Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For Those Who Took Delivery At The factory: What was Destination Charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just found out that the "Destination charge" that dealers add to to the price of an automobile as a breakout item is Federally mandated.

So as an M3 reservation holder I'm curious to know what you were levied for destination charge if you picked up your MS at the factory.

thanx

Up until the early 1980s, the manufacturer destination charge typically varied depending on where the delivery dealer was to the factory e.g. for a car built in Michigan the charge would be less if the dealer was in Michigan than if the dealer was in Florida. However, it was eventually equalized with some possible exceptions like Hawaii and Alaska.

The Tesla destination charge would be the same whether the car is delivered in California or Massachusetts. Any additional transfer charges (e.g. moving a new inventory car from one store to another) would be at Tesla's discretion.

I picked mine up at the factory and the destination charge was $1,170. This is mandated by a federal law which was bought and paid for by the auto dealers and manufacturers to prevent people from shopping around for cheaper destinations.