Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those that think $8k is too much for Full Autonomy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Try pricing a Mercedes E-class with the closest thing to Autopilot 1.0 (still not as good), it will cost nearly $12K in upgrade packages!!

2. Use the Tesla Network to have your car earn money driving people around when you don't use it

3. A couple or family could have 1 car instead of multiple since it could pickup and dropoff multiple family members throughout the day and be summoned when needed.

4. Think about your productivity gains from not having to waste time driving yourself or finding parking... its like having a really cheap personal Chaffeur thus allowing you to get more work done (side jobs for extra $ or allows you to work less hours at the office since you work during the commute), or relax and watch movies, etc.

5. It saves airfare and hotel cost on long trips since you can sleep in the back while it drives you overnight.

6. Added safety that could prevent costly accidents and eventually result in significantly lower insurance premiums.

Most of the scenarios you described will have to involve a true fully autonomous car, which AP 2.0 is definitively NOT.

The way AP 2.0 is described on their ordering page, it basically is full auto pilot for long or short trips and able to handle any regular driving scenario.

If Tesla is accepting $3,000 for this option and doesn't deliver, then they can expect to be giving a lot of $3,000 refunds. We still have consumer protection laws. They are putting a lot of promises down in writing with their current statement on the ordering webpage. They will be held to achieving that or they will be providing refunds.

I am no fan of lawyers. So I wonder if Tesla has in-house counsel review the wording on the ordering page prior to it being posted. They have to know that people will be taking screen shots of the promises being made for $3,000 in the FSDC option.

How I interpret the OP's scenarios is that there is no human driver in that fully autonomous car (being a Uber car when you are not using it; sleep in the back while it drives you overnight). The AP 2.0 announcement was very clear that a human being is still required to sit in the driver's seat (even though in the video that person supposedly didn't drive the car).

The parking feature is cool, except almost everywhere where self park would save more than 30 seconds, requires you to press a button for a token or insert a credit card to use the parking garage. I just don't see AP2 doing that...

No but it could drop you off at the entrance to the garage or the elevators whilst it looked for a spot.

Given my preference for parking in spots that minimize door dings, this is probably a feature I wouldn't use much tho lol

Reactions: golfpilot
The parking feature is cool, except almost everywhere where self park would save more than 30 seconds, requires you to press a button for a token or insert a credit card to use the parking garage. I just don't see AP2 doing that...

Why not? What do you see as the hard part of that? How long do you think it is going to be before there will be an easy-pass for parking? Posh parking spots are now on notice that this is coming soon.

Thank you kindly.

It doesn't matter--if the car has to drive 15 minutes to find a free parking spot, it's still saving time and money.

Getting back my commute time eventually is also worth the money.

I will easily spend that much money for the convenience.

Will there be a setting for minimum clearance on either side of the car?

While we might not need to get into/out of the car with auto-parking and summons, the drivers & passengers of adjacent vehicles will need to get in and out of their cars...

Let your car be used (Tesla network) making $ for you? No thanks! Am I misunderstanding this "feature"? I don't want anybody else in my car that I don't approve of or don't know personally. Is this like having your expensive car used as a taxi? All the other points sound fantastic, and fantastical. We have to assume that by that time, Tesla vehicles are 100% reliable, and won't have any issues which necessitate leaving at the service center for weeks.

Let your car be used (Tesla network) making $ for you? No thanks! Am I misunderstanding this "feature"? I don't want anybody else in my car that I don't approve of or don't know personally. Is this like having your expensive car used as a taxi?

My feelings exactly on the point people brought up about making money with your Tesla while you are not using it. Why would you let your Tesla become a taxi or Uber? Plus, if you can afford a Tesla (S and X), why would you need to make the extra cash on the side with your unused car? The risk of random people trashing the car and liability for cabbing people around is not worth it.

Reactions: Lightmatrix
Let your car be used (Tesla network) making $ for you? No thanks! Am I misunderstanding this "feature"? I don't want anybody else in my car that I don't approve of or don't know personally. Is this like having your expensive car used as a taxi? All the other points sound fantastic, and fantastical. We have to assume that by that time, Tesla vehicles are 100% reliable, and won't have any issues which necessitate leaving at the service center for weeks.

I don't think this is geared towards the S or X (except possibly as premium black car services). By this time the Model 3 will be out, and having a base-level 3 working as a taxi may make sense, either part-time as a cost-reduction measure while the owner is working, or full-time as a business venture. Although I'm sure municipalities will be quick to regulate and tax them, to prevent massive drone car fleets clogging up the streets.

My feelings exactly on the point people brought up about making money with your Tesla while you are not using it. Why would you let your Tesla become a taxi or Uber? Plus, if you can afford a Tesla (S and X), why would you need to make the extra cash on the side with your unused car? The risk of random people trashing the car and liability for cabbing people around is not worth it.
I think the equation changes with a model 3. I'll bet there will be some entrepreneurs who buy multiple model 3s specifically for use in the Tesla shared car network.

1. Try pricing a Mercedes E-class with the closest thing to Autopilot 1.0 (still not as good), it will cost nearly $12K in upgrade packages!!

2. Use the Tesla Network to have your car earn money driving people around when you don't use it

3. A couple or family could have 1 car instead of multiple since it could pickup and dropoff multiple family members throughout the day and be summoned when needed.

4. Think about your productivity gains from not having to waste time driving yourself or finding parking... its like having a really cheap personal Chaffeur thus allowing you to get more work done (side jobs for extra $ or allows you to work less hours at the office since you work during the commute), or relax and watch movies, etc.

5. It saves airfare and hotel cost on long trips since you can sleep in the back while it drives you overnight.

6. Added safety that could prevent costly accidents and eventually result in significantly lower insurance premiums.

$8k may well not be too much for FULL Autonomy (ie a driver-less car). Its way to much for a promise of future FULL autonomy which is unlikely to be realized and even less likely to be permitted.
Your opinion may vary, but today (and for the foreseeable future), your not getting any of the things on your list ...

If parking is an issue, Tesla will have a "Loiter" option where your car just drives around the block for up to 60 minutes until you get done with your business and can return to your car.