Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Force GPS Location Update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model 3 today. The navigation seems to think I’m on the other side of the country. It’s not stuck... it moves as I drive, only it thinks I’m in Danville, CA while I’m in NJ.

I’ve tried rebooting but that didn’t work. Any tricks or thoughts on how to get the navigation to “recenter?”

(It has been outside for about 6 hours now.)

Before this bug was fixed on my S a few months ago, I could fix it every time by using the menu option to turn off the car then wait at least 3 minutes before turning the car on again. Once I drove about a block it would pick me up on GPS again. However, you may have a defective GPS receiver and the computer is just using its last known location.

Reactions: MarkS22
Before this bug was fixed on my S a few months ago, I could fix it every time by using the menu option to turn off the car then wait at least 3 minutes before turning the car on again. Once I drove about a block it would pick me up on GPS again. However, you may have a defective GPS receiver and the computer is just using its last known location.

Thanks. I did try turning it off but it returns to the same location. They were aware of the issue at delivery and mentioned something about coming back and “resetting the GPS” if it’s not fixed by tomorrow. I appreciate the suggestion.

Had this same exact problem when I picked up on Friday. Saturday afternoon it magically fixed itself after sitting a few hours while I was at work. Id try several screen resets and turn car off for a few hours then on again should work.

• Informative
Reactions: MarkS22
Had same issue on delivery Saturday.

It took about 7 resets (both scroll wheels) and 100 miles of driving, 1 supercharge, and parking 3 times. I’m not sure which direction I was facing when sacrificing the chicken, though try sw. The combination of all-but-one worked.

Took less driving/time to calibrate cameras for AP! :)

Good luck. Might want to try a call. Have your fw version handy too. Ours was delivered with 48.30 and I believe that has a number of known issues

Had same issue on delivery Saturday.

It took about 7 resets (both scroll wheels) and 100 miles of driving, 1 supercharge, and parking 3 times. I’m not sure which direction I was facing when sacrificing the chicken, though try sw. The combination of all-but-one worked.

Took less driving/time to calibrate cameras for AP! :)

Good luck. Might want to try a call. Have your fw version handy too. Ours was delivered with 48.30 and I believe that has a number of known issues

Yeah, calibration was surprisingly fast for me, too. AP turned on at around 45 miles. (It had 16 when I got it, so I was pleasantly surprised.) Problem is that I’m restricted to 40mph on highways because it thinks I’m driving like a maniac through residential California neighborhoods and small airports. I’m surprised I haven’t triggered some warning at HQ yet.

Coincidentally, I did have a Southwest-style chicken burrito for dinner tonight, so I’m confident that completes step five.

We got our car last night and have this problem. Tried a few reboots, but nothing changed. I called the Tech Support number late last night. They said the car was seeing 16 satellites, but was not using any of them and they put in message to the local service center. I checked with the center this morning and they were looking at the issue. I'm not sure if they did anything remotely, but it started working around mid-day.

Follow up: After three days, it never corrected so a Ranger came and reset the GPS physically. (He was already coming to fix a rear brake light where the wiring harness apparently became detached.) It wasn't as simple as rebooting the software. He speculated it had something to do with a "transport mode" they put the car into when shipping.

The interesting thing to note is that the vehicle still attempts to move the car against the map, either using the GPS to show the relative movement from that original point. In my case, it was stuck initialized in California. Or, it's possible the GPS was completely non-functional and it was using internal sensors (like the wheels/odometer and a compass) to move the vehicle against the last known position similar to how it would function in a tunnel or parking garage.

In any event, it has been working for several days since it was "rebooted."

Amazing that it could see 16 satellites - I believe there are 21(working) and 3(spares) total circling the earth in a polar orbit. Possible to see at most maybe 8 at one time. Sounds like the GPS chip needs a master reset.

16 satellites, maybe not 16 GPS satellites. Probably it is 16 GPS and GLONASS together. Speaking of map location, my loaner MS would randomly shows me about 200 feet to the west of freeway. It really messed up Autopilot as it would randomly limit me to 50 mph as it thought I was flying thru the local streets LOL. I am not going to bother asking them to fix it as it is just a loaner, but it is an annoying bug.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Follow up: After three days, it never corrected so a Ranger came and reset the GPS physically. (He was already coming to fix a rear brake light where the wiring harness apparently became detached.) It wasn't as simple as rebooting the software. He speculated it had something to do with a "transport mode" they put the car into when shipping.

The interesting thing to note is that the vehicle still attempts to move the car against the map, either using the GPS to show the relative movement from that original point. In my case, it was stuck initialized in California. Or, it's possible the GPS was completely non-functional and it was using internal sensors (like the wheels/odometer and a compass) to move the vehicle against the last known position similar to how it would function in a tunnel or parking garage.

In any event, it has been working for several days since it was "rebooted."
I have had this happen multiple times. Below is the procedure that has fixed it every tine.
They CAN reset the GPS Remotely if you get the right person.

1. Call 24 hour service. If you get road side assistance you need to ask for normal service.
2. You may still get somebody that is not familiar with how to reset the GPS. These people will ask you to reboot the IC and the main display but in my experience that does not work. Ask for someone who can reset the GPS remotely like your guy did while physically at the car.
3. The correct person will ask you to pull your car over to the side of the road at a safe place and then POWER OFF THE CAR. The person will then send a GPS Reset command remotely. You will then POWER ON the car and start driving and all will be good.

We picked up our Model 3 last Saturday and on the way home, the navigation stopped functioning too. However, in our case, the car’s position on the map isn’t moving at all. The app shows that the car is still in Fremont, CA as well.

After trying a several reboots and powering down per instructions from support, I ended up taking it in to a local service center this morning. Unfortunately, I have not received any updates from them about the issue yet. I’m hoping they can fix this soon as it’s really disappointing to be without the car so soon after picking it up.