Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those that paid for 60kWh to 75 kWh upgrade, was it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't think they lowered the price to upgrade as much as they raised the price of the 60 by $2k (that effectively lowered the price of the upgrade to $7k from $9K). To TSLA it was six of one, half dozen of the other...

But, as numerous posters have pointed out, that's not how us S60 buyers who bought before the $2k price increase, view it. To us its a $2k discount on that feature.

Tesla would be smart to lower it to $4k or lower but it remains to be seen whether they agree.

Locally you will never see the difference between 60 vs 75
For road trips, if you plan your trip on ev-tripplanner put in your trip from an S75D vs S60D the time savings on most road trip is tiny. I'm getting 1.5 hour savings over 30+ hours driving. Less during warmer months. So it depends on how much winter road trips you plan over the life of the vehicle and what your time is worth to you. If that time is worth more than $7000, then upgrade.

Evtripplanner doesn't account for better taper supercharge time. On the three times I've Supercharged, I can fill up in 50 minutes. It overestimates charging times to be 1.5-2 hours if you are 10% battery upon reaching the SC. Unless your SC is <50kw avg, you will be fine to charge in 1 hour, usually less.

75 will see same charge times. You won't be able to skip a SC unless you spend a lot of time in taper at the last SC. Its a 1 time 40 mile boost (assuming you charge to 100% upon leaving house).

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and gabeincal
Interesting that no one has said they DID upgrade from a 60 to 75. Wonder if the upgrade rate is near zero. It suggests the upgrade fee is overpriced for the value received. I bet they would have many more takers at $4K.

I've seen a couple individuals upgrading on this forum. Seen a lot more not upgrading. I'd say it's 10% or less (that upgrade).

The way Tesla can cash in is by dropping the price a little (e.g., $6000) and announcing that in a month they will drop the upgrade (or raise the price to >$10,000), so it would be a now or never deal. That will flush out all potential upgraders. I don't see anything in the original 60 offer that PROMISES a 75K upgrade, and certainly not for a monotonically decreasing price.

I (and I'll bet a lot of 60 owners) will continue to pass for anything more than $1-2K as long as we believe that the opportunity to upgrade will always be there and getting cheaper over time.

Evtripplanner doesn't account for better taper supercharge time. On the three times I've Supercharged, I can fill up in 50 minutes. It overestimates charging times to be 1.5-2 hours if you are 10% battery upon reaching the SC. Unless your SC is <50kw avg, you will be fine to charge in 1 hour, usually less.

75 will see same charge times. You won't be able to skip a SC unless you spend a lot of time in taper at the last SC. Its a 1 time 40 mile boost (assuming you charge to 100% upon leaving house).

Pretty much this. The longer I've had the car, the less and less necessary the upgrade has seemed to me. I've done numerous road trips so far and have yet to see a single time where I could have skipped(or reduced the time at) even a single supercharger stop by getting the 75. Even if they dropped the price to $1k I'd probably have a hard time justifying the cost.

Hi all,

I have a refreshed 60 kWh Model S, and was thinking of possibly taking the jump to update to the 75 kWh. I've read some threads saying that the 60 kWh configuration (actually 62 kWh usable) is a great value while the 75, not so much. $7k is a hefty price tag though for < 40 miles of range.

Considering Tesla wants $11k to unlock an MS 40 to a 60 (and another $2k to enable SuperCharging)... that's not such a bad deal...

I upgraded from 60D to 75D - kind of. I had 60D on order with estimated delivery in late December. My OA found a new inventory 75D that I liked that had a 3K discount on it, that I could get it early December. I had the option to take it as 75D and get the discount or downgrade to 60D, lose the discount, but also reduce the price by 7K (I had the older pricing on 60D). I decided to go with 75D. The reason being I do a 230 mile round trip every couple of weeks or so. There is a supercharger in between, but it is not midway and with a 60D I would need to stop and charge both ways in winter months here in Seattle.

With 75D, I can charge to 100% and then stop and supercharge only on the way back. And maybe once weather gets warmer, I may be able to do the complete trip without stopping to supercharge in 75D.

Winter temperatures kill the range a lot. I have seen when temps are below 30, when I reach the supercharger, I have less than 10% of range. One time I had only 9 miles (and I had done everything possible to extend range) after starting with 100%. But when temps are around 50, I am reaching supercharger with around 15 - 20% range. Will see what happens once we start to see temps in upper 60s and 70s.

