Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For Those Who Went From Model 3 to Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jpfive

Supporting Member
Oct 31, 2019
Pensacola, FL
I own a Model 3 LR AWD. My wife and I love the car, but have some age-related issues with it. We are well into our 70's and are challenged sometimes getting in and out of the 3. Also, since we have bunches of grandkids, we are essentially Sanata's sleigh when we travel to see them. The Model Y seems better in both respects. You step into the car instead of down into it, and there is gobs of room for cramming it full of goodies. We have no problems with comfort in the 3 with regard to ride and noise levels. I expect the Y will be at least as good there.

So, for you that have made this switch, what were your reasons and how happy have you been with the swap?

Thanks.

Make the switch. You are prime candidates for it and you’ve already stated the reasons why. Easier entry/exit, easy and more storage, etc.

I had a 3 and went to Y. I miss the 3 for how sporty it felt, but with the acceleration boost the Y is no slouch. Even if my reasons for liking the 3 don’t match with yours, the fact is you are much better suited for the Y

I own a Model 3 LR AWD. My wife and I love the car, but have some age-related issues with it. We are well into our 70's and are challenged sometimes getting in and out of the 3. Also, since we have bunches of grandkids, we are essentially Sanata's sleigh when we travel to see them. The Model Y seems better in both respects. You step into the car instead of down into it, and there is gobs of room for cramming it full of goodies. We have no problems with comfort in the 3 with regard to ride and noise levels. I expect the Y will be at least as good there.

So, for you that have made this switch, what were your reasons and how happy have you been with the swap?

Thanks.

I loved the 3 so much, I was ready to regret buying the Y but it’s the complete opposite. I’m so in love, it’s extremely spacious for me and still drives like a sedan, except I’m higher. The only thing I noticed is that it’s not as fast moving from 0 at the stop light but I heard the acceleration boost takes care of that so i’m about to take the plunge. To be honest, the price difference between the Y and 3 make no sense to me...the Y is too amazing for that lil difference. You should go for a test drive, and try different wheels if you can. The Y was made for me.

We now have both, a 2020 AWD LR Model 3 and a 2020 AWD Y. I drove the 3 for almost a year while waiting for the Y, and just picked up the Y on Monday. My knee loves not crawling out of a car anymore. I’m only 30 but I have a really bad knee and it’s screams. every time.

The things I have noticed between the two so far:
  • The model Y is slower off the line. There is a lag in acceleration, and I have not yet bought the acceleration boost but intend to before the end of the year.
  • The Y feels WAY bigger. I know they are really close in size (~3in) but it feels like a monster. I am sure I will get used to it, but I found it rather jarring on the drive home from pickup.
  • Seems noisier, but in a different way. The cabin is more "boomy" and the noise is a deeper sound. In the 3 the noise all seems from the tires but the Y seems like a deeper noise. I am also on the 20" wheels, so this may vary.
  • Back seats in the Y are way better. I was under the assumption the seats were the same, just lifted, but they are not. I find them more comfy and supportive... and they recline :p
  • THE STORAGE IN THE Y IS INCREDIBLE.
  • Visibility in the 3 is better for the rear
I will say I will miss the 3 in a few ways, mainly in speed and cornering, but the Y is a much better fit for me. I am really surprised just how different they feel and I suggest test driving one before buying (I did not). I don't think anyone would be sad going from the Y to a 3 or from a 3 to a Y. Both are excellent and I love them both in different ways.

If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer :)

Attachments

• IMG_4125.JPG
    IMG_4125.JPG
    919.1 KB · Views: 134
I recently purchased the acceleration boost and it makes the worst part about the Y (off the line acceleration) and transforms it to its strength.

It was by far my biggest complaint about the Y. It just felt sluggish, especially compared to my 3. However the boost fixed that and then some. If you have the 2k, I highly recommend it as it completely changes the dynamic of the vehicle.

Happy to answer questions about it

We now have both, a 2020 AWD LR Model 3 and a 2020 AWD Y. I drove the 3 for almost a year while waiting for the Y, and just picked up the Y on Monday. My knee loves not crawling out of a car anymore. I’m only 30 but I have a really bad knee and it’s screams. every time.

