Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those worrying about "storing" a MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dolfs

Supporting Member
I have seen several threads on this topic with people worried about battery depletion, but the main battery pack as well as the 12V battery. My car has now been sitting for 8 days (not plugged in). It started with the battery at 81.33% (according to Teslafi). Now 8 days later it is at 79%.
Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 6.31.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 6.35.55 PM.png

I am not sure why this is being reported as 3% here, but I suspect the 79% might have been rounded up from 68.something. Anyway the point really is that battery depletion, provided the car goes to sleep (min does, and TeslaFi is careful to not wake it up, and I don't wake it up with the Tesla app), is minimal. The phantom drain screenshot is just from today. Some days it reports 0. FYI: This car is sitting outside in SF Bay Area warm weather with cabin heat overprotection on.

My car is going to remain "stored" for another 24 days and, at this rate, I would expect the battery to still be at 70% or so. I'll follow up later.

In case you are wondering why the car is "stored" for so long? Trip to Montana for a month. Could have done it in the MY luggage wise, but not so great charging wise. House here is not yet setup for charging. West Yellowstone is overloaded with tourists, so both destination chargers and the super chargers in town are constantly occupied. Also going off road frequently, so our SUV is the better choice (also holds the fly fishing rods full length completely assembled!).

Interesting, I'm in similar situation, my MY has been parked (not plugged in) for 3 weeks now, just lost 3%, hopefully it wont drain much as the weather gets colder in next few days (expecting 12F in Seattle) and I will be staying away for another 3 weeks.

@TesMY
Do you park at home or in the steet?

I get also about 3% when not driving my car for more than two weeks.

My car is parked in a garage, so it is not exposed to the cold wind.

I would recommend using a 12V Battery Monitor so you can check the 12V battery using Bluetooth.
I noticed that the 12V battery get recharged, by the in-board DC/DC converter, for approximately for 2 h every 2 days.

Battery Monitor  12 V Bluetooth .jpg

I am using a 12V battery tender on another ICE car, I have a timer and charge for one hour every night at 3A max.
I am tempting doing the same to my Tesla, to see what would be then the resulting drain on the propulsion battery?

@TesMY
What kind of graphical tool did you used to make your avatar?