Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For Those Who Corfirmed Early With Little Info, Think You Might Make Any Changes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mikevbf

Feb 11, 2012
vermont
While trying to keep my Model X under a 100k (after tax rebate), I had to choose between Leather Seats and Ultra High Fidelity Sound. After doing as much research as I could on the Model S forums and a few early comments on the Model X, I chose the UHFS. Given that I have to wait because I went with the 90D, I wonder if I should choose the leather instead and pay the $500 change fee? Anyone else in a similar position? What changes might you make while waiting for Model X to go into production?

Leather is probably better for resale value since that's what most people want for a $100K car. Unless you are an audiophile UHFS may not make that big a difference but then again no one has made the comparison yet. In case you do want to change you can wait for a while before you do it. Your 90D will not be built in the next few months. You don't want to pay the penalty twice if you change your mind again or want to change something else like interior/exterior color later.

I made the initial choices in the Design Studio and then went to the Service Center to check out the combinations with the panels from the display Wall. Amazingly, there was a Model S P70 inventory car in the lot that was the exact color combos (except the dash inlay). The SC folks were more than willing to let me open it, compare the choices. That reaffirmed my choices and I decided to compare the Matte Obeche hues with the Titanium exterior -- the S had Carbon Fiber -- the matte Obeche seemed (for me) to accent the Black Leather and the Titanium exterior. Placed the order and never looked back -- I didn't need the stress of waiting and second guessing. Standing Pat. Good luck to all and Happy Tesla 2016!

While trying to keep my Model X under a 100k (after tax rebate), I had to choose between Leather Seats and Ultra High Fidelity Sound. After doing as much research as I could on the Model S forums and a few early comments on the Model X, I chose the UHFS. Given that I have to wait because I went with the 90D, I wonder if I should choose the leather instead and pay the $500 change fee? Anyone else in a similar position? What changes might you make while waiting for Model X to go into production?

I went with textile seats also, only partially to save money. Here are the reasons why I went with textile.
1) All of the sales people I have spoken with at the local Tesla store really like the textile seats.
2) The X seats are the same style with leather or textile. If you choose textile on the S, you get a seat style that apparently is not very comfortable.
3) We plan to hold onto the car for a long time and the textile seats will likely wear much better over time.
4) I do not like the feel of the leather on the Model S cars I have sat in.
5) The Model S forums discussing leather vs. textile suggest textile is an acceptable option.
6) Saving $2,500 helped but was not the driver in the decision.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I forgot to mention about the Ultra High Fidelity Sound. I did not go with this option because of cost, I though the regular stereo in the S was just fine for my purposes, and the added woofer in the S takes up a lot of room in the back.

I think if it were entirely up to me, I would have gotten the ultra white over the black leather seats. But I have kids (and a wife) so I bent a bit on that. It does seem darker seats and headliner will probably hold up better over time. I was OK with the textile seats, but was very interested in the uber filter and LED lights, and they require leather so when my wife was leaning that way, it made things easier.

Cost no object, I still would have been on the fence between P90D and 90D. An extra 7 miles of range seems trivial but you have no idea how long I spend in my ICE hybrid with the gas light lit solid. I'll take the extra 7 miles. "With the wind at our backs, we WILL make the next SuperCharger!"

At the last minute I changed my configuration from the ultra white seats/dark ash/black headliner to black seats/dark ash/black headliner for practicality reasons. I tried to change it back yesterday and was told my general production vin 2xx was too far along to change it. If you want to make a change I would recommend not waiting as things seem to be moving along rapidly at the factory.

On another note, if anyone wants to trade thier order for a already configured fully loaded, except for ludicrous and cold weather package, black P90D with white seats/dark ash for mine with the same configuration except for the black seats feel free to send me a pm.

Ultra White seats supposedly include a stain resistant coating that should reduce the problem of dye transfer. I had some reservations about ordering them sight unseen, but ultimately I wanted some contrast in my interior and I'm not a fan of tan seats, so I ordered Ultra White.

I went with textile seats also, only partially to save money. Here are the reasons why I went with textile.
1) All of the sales people I have spoken with at the local Tesla store really like the textile seats.
2) The X seats are the same style with leather or textile. If you choose textile on the S, you get a seat style that apparently is not very comfortable.
3) We plan to hold onto the car for a long time and the textile seats will likely wear much better over time.
4) I do not like the feel of the leather on the Model S cars I have sat in.
5) The Model S forums discussing leather vs. textile suggest textile is an acceptable option.
6) Saving $2,500 helped but was not the driver in the decision.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I forgot to mention about the Ultra High Fidelity Sound. I did not go with this option because of cost, I though the regular stereo in the S was just fine for my purposes, and the added woofer in the S takes up a lot of room in the back.

Yes, a lot in the Model S forums preferred the textile. Today, if I were to get a Model S I would definitely get leather over textile because the leather is the next gen form and the textile is not. From pictures in the Model X design studio, it appears you get the next gen form even in textile.

