TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

For Those With "Clicking" Sounds While Turning

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by theslimshadyist, Feb 7, 2017.

1. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share this as an FYI. My MS was experiencing clicking sounds up front primarily when turning the steering wheel to the left. However, the issue was resolved and below are the notes from the tech.

"Test drove vehicle and verified customer complaint. Found noise coming from front sub frame skid plate. Modified skid plate and test drove vehicle, customer complaint was corrected".

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Another data point...

I had a similar popping/clicking and it was a suspension issue. I don't have the paperwork handy right now or I'd post more details.

3. LittoDevil

LittoDevil Member

The noise is actually coming from the steering rack to the front sub frame.. that's the specific answer. They fix it by adding a shim to the steering rack mounting points, it's a technical service bulletin and a known issue. The newer Model S has a totally redesigned steering rack that's designed in house. I forgot which vehicle the original steering rack is from but it's from another vehicle.. i want to say range rover but I can't remember. I had the same issue as well and I'm very close to the techs and engineers at Tesla and was inquiring about that hehe.

-Larry

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I had a faint clicking sound, and it turned out to be a wiring harness rubbing on the steering column.

5. LittoDevil

LittoDevil Member

Oh thats bad.. imagine if the wiring harness got rubbed or chewed thru!.. the clicking sound I had was much more prominent.. like.. really loud and you can actually feel it in the car.. lol

-Larry

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Well it was easily fixed, and I was relieved that it wasn't the start of something that could get progressively worse.

7. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Good to know that your info aligned with what the tech diagnosed with my car, it makes me feel better that this is a known issue and not a "one off".

8. SarahsDad

SarahsDad Member

Ahh, glad I found this thread. Have noticed increasingly frequent but somewhat random clicking sounds, almost knocking, coming from R front of car, usually when first starting to drive, when hitting minor bumps or turning left. Sounds like the OP's problem. Will check with service tomorrow.

9. Gig103

Gig103 Member

Good to know. I had them test drive mine a while back and was told it was "In spec". Any chance someone has the TSB number so I can call and be ready for them?

Data point - P85D.

10. Ahisaac

Ahisaac Member

I'm experiencing the same issue. I took it in on Thursday last week and have an Appt for this Tuesday. I'll have more details once the work is underway / completed.