• The model Y is slower off the line. There is a lag in acceleration, and I have not yet bought the acceleration boost but intend to before the end of the year.
  • The Y feels WAY bigger. I know they are really close in size (~3in) but it feels like a monster. I am sure I will get used to it, but I found it rather jarring on the drive home from pickup.
  • Seems noisier, but in a different way. The cabin is more "boomy" and the noise is a deeper sound. In the 3 the noise all seems from the tires but the Y seems like a deeper noise. I am also on the 20" wheels, so this may vary.
  • Back seats in the Y are way better. I was under the assumption the seats were the same, just lifted, but they are not. I find them more comfy and supportive... and they recline :p
I will say I will miss the 3 in a few ways, mainly in speed and cornering, but the Y is a much better fit for me. I am really surprised just how different they feel and I suggest test driving one before buying (I did not). I don't think anyone would be sad going from the Y to a 3 or from a 3 to a Y. Both are excellent and I love them both in different ways.

1) I agree it’s a noticeable lag, I too am hoping the acceleration boost changes that.
2) That was my biggest surprise, it’s so much bigger than the 3 inside. I’m still trying to get used to it a week later
3) I think your tire is the big factor here. I tested both the 19 and 20 and I had to go with the 19 because it was way less impact on bumps and less noiser. I actually find the 19Y more quiet than the 19 on the 3. Even though I preferred the 20 look, I stuck to the 19 and will powder coat
4 and 5) Agree! More comfortable and more storage
6) the visibility bothered me while I test drove the car but I got comfortable after owning the car because of the assistance from the cameras. I agree that the 3 visibility is better but then you won’t have the full sky roof view.

Thanks for the thoughtful and helpful replies. I really appreciate the community that we have on this forum. I have an appointment to call my SA this afternoon to finalize the order. It will be handled through the Decatur store. I'll be duplicating the configuration of my Model 3, LR AWD. White on white and 19's.

I recently purchased the acceleration boost and it makes the worst part about the Y (off the line acceleration) and transforms it to its strength.

It was by far my biggest complaint about the Y. It just felt sluggish, especially compared to my 3. However the boost fixed that and then some. If you have the 2k, I highly recommend it as it completely changes the dynamic of the vehicle.

Happy to answer questions about it

So happy to hear that. This is my complaint about the Y as well. You’ve convinced me, I’ll buy mine now. Thankfully we have 48 hours to change our mind.

Thank you for the photo and helpful post.

Thanks for this thread. I loved the P85DL, love my P3D+ more but keep wishing there was a bit more space and higher seats. I'll switch soon, I think. I keep wanting more range, but rationally Superchargers are now everywhere so that is an irrational desire.

Reactions: jpfive
A surprising aspect of the Y to me is how sitting higher above the dash makes the front feel bigger than the 3. I also prefer the bent knee position from the raised driver seat in the Y as opposed to the feet straight out in the 3.

I think most drivers would have a clear preference of these positions. There are tall drivers that love the 3 seating position. I don't.

The back seat view of the roof in the Y is glorious. I've sat in back once and will probably never do it again. For me the glass roof in both the 3 and the Y are inconsequential from the front seats.

The difference in size between the 3 and the Y is bigger than it looks in photos and videos. Some Europeans who are looking for a hatchback 3 may find the Y feels too big for their environment.

A few additional observations moving from 3 to Y.

Noise: The Y has much less wind noise than the 3. However, the Y has more road noise. Not tire to road noise, but an annoying clu-clung sound from every little bump or wrinkle on the road. I'm starting to get used to it, and don't notice it too much if I keep the radio a little bit loud. On a perfectly smooth road it is almost dead silent.

Seats: People say the seats are the same, but the front seats are definitely more comfortable on the Y. Firmer and more supportive. It was one of the first comments each family member made when they went for a ride.

Display: Both cars are red. The 3 is displayed as a vivid bright red car on the dispay, close to the true color of the car. The Y is displayed as a muted dull red colour. Also, the road lines are displayed much dimmer on the Y. A very minor thing, but a noticable difference.

Performance: As others have mentioned, the Y felt sluggish and was not fun to drive compared to my "stealth" 3, but that was totally resolved with the accelearation boost, which I highly recommend if you can spare the $2K.

Fit / finish: A couple of issues but they will be resolved. The 3 on the other hand was delivered absolutely perfect.

Visors: The M3 visors were held in place by a clip. Within the first 3 months both clips broke. Mobile service techs replaced them and told me it was a common problem because the screws were over torqued. The Model Y visors are held in place by a magnetic clip. Model 3 clips may have been upgraded for 2020, I don't know.

Side mirrors: The Model 3 had self dimming side mirrors; the Y does not.

Overall, I think the Y is a better value and a better vehicle especially for us older folks.

Cheers