TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Forbes: What Do Toyota And Mercedes See In Tesla? A Bit Of Themselves

Discussion in 'News' started by sajeevar, Jun 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. sajeevar

sajeevar Member

2. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

I don't think the last sentence is fully correct. AFAIK the RAV4 EV is assembled somewhere else (Canada?). Perhaps the drive trains are produced in Fremont. But I thought that $100m of the govt loan where for a drive train production facility in Menlo park. Can anyone shed light on this?

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes, the Rav4 EV is assembled in Canada, where they build all the regular Rav4s. The drive trains are built in California.

4. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I think that all these brands (Tesla, Toyota and Mercedes) have features that could be of interest for each other.
    For instance I saw the new Lexus IS (as it's very well known Lexus is the luxury brand of Toyota) and I have been amazed by its safety standards. The Lexus IS has pedestrian and obstacle detection and avoidance both for the front side and the rear side, ACC, blind spot detection.
    I hope that one day Model S and Gen III will have all these features (including AWD and power folding mirrors).

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Yeah, I think the article is off on their claims of where the Rav4 EV assembled. It contradicts Toyota | Toyota and Tesla Announce Decision to Build RAV4 Electric Vehicle at Toyota's Woodstock, Ontario Production Facility.

As for $100 million, if you're talking about the $ Toyota paid Tesla, it's in TSLA's SEC filings. Toyota Rav4 EV Forum View topic - Why did Toyota build Rav4 EV? What happens after 2014 ? has an excerpt. If you Google for some keywords in from excerpts, you can find the filings in question.