Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For Those w/P85D Ludicrous: Do You Have Same Display as P100DL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
I just picked up another P85D and this one has Ludicrous. So far I've been unable to get the battery temp display that's part of the energy graph to display as well as the real time and peak power and g's to display. In the Toybox is the Ludicrous option and it says something about pressing the scroll wheels and then there's a "Let's Get Started" button or something to that affect but it does nothing. Is the display I'm talking about ONLY in the P100DL or do the P85DL and P90DL get it too? I hope I'm just not doing something right in the sequence but I swear I've tried everything I know to activate them.

Despite the language about using the scroll wheel (as of one of the recent updates), it does not appear to be the case - you still just have to wait for the battery to finish heating. Have you put it in ludicrous+ mode, and do you see the purple battery temp indicator in the Energy display? If so, you should see the stats display only AFTER the battery reaches 55 degrees or so - it will pop up on the left display.

Despite the language about using the scroll wheel (as of one of the recent updates), it does not appear to be the case - you still just have to wait for the battery to finish heating. Have you put it in ludicrous+ mode, and do you see the purple battery temp indicator in the Energy display? If so, you should see the stats display only AFTER the battery reaches 55 degrees or so - it will pop up on the left display.
This is exactly my point: I have no purple battery temp indicator on the lower party of the circular energy graph on the instrument cluster. I even left it in Ludicrous+ anyway until it got to temp & indicated "Ready!" under the driving menu of the MCU display just like my non-Ludicrous P85D. Nothing. That purple graph should be there visually indicating current temp status until it's ready. Instead I have to go into Driving and see "15 minutes until ready" or whatever it might be.

The P100DL cluster display is different from the P85DL
This is the two display items I'm talking about:

tesla-model-s-dash-750x375.jpg

I don't have them at any point after selecting Ludicrous+

In related news, is the "No I want my mommy/Yes, bring it on" pop-up also only the P100DL? I only get the basic pop-up that I also get with Insane+ mode on my non-Ludicrous P85D.

Nothing here either on my car. Not sure why the display should be exclusive to the P100D. It's just software.
I guess it's just the P100DL's that get it that get it then maybe. I really thought something was wrong with my car specifically. I can't even get the star field to happen reliably and am unsure of what is supposed to trigger it on these earlier cars. Kind of weird since it's basically the same from the perspective of what those two graphics display and are used for. I see no reason to not include it on ALL Ludicrous cars other than intentional exclusivity which is a bit odd given what these packages cost and are capable of. I mean, they put the underline on them too so why not leave that exclusive for the P100DL's too? Doesn't really seem to be much rhyme or reason to it other than one crazy man's whim. I really had no idea until I bought one that it might not include this as I thought it was kind of part of the whole "Ludicrous" experience. Now I see that other than different lettering (INSANE vs LUDICROUS) on the button you use to enable it, that silly little underline and a couple of tenths of a second there is basically no difference.

The display where you see the battery temperature and all of the telemetry only comes on the P100D (exclusively) as far as I know, and only shows up when you do two things

(1) Activate Ludicrous+ Drive Acceleration Model
(2) Active Ludicrous+ Easter Egg, which has now been moved to the area in one of the latest updates.

Brooks from DragTimes was the first one to do a video on it when Tesla released it back in 2017. This is how it was activated way back then.

The display where you see the battery temperature and all of the telemetry only comes on the P100D (exclusively) as far as I know, and only shows up when you do two things

(1) Activate Ludicrous+ Drive Acceleration Model
(2) Active Ludicrous+ Easter Egg, which has now been moved to the area in one of the latest updates.

Brooks from DragTimes was the first one to do a video on it when Tesla released it back in 2017. This is how it was activated way back then.
I'm familiar with the process and was 99.99% sure I was doing everything properly. I know there was an update that moved some items, removed them and then replaced them in another area so I thought maybe there was a chance I was doing something wrong since all of the instructions I found weren't in agreement so perhaps that was the reason. Sadly, it's what I feared the most since it's not just something I can change from an operator standpoint to make it work. Pretty lame that they didn't add this to all Ludicrous vehicles IMO and not something I would have expected would be made exclusive intentionally.

Pretty lame that they didn't add this to all Ludicrous vehicles IMO and not something I would have expected would be made exclusive intentionally.

The problem was that they are using Ludicrous+ as both the Acceleration Mode and the Easter Egg, and they made this change in 2019 some time (sorry, don't remember the version).

But originally what way it worked was this

Accelerations Modes went up as far as Ludicrous. Then there was this phrase that said "Max Battery" and that did just that, it would heat up the battery to the proper temperature. Beyond telling you how long it was going to take to get to the proper temperature, nothing else was apparent in terms of visuals.

Then as Brooks indicated in that video, Tesla released the Ludicrous+ Easter egg, which took the "Max Battery" to the next level. This gave you the "I want my Mommy" feature along with the new instrument cluster visuals (temperatures, and new telemetry data).

