TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Forbes says CHAdeMO is bigger and better than Supercharger network....

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by sorka, Sep 14, 2016.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

Who Has The World's Biggest EV Charging Network? Trigger Warning: It Ain't Tesla

This was my response. Hopefully the moderator will allow my comment through on Forbes:

When comparing Tesla's supercharger network to CHAdeMO, there are several key points that were left out of the article that make a fundamental difference in the usability of each of these charging networks.

1) CHAdeMO's fastest charging rate is 62.5KW vs Tesla's 120KW soon to be 150KW. This means the 20 minute bathroom and drink refresh stop that you do in your Tesla to charge up enough to drive the 2.5 hours to the next supercharger is now going to be a 40 minute stop each and every time. But wait, that's only if you actually get the 62.5KW. If you've read the accounts of people actually using CHAdeMO, the actual L3 charging rates are generally far lower than the maximum that the spec can handle. Now your bathroom and drink stop has been stretched out to more time than you're actual travel time to the next charger. Not practical for convenient long distance travel.

2) CHAdeMO doesn't have a bank of charging stalls for most locations. Most locations have a single charging stall while Superchargers have anywhere from 6 to 14 stalls. Nobody is going to plan a trip using CHAdeMO if they might have to wait several hours before they can get their turn. Not a chance.

3) CHAdeMO is more often inoperable. Yes, Supercharger stacks go out from time to time and you end up with a pair of stalls that charge slower or not at all, but when you have 6 to 14 stalls at each location this is nowhere near as big a deal as when you pull up to the ONE CHAdeMO spot and if it's not already taken, you're praying that it's not broken because if it is, you're stuck unless there's an L2 backup at which point you'll be stuck for the next 8 hours charging and only that's only if the L2 isn't already taken up by some other EV(add however much time it takes for that Leaf to vacate).

4) CHAdeMO has limited access at many locations. Just check the map. Many have times that match the business they are at. Many are at dealerships and are only available when the dealer is open. Many are closed on holidays which is the worst time to not have a charging network available. Also note that the CHAdeMO at dealerships are almost always in use. You can't plan a long distance trip with short charging stops with CHAdeMO.

5) CHAdeMO locations don't facilitate long distance travel. CHAdeMO locations are clustered in large metrolpolitan areas on the west and east coast and not along routes that allow you to get from one charger to the next charger without running out of juice. The middle 2/3rds of the country have a small sprinkling of CHAdeMO chargers. Look at the Tesla Supercharger map and see just how evenly spaces they are along all major routes.

The bottom line is the CHAdeMO can't be used for practical long distance travel with overall trip travel times matching typical ICE travel times like cars that use the Tesla supercharger network.

• Like x 13
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

Tesla cars can use the SuperCharger network PLUS all Chademo networks.

• Like x 4
  3. SΞXY P100D

SΞXY P100D Member

More BS from the Tesla haters. Bring it on! It's free advertising for Tesla.

4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

the chademo is better format?? I don't think so.
    while there might be more chademo locations than SpC locations, many of the chademos are at nissan/bmw/ford dealerships where it is a coin toss if you'll be allowed to charge your tesla at. the reliability of the chademos I've encountered is questionable and a typical SpC location has 4-8 chargers most chademos have only a single charger.
    any increase in charging options is a good thing but pitting one against another format isn't productive at this stage of the game.

5. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Couldnt disagree more. Having used both on many occasions, superchargers are far superior to any other existing charging network. Period.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. Boourns

Boourns Member

By Forbes' logic the biggest charging network in the world is L1 wall outlets. I can see three here in my office right now. Way more of these than Tesla Superchargers!

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 4
  7. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Doesn't matter to me which one is better unless they are side by side... I can use either charger / system as a ModelS owner (with adapter). For everyone else, they are locked into CHAdeMO

• Like x 1
  8. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

The author should get out PlugShare and try to actually plan some trips. Then go to evtripplanner.com and do the same. The difference will immediately become apparent.

As soon as you see someone comparing the number of charging spots, you know they've completely failed to understand how this stuff even works. Or more likely, have ignored whatever understanding they have, because it gets in the way of a good story.

• Love x 1
  9. scottm

scottm Active Member

Yup!! they put your comment up on the article.

It's the first of 5 comments I just saw.

All comments slammed the article.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  10. Acrono

Acrono Member

What a joke. The article sounds like it was written by a group of mentally handicapped chimpanzees.

11. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I think you've just insulted the chimpanzees.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

It is well established that the author of that article, Bertel Schmitt, repeatedly disregards real world data (as clearly detailed by the OP) in favor of writing delusional pieces bashing Tesla. I don't know what planet he lives on, but it's not the one I inhabit.

• Informative x 1
  13. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Forbes schmorbes! I discounted their credibility about a year ago.

• Like x 1
  14. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

Do they still insist you disable your ad-blockers? Not opening my machine to their malware delivery system, sorry...

15. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Yes they do! Idiots.

16. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

CHAdeMO is a ridiculous design. Amazing that Tesla can get twice as fast Lvl 3 charging and Lvl 2 charging thru a connector 1/3 the site of a CHAdeMO. So much for Japanese innovation...

17. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

Sure, let's head over to Portland Oregon from where I live in Boise, probably one of the most common trips around here. Oh, whoops, the gap between CHAdeMOs is 294 miles over the mountain range of Eastern Oregon. There's not an electric car on Earth that can make that jump.

• Like x 2
  18. sorka

sorka Active Member

P100D (315 mile range ;)

19. gregd

gregd Member

Or the Roadster with the 3.0 battery (340 mi) and Tony's JdeMO adapter...

20. commasign

commasign Active Member

Whatever number they have for CHAdeMO stations, multiply that by 0.5 or even 0.25 to account for the units that are broken/unusable/inaccessible, or occupied beyond a reasonable wait time.

• Like x 2