As for the UHFS a lot of Model S owners thought it was over priced for what you get in the early days. I am not sure now. But the reason I chose it was based on these few reports from the Model X reveal:
Ultra High-Fidelity Sound?

Ultra White seats supposedly include a stain resistant coating that should reduce the problem of dye transfer. I had some reservations about ordering them sight unseen, but ultimately I wanted some contrast in my interior and I'm not a fan of tan seats, so I ordered Ultra White.

I ordered the ultra white too. Matter of fact mine also has black body and dark ash. I thought the ultra white is just so cool especially when matched with a lot of black. Wife never allowed me to have light color seats before but this time she agreed with the seat color the first moment she saw the picture, and this one will be primarily her car too. I don't think to keep it clean is that hard to do. It's not a big deal to be just a little more careful when you're in a $100K+ car anyway.

I got the impression from reading the TM forum where people list what they've ordered that ultra white is not as popular as I would have thought. That's just fine since it will make it even more unique.

I still think black wears better. The first time you sit with jeans, the color will run off on the white seats. Who wants to worry about cleaning them every minute?

i don't mean to sound snippy or supercilious, but my goodness, what kind of jeans are you buying that lose their dye like that?! I've had light coloured leather seats for the past 16 years in multiple cars and never had that problem. I think they're more in danger of staining from other things (like coffee spills, etc.) so your concern is not without merit. :)

And to someone else that wondered about tan vs ultra white: ever since I laid down the deposit in 2012, I had been planning to get tan leather seats.... Until I saw the ultra white at the launch event on 9/29. That. Changed. EVERYTHING. After that, I chose ultra-white. It looks so stunning, you will not be disappointed.... Unless you drink a lot of coffee at ludicrous speed like me.... Oh well, I think another poster got it right about being more careful with $100,000 car.

For Those Who Corfirmed Early With Little Info, Think You Might Make Any Chan...

I too was at the X reveal and loved the white seats, but my wife overruled (it's her car) and we went with tan.

We would have ordered a 90D, but we're getting the FbR car and they're all P90Ds.

If I had to make a trade off between leather and UHFS, I'd pick UHFS. The system sounded great. I would also have picked synthetic tan if it had been available.

Last edited:
I made the initial choices in the Design Studio and then went to the Service Center to check out the combinations with the panels from the display Wall. Amazingly, there was a Model S P70 inventory car in the lot that was the exact color combos (except the dash inlay). The SC folks were more than willing to let me open it, compare the choices. That reaffirmed my choices and I decided to compare the Matte Obeche hues with the Titanium exterior -- the S had Carbon Fiber -- the matte Obeche seemed (for me) to accent the Black Leather and the Titanium exterior. Placed the order and never looked back -- I didn't need the stress of waiting and second guessing. Standing Pat. Good luck to all and Happy Tesla 2016!

Glad to hear it looks good together. I'm still waiting for access to design studio - maybe next week - and think I'll go with Titanium, Matte Obeche (have it in my S and love it), black leather seats (premium package) and black headliner. I was considering the light headliner for contrast but a photo of the door switch surrounded by headliner (5 kids) changed my mind.

Glad to hear it looks good together. I'm still waiting for access to design studio - maybe next week - and think I'll go with Titanium, Matte Obeche (have it in my S and love it), black leather seats (premium package) and black headliner. I was considering the light headliner for contrast but a photo of the door switch surrounded by headliner (5 kids) changed my mind.

Yeah, the same photo cemented my decision to stick with the black headliner (2 kids- 1 really messy one).

- - - Updated - - -

I too was at the X reveal and loved the white seats, but my wife overruled (it's her car) and we went with tan.

We would have ordered a 90D, but we're getting the FbR car and they're all P90Ds.

If I had to make a trade off between leather and UHFS, I'd pick UHFS. The system sounded great.

Did you think the Model X UHFS sounded better than the one on your P85D Model S? I look forward to your comparison when you get your Model X.

I think if it were entirely up to me, I would have gotten the ultra white over the black leather seats. But I have kids (and a wife) so I bent a bit on that. It does seem darker seats and headliner will probably hold up better over time. I was OK with the textile seats, but was very interested in the uber filter and LED lights, and they require leather so when my wife was leaning that way, it made things easier.

Cost no object, I still would have been on the fence between P90D and 90D. An extra 7 miles of range seems trivial but you have no idea how long I spend in my ICE hybrid with the gas light lit solid. I'll take the extra 7 miles. "With the wind at our backs, we WILL make the next SuperCharger!"

@ MrBoylan.. Is it a fixed price of $ 2,500 with LEATHER SEAT UPGRADE irrespective of the seating options 5 seats ($0) , 6 seats($3,000), or 7 seats($4,000) or does the cost of the leather seat upgrade increases with the increasing seats configuration ?