Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For Trade 2017 Model X P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 Model X P100D, Midnight Silver metallic, White interior w/carbon fiber, ludicrous, has all options, 6 seater, ventilated seats, full self driving, etc. 23,712 miles today. Both 20” silver and 22” grey rims available. Located in Western New York.

Wanted to gauge interest on some type of trade for a Model 3, must be AWD version. Would consider sale, too.

2017 Model X P100D, Midnight Silver metallic, White interior w/carbon fiber, ludicrous, has all options, 6 seater, ventilated seats, full self driving, etc. 23,712 miles today. Both 20” silver and 22” grey rims available. Located in Western New York.

Wanted to gauge interest on some type of trade for a Model 3, must be AWD version. Would consider sale, too.
Free supercharging won’t transfer correct? Tesla offers free lifetime supercharging on X which can add up to $50,000 over 100,000 miles.

I did a rough comparison on KBB with my mileage and stock mileage for the year of model 3 (did not select other options) to get a ballpark/starting point of the value of each vehicle and what the (partial) trade would likely entail.

The whole point of trying to trade is that hopefully neither party takes a total bath on depreciation because you're not selling at wholesale and buying at retail. And, it seems like there are a lot of people that bought a 3 and wish they had an X. I could go trade this in for a brand new 3, but i thought and am seeing there is some interest in the idea. Tough part is the X costs more, and the Model 3 buyers might not have the ability to move up to a performance X. A performance Model 3 would close the gap a bit more, and is OK too - just getting a starting point with the images, below.

For me, the X is now a 3rd vehicle and I don't need the extra size/cost of the X and a model 3 would still keep me electrified.

2017-modelx-2019-model3.jpg
2017-modelx-2018-model3.jpg

Last edited:
KBB pricing on the X and S’s seems off and too high compared to the recent reductions in new S and X pricing. I believe it is because KBB numbers reflect historical advertised pricing that has yet to catch up with actual transaction numbers. It’s amazing because Tesla has still been giving good trade values against buying the new reduced price S and X’s making it not too bad to move up from an older car or even a 3 to a bigger Tesla. As another example if you follow these threads 2018 and 2019 Tesla demo Performance cars have been sold recently for very similar pricing to the KBB listed prices on older used Performance cars.

KBB pricing on the X and S’s seems off and too high compared to the recent reductions in new S and X pricing. I believe it is because KBB numbers reflect historical advertised pricing that has yet to catch up with actual transaction numbers. It’s amazing because Tesla has still been giving good trade values against buying the new reduced price S and X’s making it not too bad to move up from an older car or even a 3 to a bigger Tesla. As another example if you follow these threads 2018 and 2019 Tesla demo Performance cars have been sold recently for very similar pricing to the KBB listed prices on older used Performance cars.

Im not sure what point you are trying to make. The X or 3 value in your opinion is not accurate?

Tesla would offer to give me about $10-15k LESS than any of these guides suggest should be the trade value, which is a huge discrepancy. A good friend of mine with a Model S experienced the same. Not sure how you view they've been offering good trade values. 50% of value after less than 24 months. Again with a 3 on trade, its not going to be too different (i.e. they want to pay least amount possible) - its the difference between wholesale and retail and them needing to make $ on both ends. Thats why someone looking to change to X might find my vehicle appealing.

I won't fault Tesla, but won't agree with them currently offering "good trade values". The idea that they publically say their vehicles don't depreciate like normal is irritating. If you are a seller and want to fully buy into that, you'll be waiting a while.

Was comparing NADA guides for values too, show similar.
modelx-model3-nada.jpg

Quick look at Tesla's site couldn't find a used AWD model 3, but they ARE selling the X lower than KBB or NADA would have you believe. So with that Tesla is playing with the market.

model-x-tesla-model-3.jpg