Then in some weird moment, Tesla confused everyone, by changing "Max Battery" and renaming it as a new acceleration mode called "Ludicrous+" which technically is still Max Battery while still offering the Ludicrous+ Easter Egg "I Want My Mommy". and this confused everyone.

In summary,

The P100D has both the Ludicrous+ Acceleration Mode and Ludicrous+ Easter Egg with "I want my Mommy"
The P90D has the Ludicrous+ or Insane+ Acceleration Mode but no Ludicrous+ Easter Egg with "I want my Mommy"
The P85D has the Ludicrous+ or Insane+ Acceleration Mode but no Ludicrous+ Easter Egg with "I want my Mommy"

The temperature and telemetry only appears if you can engage the Ludicrous+ Easter Egg with "I want my Mommy".

I just wishes they kept the Max Battery as the Acceleration Mode name vs. Ludicrous+ and researched Ludicrous+ as the Easter Egg name. Would have saved a LOT of confusion.

Note: Max Battery now gives you access to Launch Mode on a P100D, and it's easier to engage (less pedal mashing) with the most recent firmware.

The problem was that they are using Ludicrous+ as both the Acceleration Mode and the Easter Egg, and they made this change in 2019 some time (sorry, don't remember the version).

But originally what way it worked was this

Accelerations Modes went up as far as Ludicrous. Then there was this phrase that said "Max Battery" and that did just that, it would heat up the battery to the proper temperature. Beyond telling you how long it was going to take to get to the proper temperature, nothing else was apparent in terms of visuals.

Then as Brooks indicated in that video, Tesla released the Ludicrous+ Easter egg, which took the "Max Battery" to the next level. This gave you the "I want my Mommy" feature along with the new instrument cluster visuals (temperatures, and new telemetry data).

Then in some weird moment, Tesla confused everyone, by changing "Max Battery" and renaming it as a new acceleration mode called "Ludicrous+" which technically is still Max Battery while still offering the Ludicrous+ Easter Egg "I Want My Mommy". and this confused everyone.

In summary,

The P100D has both the Ludicrous+ Acceleration Mode and Ludicrous+ Easter Egg with "I want my Mommy"
The P90D has the Ludicrous+ or Insane+ Acceleration Mode but no Ludicrous+ Easter Egg with "I want my Mommy"
The P85D has the Ludicrous+ or Insane+ Acceleration Mode but no Ludicrous+ Easter Egg with "I want my Mommy"

The temperature and telemetry only appears if you can engage the Ludicrous+ Easter Egg with "I want my Mommy".

I just wishes they kept the Max Battery as the Acceleration Mode name vs. Ludicrous+ and researched Ludicrous+ as the Easter Egg name. Would have saved a LOT of confusion.

Note: Max Battery now gives you access to Launch Mode on a P100D, and it's easier to engage (less pedal mashing) with the most recent firmware.
Yeah I'm aware of most of that from owning a P85D w/Insane but not Ludicrous. I just picked up a second P85D that has Ludicrous and I was just assuming that ALL Ludicrous cars had that. Sadly I'm learning that isn't the case. That's fine, these were all basically just a bridge until I find a good deal on a P100DL anyway.

I would love to have this display as well. its very nice to know exactly what temp the battery is etc. I bet if we make this loud enough.. we might get it.. eventually...

If you get the ScanMyTesla app for Android with the correct cable you can see all sorts of telemetry including individual module temperature.

It’s not perfect but it gives you real time visibility into many data points of your Model S/X.

If you get the ScanMyTesla app for Android with the correct cable you can see all sorts of telemetry including individual module temperature.

It’s not perfect but it gives you real time visibility into many data points of your Model S/X.
yeah I agree its something, been using tmspy for iOS. its cool to see the numbers like that but yeah im hoping we can eventually get that battery temp gauge at least it looks sick and is super useful.

Reactions: zanary
The settings that control that are called eggwot.
sdv GUI_eggWotMode 1 turns on the purple battery temp
sdv GUI_eggWotMode 2 turns on the text power display and the ghost car with the drive units.

To turn those settings on, you need root access to the CID or a device on the ethernet cable between the CID and IC, however the latter I believe was disabled in recent firmware.

Reactions: VaztheDad and Evee
sdv GUI_eggWotMode 2 turns on the text power display and the ghost car with the drive units.

To turn those settings on, you need root access to the CID or a device on the ethernet cable between the CID and IC, however the latter I believe was disabled in recent firmware.
I'm not really interested in voiding a warranty or throwing up giant question marks if I ever need support just to enable that visual. It would be nice if they would throw the older flagship models a bone by enabling a simple graphic that's informational and an easy switch flip on the code end.

Reactions: Evee

Hi! I enabled this in an AWD, non-performance car (a90D). It always reports 0 kW for the front motor. Is that expected?