Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those who purchased winter tires last year, give us your feedback.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TwelveVoltMan

He'll make sparks fly round your head
May 14, 2021
Raleigh, NC
I've found a few threads where winter tire options are discussed in the summer and fall of 2020, but nothing where owners reported on their satisfaction with their choices after the winter driving season. For those of you who replaced the stock tires with winter tires (or all weather or all season), what brand/model tire did you get (e.g.-Vredestein Wintrac Pro, Pirelli Sottozero 3, etc.)? What conditions do you see in winter (e.g.-mostly cold and rainy with a few light snows, frequent snow-covered roads, cold and dry with runs to ski resorts, etc.)? And most importantly, how satisfied were you with your choice? Would you recommend it to others?

Reactions: cancoi
The unfortunate thing with tires is that there's no single recommendation that is good for everyone. Comfort/durability/cornering performance/snow-ice performance/noise are all somewhat competing axes and we all have our personal requirements. Where you live / the conditions you encounter are also an important factor.
I'm running the Pirelli Sottozero 3 in Quebec, Canada, where there are multiple feet of snow in the winter, on my model 3. I bought them because the best choice for me (Nokian Hakkapellittta 9 or R3) were sold out. The Pirellis are great on dry tarmac in winter, they are not mushy, they have good directional control, similar to summer tires. They are not very good on snow and ice however, conditions I encounter fairly often. I don't see comfort, noise and durability as high importance. The choice might be completely different for you.

The unfortunate thing with tires is that there's no single recommendation that is good for everyone. Comfort/durability/cornering performance/snow-ice performance/noise are all somewhat competing axes and we all have our personal requirements. Where you live / the conditions you encounter are also an important factor.
I'm running the Pirelli Sottozero 3 in Quebec, Canada, where there are multiple feet of snow in the winter, on my model 3. I bought them because the best choice for me (Nokian Hakkapellittta 9 or R3) were sold out. The Pirellis are great on dry tarmac in winter, they are not mushy, they have good directional control, similar to summer tires. They are not very good on snow and ice however, conditions I encounter fairly often. I don't see comfort, noise and durability as high importance. The choice might be completely different for you.
Absolutely agree on Hakkapellitta for winter use. Nokia’s makes some of THE best tires imho….

I got the Sottozero 3's and drove them all winter on Mt Hood in Oregon which has feet of snow most of the winter. We had 1 - 5 feet at our Cabin in
government caps and Mt Hood Meadows had 3 feet to 15 feet at the parking lot. Most f the winter the parking lot was snow and ice covered and I must have been driving on snow or ice 70% of the time.
These are comparable with the Nokian WRG2 that I previously had on my Acura RDX and still have the WRG3's on it now. Good in the snow and on wet or dry cold pavement. I swapped them back to the OEM tires around April 1 about the time we moved back to the valley not because of the [performance but my concern not to wear them too fast in the wormer and dryer conditions (and better performance with the Continentals).
I like them and do not like studded tires unless you are going to be driving on ice most of the time, but they damage the roads quickly and to many people put them on at the start of the seasons and drive them all winter and spring while rarely visiting the snow/ice). I had one set of studded tires once and they were no better on the snow and ice, and bad performance on the pavement wet or dry.

Reactions: TwelveVoltMan