I never crack 400wh/mi. Just this weekend it averaged 37F and I was at 290wh/mi. If you really want range, you can get it even in cold. You just have to start regen braking farther out and avoid gunning it (you can still accelerate just not max stomping). Then again, I've only gotten below 15 miles of range once in 4 months. That was my par for the course with a LEAF so I might just be one of the few that views 60kwh of energy as an endless bounty of electrons.

I would be very surprised if Tesla drops the price.

I would say quite the contrary, I think down the road, they might look at it as being able to get back something from the sale of the 60's

Once the range increases with the 2170, the 60's are going to appear quite low in the line up, that would be ideal time to put the 75 upgrade "on sale" and say for a limited time upgrade to 75 for half the price or whatever. Cos otherwise he isn't getting ANY money from those customers which is supposed to be pure profit for him and was counting on to make the margin on the 60's.

Right now, 60's are a gateway into Tesla, for a limited time, with little to no profit, unless you can convert the batteries, he is just giving away free samples.

That said, its a small concern in the bigger picture, and they might just overlook it entirely and leave it be due to priorities.

• Informative
Reactions: mikerathbun
Also, unless temps are actually 0F or colder, I never crack 400wh/mi. Just this weekend it averaged 37F and I was at 290wh/mi. If you really want range, you can get it even in cold. You just have to start regen braking farther out and avoid gunning it (you can still accelerate just not max stomping). Then again, I've only gotten below 15 miles of range once in 4 months. That was my par for the course with a LEAF so I might just be one of the few that views 60kwh of energy as an endless bounty of electrons.

It's all about comfort levels. I used to feel a little anxious when my range went below 100mi and felt the urge to charge. Now we have a Fiat 500e as a second car, which we regularly drive down to 10-20 mi range left and feel fine about it. Helped me overcome my issue below 100 :)

Exactly. Precedent already is set. They lowered it from $9k to $7k and I didn't hear that many people complain who upgraded under the old $9k price (because I think I could count them on my hand they were so few in number). And I think very few people have still considered the upgrade.

Its a win-win for Tesla, its up to them. I'm not losing any sleep over it. I love my 60D even in below 0 temps I have enough range. I may go to 450wh/mi to get my feet warm but that still is more than enough for one day's driving. I try not to road trip in extreme cold regardless. Its not healthy to be in an ICE, period, but particularly with the heat running full blast. At least I can breathe clean biohazard protected air and drive 160 miles in one go should I desire.

I didn't think they lowered the price to upgrade as much as they raised the price of the 60 by $2k (that effectively lowered the price of the upgrade to $7k from $9K). To TSLA it was six of one, half dozen of the other...

Reactions: transpondster
S60D owner here and also Northeast.

Price of the upgrade actually dropped from $9000 to $7000, so there might be a chance that it will drop further in the future. I have not found a need for it even in the Northeast winter.

Locally you will never see the difference between 60 vs 75
For road trips, if you plan your trip on ev-tripplanner put in your trip from an S75D vs S60D the time savings on most road trip is tiny. I'm getting 1.5 hour savings over 30+ hours driving. Less during warmer months. So it depends on how much winter road trips you plan over the life of the vehicle and what your time is worth to you. If that time is worth more than $7000, then upgrade.

For me the biggest obstacle is knowing i have an amazing deal in the 60, with 62.4 kWh usable, to a bad deal in the 75 at 72.6 kWh usable. One I'm getting more than i paid for, one I'm getting less.

is that 10.2 kWh extra worth $7000? So far to me its not and most likely will never be? I rather put that $7000 in the next new car.

Tesla’s hacked Battery Management System exposes the real usable capacity of its battery packs
  • Original 60 – ~61 kWh total capacity, ~58.5 kWh usable.
  • 85/P85/85D/P85D – ~81.5 kWh total capacity, ~77.5 kWh usable
  • 90D/P90D – ~85.8 kWh total capacity, 81.8 kWh usable
  • Original 70 – ~71.2 kWh total capacity, 68.8 kWh usable
  • 75/75D – 75 kWh total capacity, 72.6 kWh usable
  • Software limited 60/60D – 62.4 kWh usable
  • Software limited 70/70D – 65.9 kWh usable