TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

For those with orders awaiting or recently past confirmation

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Xminus6, Oct 20, 2016.

  1. Xminus6

    Xminus6 Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2015
    Messages:
    360
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
    I just spoke to a Delivery Specialist in Dublin. He told me a few things that seem contradictory to what I've read but I'll lay it out here anyway:

    • If you've placed an order recently, even if your order has been confirmed, you will NOT have to pay the extra $1000 upgrade price for AEP, but you WILL still have to cover the difference between AP1 and EAP, which is $2000. You will not get EAP at the price of AP1.

    • The part that I find contradictory is that he said AP1 software DOES work and is validated to work on the 4/8 camera AP2 hardware suite. If you choose not to pay the $2000/$3000 to upgrade to EAP, you will get AP1 software operating on AP2 hardware. I asked him about this repeatedly and he said it was confirmed by corporate. I still question his information on this topic but I asked him very explicitly if my interpretation was correct and he confirmed it.

    • He didn't have a cutoff point for me on when you would have to decide on AEP upgrade to avoid the extra $1000 fee. It definitely wasn't confirmation and it definitely was before delivery but there wasn't a clear time limit on when you would have to make that decision.

    I chose to buy the upgrade to EAP right now anyway, so it doesn't affect me. But I'm holding off on the additional Autonomous fee since nobody really knows when it might happen. I live in CA, so it's probably more likely to happen earlier for us than some other states that aren't addressing autonomous cars with state regulations already.
     
  2. dave.rwc

    dave.rwc Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2016
    Messages:
    8
    Location:
    94065
    i placed an order a few days before the announcement. my DM basically said the same thing:
    • i will get AP1 functionality on AP2 hardware
    • i can upgrade to EAP for $2k before delivery or $3k after delivery
    • i can upgrade to full self-driving capability for $5k before delivery or $6k after delivery
    i'm going to decide right before delivery in december, but will most likely go with full self-driving since AP is one of the major reasons i'm getting a tesla.
     
  3. RocketGoBoom

    RocketGoBoom Member

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2016
    Messages:
    56
    Location:
    USA
    Same situation. I have had a Model S since 2013.

    I decided to upgrade a few weeks ago for the auto steering assist and the $7,500 tax credit this year. Since they are getting closer to 200,000 cars I thought now was a good time. I had no idea that AP 2.0 was coming. I have not been reading about this stuff lately.

    So my option choices just locked in on October 15th. I had selected the $3,000 option available at the time for 1.0 AP.
    Now that I am in this limbo between 1.0 and 2.0 I have to figure all of this out.

    I am grateful that my car is a December delivery and will have the AP 2.0 as an option.

    I spoke with another Tesla owner that has 1.0 hardware, but he never activated it.
    He told me Tesla contacted him and offered to give him a free trial for a month. He said it was also offered to him for $2,000 to activate it after he already owned the car.

    I have my doubts about the price for upgrade being more expensive after the fact.
    I suspect Tesla will negotiate on that issue on a case by case basis.

    Looking at the website, I would have to pay another $2,000 now to upgrade to the EAP and $5,000 to get full 2.0 AP.

    I have another 4-6 weeks to figure this out. Going to be reading and watching closely.
     
  4. dave.rwc

    dave.rwc Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2016
    Messages:
    8
    Location:
    94065
    that's interesting. i would like to hold off on EAP until the dust settles, but didn't want to pay the $1k for after delivery penalty. but this sounds like i may not have to pay the penalty if i wait...

    btw, there a longer thread on this topic:
    AP 2.0 on submitted orders
     
  5. MP3Mike

    MP3Mike Active Member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2016
    Messages:
    3,631
    Location:
    Oregon
    I assume you wouldn't' actually get AP1 software, you would get AP2 software but only using 1 camera and the AP1 feature set.

    This is likely the same mode that AP2 goes into if all 7 of the other cameras fail and/or get dirty/blocked. (i.e. gracefully degrade the functionality.)
     

Share This Page