Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those with free unlimited supercharging...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had that once because i got an 5 min idle fee because there was no notification sent to my phone and the card on file was long expired.
I could only do it on the car and not the tesla website. But i still have free SC and have never paid for the power in over 3 years.

Your car includes free unlimited super CHARGING, not free unlimited super parking. I'm sure they're well within their rights to bill you for blocking a stall while not charging and then shutting off your access if you refuse to pay. Nearly all (admittedly not all, but nearly all) Superchargers I've visited are clearly marked as "Tesla charging only".

what do they do to people who aren't dependent on them when those people block a stall (also known as ICE-ing)? A vast majority of these lots are, again, city owned. So its really case by case if someone (who?) calls a tow company (which?) to tow away your vehicle (tesla or otherwise).

Generally, considering myself a "friendly" owner, I know what they are trying to do, and I'm happy they are coming up with _SOME_ way to keep people movin along... just considering the slippery slope that is my very old car with lots of very old contractual agreements between Tesla and myself. Its part of the reason a lot of us early folks supported the Model S in the first place.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
You can still supercharge without putting up payment method.

Attachments

• IMG_20200901_101008.jpg
    IMG_20200901_101008.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 103
I am the second owner to my Tesla. Previous owner had free supercharging (why I bought this specific one) I have this message pop up. Anyway to get ride of it without contacting the previous owner? Not gonna lie I forgot to move the bar to full when I can back after 5min I’m sure it went to idle (I’m sure the reason for the message) anyway to get ride of it to get supercharging for free again?

I‘m guessing the credit card on file expired. I don’t know the year of your car but your profile picture shows a refresh S. About the time of the refresh, Tesla granted unlimited lifetime supercharging but this time the supercharging was not transferrable to a second owner. I have a 2017 S with unlimited supercharging that is not transferrable.

If the car has transferrable supercharging then you’ll want to make sure Tesla knows you are the new owner and entitled to continue free supercharging, and you’ll probably want to put a new credit card on file. If the car’s free supercharging was not transferrable, then you are not entitled to continue free supercharging. Since the car is linked to the original owner’s Tesla account, then I believe you will not be able to put in a valid credit card linked to the car.

Was the free supercharging transferrable on your car?

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Not sure where can I find that information if it’s transferable or not?
It's convoluted, but from what I understand every car that took delivery before Jan 15th, 2017 should have transferrable free supercharging. But here is the convoluted instructions that can help, and here's a walkthrough for ease of access, but not a guarantee.

Step 1.
Sign into your Tesla Account, "Manage" your vehicle and click "Details" under your VIN Number. You'll get something like this:

1656274879529.png

If your Specs don't have "Free Unlimited Supercharging" then you have no form of Free Supercharging. If it is there, right-click on the words "Free Unlimited Supercharging" and click "Inspect." You'll get the browser developer console (prolly nerdy for some). You'll get this:

1656275143302.png

If the entry has SC01 in the "data-test" attribute, then allegedly you have Free Unlimited Supercharging that is transferable.

Cheers!

what do they do to people who aren't dependent on them when those people block a stall (also known as ICE-ing)? A vast majority of these lots are, again, city owned. So its really case by case if someone (who?) calls a tow company (which?) to tow away your vehicle (tesla or otherwise).

Generally, considering myself a "friendly" owner, I know what they are trying to do, and I'm happy they are coming up with _SOME_ way to keep people movin along... just considering the slippery slope that is my very old car with lots of very old contractual agreements between Tesla and myself. Its part of the reason a lot of us early folks supported the Model S in the first place.
I called the city on a jacked up truck parked blocking a charger. They said “private property, not our problem”.

I’ve also seen Teslas sitting unplugged in supercharger stalls (why?) Tesla wouldn’t know or charge for that.

You must keep a credit card on file to continue to use Supercharging after you have incurred idle fees. If you don't, you will not be able to use Supercharging in the future. This is a reasonable fee for the service Tesla is providing. Put your credit card on file and make it easy on yourself if you want to use the Tesla Supercharging network. This is silly whining.

You will not be responsible for any unauthorized charges, but certain fees you have agreed to already, like idle fees.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Specifically, you have agreed to have a valid credit card on file with Tesla for payment of any fees. This is in your Purchase Agreement:

Privacy Policy; Payment Terms for Services; Supercharger Fair Use Policy. Tesla’s Customer Privacy Policy; Payment Terms for
Services and Supercharger Fair Use Policy are incorporated into this Agreement and can be viewed at www.tesla.com/about/legal.

Going to the incorporated link reference says you are required to keep a payment method on file.