There also also other longer drives here in Pac NW that I will be able to do with 75D and not possible with 60D, unless I drive out of the way (extra) to a supercharger to charge.

I totally agree that the price they charge for the extra range is a lot vs. the value you get. But I was going to upgrade later anyway due to my needs, and when I got the discount, I decided to do it at the time or purchase vs. later.

While not exactly your situation, I went for the lowest battery size available at the time I purchased (70). I have never missed range or acceleration. I wish I could get 60, and save even more $.

I don't think Tesla was not selling 60s. On the contrary, people buying 60s were most likely not upgrading to 75, because, you just don't need it! And Tesla was basically selling larger battery for lower price.

IMO what Tesla should do, is to amortize the upgrade cost to 8 years, i.e. if you upgrade after 2 years, it doesn't cost you 100% of what it would have cost you on day #1. This way, Tesla will unlock some value, and some owners, after a year or two, may actually decide to upgrade.

For now, once you get used to/comfortable with 60's range and driving patterns, you realize, that you don't really need to spend that much more for basically not much.

While not exactly your situation, I went for the lowest battery size available at the time I purchased (70). I have never missed range or acceleration. I wish I could get 60, and save even more $.

I don't think Tesla was not selling 60s. On the contrary, people buying 60s were most likely not upgrading to 75, because, you just don't need it! And Tesla was basically selling larger battery for lower price.

IMO what Tesla should do, is to amortize the upgrade cost to 8 years, i.e. if you upgrade after 2 years, it doesn't cost you 100% of what it would have cost you on day #1. This way, Tesla will unlock some value, and some owners, after a year or two, may actually decide to upgrade.

For now, once you get used to/comfortable with 60's range and driving patterns, you realize, that you don't really need to spend that much more for basically not much.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the #1 reason to get a 75 (or upgrade to a 75) vs. a 60 is to not have the little "60" plate on the car showing that you went for the lowest end model. Pure speculation, of course.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the #1 reason to get a 75 (or upgrade to a 75) vs. a 60 is to not have the little "60" plate on the car showing that you went for the lowest end model. Pure speculation, of course.
Simple solution, I debadged my 60D. It looks better IMO, now people can simply admire the beauty of the car, and not have to focus on how much I paid for it.

Hi all,

I have a refreshed 60 kWh Model S, and was thinking of possibly taking the jump to update to the 75 kWh. I've read some threads saying that the 60 kWh configuration (actually 62 kWh usable) is a great value while the 75, not so much. I also really appreciate the lack of significant taper to 100% at SCs. However, I've had a couple instances, especially in cold weather in the Northeast US, where I wished I had some additional range. $7k is a hefty price tag though for < 40 miles of range.

So, bottom line, for those that made the switch, are you glad you made it? Thanks.
As a 60D owner, "issa no from me dawg".

60D give you max charge @100% for 62 and change Kwh, 75D give you a max @ 90% for ~67.5 Kwh. Not worth the money for ~5Kwh

I think the best Tesla deal yet was the 60D pre nov 2k price hike, and it had the free supercharging and AP2 avail! You guys with that config and that purchase timing are sitting pretty sweet right now! I have a 75D, we purchased it during that one week inventory fire sale back in oct 2016 for 7k off, otherwise I would have gotten the 60D. And happily charged it to 100% daily. I don't think hardly anyone is doing the range upgrade. Too much cost $, also it makes even less sense with the 90-100D cost of 3k.

Reactions: caltechkid
I think the best Tesla deal yet was the 60D pre nov 2k price hike, and it had the free supercharging and AP2 avail! You guys with that config and that purchase timing are sitting pretty sweet right now! I have a 75D, we purchased it during that one week inventory fire sale back in oct 2016 for 7k off, otherwise I would have gotten the 60D. And happily charged it to 100% daily. I don't think hardly anyone is doing the range upgrade. Too much cost $, also it makes even less sense with the 90-100D cost of 3k.

I am one of the very lucky ones, a true unicorn:

Model S 60D
Pre-November Price Hike
AP 2.0 Hardware (EAP-Enabled)
Free Supercharging
Next Gen Seats were switched to Tesla Premium Seats after ordering / prior to delivery
Vented seats on Tesla Premium Seats (feature added post ordering / removed prior to delivery)
Interior Combo of Tan Seats with Dark Ash and Black Alcantara Headliner (discontinued full custom interiors after ordering / prior to delivery)