Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those who miss engine sounds - take out the rear seat cushion!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a car enthusiast who love(d) a great engine note, the Model 3 can feel a bit too refined and subdued at times. I just happened to remove the rear seat cushion from my 3 SR so I could fold down the seat back flat for car camping, and noticed a 5x increase in the motor/differential sound. So for those of you who wants more mechanical noises from their model 3, give it a try, it only takes a minute to take it on and off.

IMO it is a bit more exciting to hear the motor whine at full acceleration, but I'll be leaving the seat cushion on for daily driving, it looks really ugly!

interesting, so it's okay to just unplug the connectors and the system would still be fine. I wonder if I can do the same for the aftermarket bucket seat for the passenger side.
The front seats are a completely different story. If you unplug those you will get errors, I know there are guys that have remedied that with some resistors put in the right places, but that's not something I am familiar with.

yo. This is legit... definitely gives the car a lot more character. I wasn't expecting it to make that much of a difference... especially at "WOT." Pleasantly surprised.

I'm going out on a limb, but I think one could justify augmented sounds for EVs... Mainly for the practical purpose of improving your "sense of speed" similar to how gliders play noises for changes in altitude. Don't care about the pedestrian safety aspect. :)

The concept is definitely far more lame in an ICE car, tho. With the lamest being "ICE sounds" via an EV's speakers. That one is super dumb. Augmenting the real noise of the motor is the way to go - especially after hearing my M3P w/o the rear seat. A lot more whizzing & whirring & other noises I wasn't expecting.

I was curious how Porsche does this for the Taycan and found the following -

You can hear it here: Tequipment Accessories Finder - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
Retrofit instructions: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10183502-0001.pdf

Reactions: jw934 and ftmaybe