Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those with small garages -- do you back in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a one car garage with about a 91" opening, so I'll have just over a couple of inches on each side of the mirrors before folding. I saw some others here mention that their cars are a tight fit. I back my current car in easily but it's a G35 and about 9" narrower than the Model S. So do you folks find it easier to back in or go in front first? I'm asking because it will make a difference in where I put the NEMA 14-50 outlet. Thanks!

For what it's worth:

I pull forward into my garage. It's a little tight front-to-back (but not side-to-side), so the car's nose is less than 12" from the garage wall. My NEMA 14-50 outlet is on that same wall, and the UMC reaches the charge port in back pretty comfortably. I have intentionally positioned the cable so it doesn't rest on the floor, to keep it from being stepped on, and it's too close to the car to trip over. I loop the cable onto the grey hook when it's not plugged in.

IMG_3556.JPG
IMG_3558.JPG

I back in to my primary parking spot without issue and I am used to it, but I have a slightly wider garage with about 5 inches on each side of the garage door.

Same here. There's an expansion joint in the concrete garage floor that I can use to aim the car properly: outside edge of the left side tires go right on the joint. If you've got something like that you can use, backing in while watching what's going on with just the driver's side rear-view mirror is a piece of cake, and you can easily stay within +/- 2 inches laterally.

Unfortunately, as you practice your parking technique you'll probably want to fold the driver's side mirror for better clearance. Which is, as they say, suboptimal.

I find backing into a garage much easier than backing out.

I back into my garage, and have ever since I have had a garage. My fit isn't super tight. But I find maneuvering the mirrors left/right going backwards much easier. And I don't have to worry about going into my stone wall/embankment or shrubbery when leaving the garage.

Pull in Back Out. I'v had the Leaf for 2 years, and will be charging with my charger that I got from Duke Energy free for 2 years and had the option to buy for $200.00 which I paid for last week. As you can see it came with a very long cord and will be plenty for the Model S.

IMG_1398.JPG
IMG_1397.JPG
IMG_1396.JPG

I have a one car garage with about a 91" opening, so I'll have just over a couple of inches on each side of the mirrors before folding. I saw some others here mention that their cars are a tight fit. I back my current car in easily but it's a G35 and about 9" narrower than the Model S. So do you folks find it easier to back in or go in front first? I'm asking because it will make a difference in where I put the NEMA 14-50 outlet. Thanks!
I have the same setup and find it much easier to back out than to back in. I put a duct tape line on the garage floor that I look for in the rear view camera to know exactly where to stop. I also put foam pads on the brick to either side of the garage door opening--just in case. Finally, on the driver side I lined the wall with carpet padding to prevent the door from hitting the wall.

Oh, and I also replaced an Infiniti G series.

Careful parking can be done either way. I suggest that you choose front in or front out depending on convenience and efficiency. Care and planning. Tape on floor. Ball hanging from the ceiling. Padding or carpet on the wall. Mirrors tilted slightly down to show the sides of the car. Constant vigilance even after you think you know how to go in and out.

I scraped my bumper on the garage door after 6 months due to complaisance. $800.

I back in to a 94" slot and take it slow, watching the clearance off the driver mirror. What makes it fairly easy is the great speed control with the pedal. You can really just creep in and, if misaligned, pull forward and go again.

I back in so I can get out cause I park on the left side of the garage. Very easy and now and I ONLY back into parking spots cause I am so used to it. Tilt mirrors down a little and I watch one passenger side as I back in, and have a ball and tape on the floor.

park.jpg

park3.jpg

Last edited:
The Model S is a big car, seemed to suck up all the garage space the first time I parked inside. Old house, 91" garage door opening, leaving 2-3" of mirror clearance on each side. I drive in and back out, mostly out of habit. Plants very close to driveway on driver's side, so easier to see and gauge clearance if I drive in nose first. Don't know if the garage door opener sensor would work if backing in.

Charging outlet 18" in from garage door, opposite side of car from charging port. Easy to drape cable on floor across back end of car. Inside door to garage opens to rear of car and charging port - nice. Downside, requires opening the garage door to plug or unplug charging cable, as there is about 3" clearance between rear of car and garage door (I always watch the door close - paranoid, I guess).

Tennis ball tapping windshield for stopping forward motion (not to mention screaming red parking sensors) and in direct alignment with driver's eyes. Small, older garage with garden/lawn equipment on 2 1/2 sides makes for a tight fit. Cannot walk around car when parked in the garage.