TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Force footwell lights on?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by bmah, Jan 7, 2016.

1. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

I'm pretty sure what the answer is but...

Is there any way, with the car in motion, to force the footwell lights to come on?

The vehicle in question is a Model S 85D, April 2015 build, tech package with autopilot (and various other options that are probably not relevant) but no premium lighting. The use case for this is that we're on the road and a passenger drops something to the floor, and needs to use the footwell lights to find it.

"Dome" on the center console GUI doesn't do it. And because the car doesn't have premium lighting, there's no "Ambient", which I'm not sure would turn on the footwell lights anyway. Opening a door turns on the footwell lights, but is obviously not safe to do when the car is in motion.

Thanks for any insights!

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Only way that I have figured is to open a door. I have to do that repeatedly when vacuuming the carpets in my garage because it is a black hole without the floor lights on. The domes stay on all the time with the door open. But the floor is timed for some reason.

Probably not the best idea while driving...

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Pet peeve of mine.

4. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

Even with premium lighting, the Ambient switch does not turn the lights on if you toggle it. Opening the door is the only way I know of to turn on the footwell lights.

I keep a small mag-lite flashlight in the glove box for these occasions, and general emergencies.

5. aus

aus Member

This is another area where Tesla could really improve on. The new S class and 7 series have crazy interior ambient lighting while the car is in motion.

6. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

Thanks all for the confirmation that I'm not missing anything obvious. I'll probably do the mag-lite flashlight route.

7. Dbitter1

Dbitter1 Journeyman Member