TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

For those who have placed an order for a new 3.0 battery

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Thread Summary, Sep 2, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. bobinfla

bobinfla S-Vin 4086 Rdstr-Vin 0019

I got my call for upgrade on my 1.5 last week. :D Order placed on 10/26/15 going in for the upgrade on 1/16/17, so just short of 15 months.

• Like x 1
  2. Curt

Curt Roadster Signature #55

The Rockville Service Center told me today that I am the next 1.5 in line for the battery upgrade.

Of course, they also told me that in April of last year, so I'm not holding my breath just yet.

3. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

Hmmm. Wow

4. Curt

Curt Roadster Signature #55

My upgrade has arrived at the Rockville Service Center! I'm scheduled for 24 February - just shy of 15 months after ordering (same lead time as @bobinfla).

5. jaanton

jaanton Roadster NA #1026

Got a call Friday. My upgrade is ready. Ordered last Feb so not quite a year. But probably a year by the time it's done.
    Factoids... #1026 57809 miles cac 143.71

6. Lahtc

Lahtc Member

#109 Order placed Nov 2015--- over 15 months and counting....

7. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

Is there a list of who has upgraded? Mostly looking to see time by model - do 1.5s take longer or is it proximity to a studio or some other unicorn behavior?

8. bolosky

bolosky Member

1.5s seem to take less time. At least, folks with them in my area who ordered after me got their upgrades first.

• Like x 1
  9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That may be true (I got a 3.0 battery in my 1.5 in June 2016) which is ironic considering that when the 3.0 battery was first made available it was only for 2.0/2.5 cars!

• Like x 1
  10. gregd

gregd Active Member

I wonder if the ordering time is more dependent on the availability of donor ESSs? More likely to have them on the older cars...

11. slcasner

slcasner Member

Right, that's what I was thinking.

12. Lahtc

Lahtc Member

Got a call back from Tesla! It wasn't a "bring it right in we are ready for you" but they did give me some info on why the delay. Not sure how much of this info is out there already (or even accurate I guess), but here is what I heard. They are consolidating Bay Area Roadster expertise into a single workshop in Fremont. He says this (once up and running?) will mean faster Roadster service because everything will be consolidated in one place. But for now they are still working through 2015 backlog -- I feel like the guy in the grocery store standing at the end of the one long line as they get ready to open up new registers! He also said that turnaround time is depending on parts becoming available and that actually means 2.x's go quicker because there are a lot more of them out there. Then he said a lot of nice stuff about how Roadsters are still important to Tesla and this new single workshop should help make everything better and I should not feel like I am being neglected. So there you go.....

• Informative x 1
  13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for info. By "workshop in Fremont" I assume you mean the existing Tesla Service Center in Fremont?

Your post implies that SF Bay Area Roadster service will only be done in Fremont, but I doubt that is what is happening. Or do you mean that all 3.0 battery installs for the SF Bay Area will only be done in Fremont?

14. jaanton

jaanton Roadster NA #1026

The Roadster parts issue seems pretty bad. My Roadster is in Fremont getting the 3.0 battery upgrade, but parts are scattered around and it's been more than two weeks to get the job done. There are (or were) a lot of Roadsters in the Bay Area, but having a local shop doesn't help much if they have to stop work to get parts sent from another shop. Fundamentally, even here, there are not enough Roadsters to justify many Roadster shops here.

15. Lahtc

Lahtc Member

Not sure exactly. Maybe just 3.0s in Fremont? And yes, would assume its the existing place.

16. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Supporting Member

Put in deposit end of April..... 3.0 installed and running Feb 25. Took five days for #992. Done in Scottsdale
    About 10 month wait

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.