TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

For those who live in where they salt roads during winter, what are you doing for rust proofing?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Raindog1, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Raindog1

Raindog1 Member

I just joined the Tesla family, and loving it every minute. What is your advice on protecting our investment during winter? Where I live they dump tones of salt on the roads, we have a well known brand that protects cars (CROWN) which I have used on other cars.... but I wanted to know what my options are. Any advice? Thanks.

2. karpetkutter

karpetkutter Member

Great Question, I was thinking of using Rust check and spraying it in the wheel wells to the brakes, suspension parts. Im not sure either would love to hear what others are doing. Anyone from Norway rustproof their Teslas?

• Like x 1
  3. Brenzo

Brenzo Member

I’ve never done anything other than ensure I get regular car washes where they spray the under carriage.

• Like x 4
  4. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Since the car is mostly aluminum, i would just stick with regular car washes.

• Like x 1
  5. whatthe2

whatthe2 Active Member

This. Live in Denver and have found no reason to do anything other than regularly wash.

• Like x 1
  6. Brenzo

Brenzo Member

I didn’t think they used salt in CO. At least they didn’t when I was living in Boulder - instead threw down some lava ash / sand mixture that was good for the environment but sh*t at melting anything

• Like x 1
  7. ngogas

ngogas Active Member

I live in Utah and salt is everywhere in the winter. Regular wash on all my cars does the job. I’m sure tesla has some type of rust inhibitors. Modern cars do as part of their process.

• Like x 1
  8. timk225

timk225 Active Member

I shouldn't HAVE to do anything, Tesla should have these cars rustproofed already!!!

• Like x 1
  9. traxila

traxila Member

I have never done anything. Haven’t had issues with rust.

• Like x 1
  10. compu85

compu85 Supporting Member

I took some anti corrosion spray and covered any unpainted surface (bolt threads, ground wires, etc). When we get closer to winter I’ll give everything another coat, and probably do the drive units too.

• Like x 1
  11. jkirkwood001

jkirkwood001 Member

I like what you're asking, @karpetkutter, but the S and X are aluminum body panels, no? If they haven't rust-proofed, not sure that would say much.

• Like x 1