Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For Those Who Live Where UK English is Used

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the rear is the boot and the front is the bonnet. At least that was what my '59 Morris Minor had. So, I would think that the proper term is fronnet, or frunnet, depending upon dialect.

And, Teslas do not come with spare tyres, either.

I thought the bonnet was the cover for the (front) engine compartment, not the compartment itself. But I might be mistaken.

For what it's worth, my wife grew up in Hong Kong and Australia and she calls the storage compartment at the front of our Tesla a frunk, even though she calls the compartment at the rear the boot. We just had this conversation the other day.

Bruce.

The standard American answer to this question is, "It's made in America. You must follow American rules. USA! USA"

IMG_1175.JPG

Some over here do call the frunk a froot.

A trunk is what elephants have

(Just don't come back and say a boot is what you put on your feet :)

The car is also a hatch back. Do you call it a sedan or is that only 4 door cars without the rear glass opening with the tailgate (which we call a saloon)?

Reactions: wesley888
Some over here do call the frunk a froot.

A trunk is what elephants have

(Just don't come back and say a boot is what you put on your feet :)

The car is also a hatch back. Do you call it a sedan or is that only 4 door cars without the rear glass opening with the tailgate (which we call a saloon)?

Not trying to be smart, just trying to understand the language:

Do you use the other definitions of trunk (trees, columns, anatomy, rail line, male swimwear [plural only], large carrying case) too?

Asking for a friend. :rolleyes:

i think most just call it a sedan. generally, hatchbacks are smaller cars.
I thought a sedan had to have a boot/trunk? A fastback is likely more appropriate

Not trying to be smart, just trying to understand the language:

Do you use the other definitions of trunk (trees, columns, anatomy, rail line, male swimwear [plural only], large carrying case) too?

Asking for a friend. :rolleyes:
Tree, swimwear yes.
People > 90 maybe for large suitcase
Trunk line, columns, no

In general, though U.K. English has many differing words for the same thing, e.g. Something as simple as a deep fried, battered, potato slice might have to be ordered in native dialog at a fish and chips shop:
Potato fritter
Scallop
Klondike
Smack
Scratch

Oh, and for someone not trying to be smart, you're failing... ;). There's no spare tyres or tires in a Tesla. Two countries separated by irregular vowel movements :p

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
Trees yes
Columns no
Anatomy yes
Rail line.. well any transport system might be a trunk line or trunk road, but used much less now
Swimming trunks.. yep
Suitcase.. not really.

Not come across some of those deep fried good things either. A scallop is different to a chip as it's a slice if potato, covered in batter and fried. We have French fries and chips.. chips tend to be much thicker.

But then we also have different words in different parts of the country for certain things. An example is a roundabout (a type of road junction) is called an island in some parts.

I think it's great there's diversity in the language.

I've always referred to the car as a "lift back sedan"

But as a Canadian (we can't decide between UK and US english on most things) it's a frunk

Considering frunk is really a tesla specific name (many vehicles have a front storage compartment that is not called a frunk) I've considered it more of it's own proper noun than as a shortening of 2 words.

I thought the bonnet was the cover for the (front) engine compartment, not the compartment itself. But I might be mistaken.

For what it's worth, my wife grew up in Hong Kong and Australia and she calls the storage compartment at the front of our Tesla a frunk, even though she calls the compartment at the rear the boot. We just had this conversation the other day.

Bruce.
Yes, you're right - it's the cover for the (engine) that's called the bonnet. A lot of people here call the compartment the frunk but that's because they've been immersed in American by all sorts of things (and, of course, the manual is not translated into proper English, so all the terms are in transatlantic colonial). I make a point of calling it the froot just to be bloody-minded.

• Funny
Reactions: mblakele
Nor wheels (only Americans call a wheel & tyre combination a spare tire).

Yes, it confused me to no end when I moved here initially and heard people talking about "rotating their tires" at home. And similarly when they put on "winter tires" when it starts snowing.

I knew what it takes to put a tire on a rim and that's not something I thought a normal person ought be doing at home.

Then again, people were also talking about running new cables through existing walls and it didn't seem like it involved a hammer and chisel.

The 90's were a very confusing time for me...