TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

For those who have placed an order for a new 3.0 battery

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Thread Summary, Sep 2, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Curt

Curt Roadster Signature #55

I agree, but this is what I got in an email today (take a look at the linked Roadster 3.0 FAQ for some interesting news(no upgrade coming for aerodynamics, bearings, or brakes)):

For Roadster owners that opted in for the 7 year battery replacement, we will offer the 2.0 battery at no cost with an option to upgrade to 3.0 for an additional $6000. If the customer has not yet reached their 6[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary date, there will be an additional $2,000 per year based on the below criteria. It appears the customer you’re inquiring about is currently sitting in Year 7, Once his 7[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary date hits towards at the end of the month and he enters Year 8, he should be entitled to $1000 back, making the upgrade cost for him $5000. If he wants to move forward, he needs to place a deposit through the Tesla Gear site.

We also have the updated Roadster 3.0 FAQs.

[​IMG]

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Does anyone who has placed an order for a 3.0 battery have a date scheduled yet for installation?

3. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25, Model 3 #36xx

Wow, thanks for posting! Was wondering if we'd see FAQ-type info.

Didn't see anything in the FAQ about whether the adjustable suspension was required or recommended for the 3.0 upgrade (e.g., with the increased weight), but keeping an eye out as I think about my next years Roadster "budget"...

4. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

I wonder if the more energy efficient tires will work on the 1.5s too.

5. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

Well this is disappointing. I held off on the brakes group buy as I had planned to do this. I guess we should start another group buy.

6. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25, Model 3 #36xx

Bumping this up so anyone who has placed a deposit recently can add to the ThreadSummary / Wiki at the front. (No deposit holder listed has received a date to schedule their upgrade yet, right?)

One other item: this is the thread in which aero, bearings, brakes, were mentioned as *not* coming as described in the briefly-viewable Roadster 3.0 FAQ Googledocs doc.

7. ecarfan

So...still no one on TMC has had a 3.0 battery installed yet?

8. Lahtc

Lahtc Member

Add me to the list. LAHTC/ Los Altos Hills, CA/ 2015-11-9

9. jaanton

jaanton Roadster NA #1026

Please add...
    jaanton Piedmont, CA Ordered Feb 16, 2016 2.5 (non-sport) #1026 cac 145.77

10. Curt

Curt Roadster Signature #55

I just dropped by the Rockville, MD Service Center, and the Service Manager tells me there are three 3.0 batteries currently slated to come here. The first is scheduled for its swap next month, and mine is the one after that.

11. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

Something came up and had to reschedule my 3.0 upgrade from this Monday to the middle of next month.
    In a week or two, maybe I'll find time to weight the car before my upgrade to see if there is any significant weight gain.

12. Adrian Cockcroft

My car was the second one upgraded in Palo Alto. More info here:
    Roadster 3.0

13. ecarfan

Got a call today from the Burlingame California Service Center. They are ready to install a 3.0 battery in my 1.5. Appointment made for July 5th. I asked how long they estimated it would take once they got the car and was told "12 hours", so two days. If it goes that smoothly, I will be very happy.

I asked if the Burlingame Service Center had ever installed a 3.0 battery and the woman I was speaking to said "I think this is our first one".

14. Habious

Habious Member

Just based on the 3.0 thread here on TMC, it sounds like the "12 hours/2 days" is...optimistic (if not a little laughable).

That's a lot to ask from a Service Center, even if it was just a straight 1.5-to-1.5 battery replacement.

I hope they get it down to that, though. I think some of the heavy labor costs with repairing/maintaining the one-off design of the Roadster makes the Service Centers cringe a bit when us Roadster owners drive in (at least here on the east coast, where Roadsters aren't a dime-a-dozen.)

15. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

It will be 3 weeks at the SC for my 1.5 Roadster's conversion to 3.0 on Tuesday.

• Informative x 3
  16. ecarfan

My 1.5 went into the Palo Alto Service Center yesterday for the battery upgrade. Barring unforeseen complications, they say I should get it back this week. I asked about the "R80" badge and was told it is part of the upgrade and they will get me one. I am stoked!

With the move of TMC to new forum software, I do not know how to edit and update the wiki post that is the second post in this thread.

17. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Wiki moved to first post.

18. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Supporting Member

Add me to the list
    Roadster 2.5 ; CAC 142.67; ordered 5/2016
    Ordered from Rockville but install will be Scottsdale

#992 is in Sedona Az

19. Lahtc

Lahtc Member

Coming up on a year since I ordered mine. No word on install date yet :(

20. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

That's interesting as I know folks who have had the 3.0 upgrade.. I wonder why so long. I'm thinking about the spring, your experience suggests I sign up now

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.