Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Force Powerwalls to charge from grid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 powerwalls hooked up to solar panels. I just had the panels removed for a roof tear off. Since my solar is no longer active the powerwalls don't charge from the grid. I am losing about 2% per day of my stored charge, Is there a way to force the powerwalls to charge from the grid? I am in northern CA and will be having a Tesla solar roof installed but that might be a while. I will call tesla tomorrow but thought someone here might have an answer.

No*

*(not any method that tesla approves of... there is a way to do it using the installer interface however it requires changing settings in there that are not customer facing). Perhaps someone seeing this will PM you a method but its not discussion we support here officially.

if you are simply worried about PW charge percentage dropping, turn them off, they will not lose that much power if not on.

Trying to resurrect this informative thread to ask a question I couldn’t find answered here. I am on a TOU plan SDGE that has a really low off peak rate $.08 from 12-6am. Is it possible to charge my powereall via the grid during that time to use the following day during peak time? That way I can sell my generated solar back at retail pricing during the partial peak (daytime) window at about $.32kwh. I believe this would get me closer to a net $0 monthly fee since my system and powerwall alone do not reduce my bill enough. That way I would only be paying for a large amount of monthly off peak volume and zero out all my partial/peak hours.

Trying to resurrect this informative thread to ask a question I couldn’t find answered here. I am on a TOU plan SDGE that has a really low off peak rate $.08 from 12-6am. Is it possible to charge my powereall via the grid during that time to use the following day during peak time? That way I can sell my generated solar back at retail pricing during the partial peak (daytime) window at about $.32kwh. I believe this would get me closer to a net $0 monthly fee since my system and powerwall alone do not reduce my bill enough. That way I would only be paying for a large amount of monthly off peak volume and zero out all my partial/peak hours.
Tesla software in the USA does not allow grid charging when paired with solar. The main reason is that it would disqualify you from the Federal Tax Credit for solar paired battery storage. The only exception is Storm Watch.

That question has actually been answered here quite a few times, and the answer is, in the US, No (not without logging into the powerwalls as installer and messing with settings users are not supposed to touch.

I also moved your post from that thread into a more recent one that asked this question, because that one was several years old.

I read a few posts about not being able to charge powerwalls from grid overnight if you have solar due to the solar ITC which lasts five years. What if you purchase a house that has solar and a powerwall installed already. Should I be able to charge overnight from the grid?

We paid a premium for the house because of solar and powewall so it would be useful to be able to charge overnight. The powerwall often isn't full when peak period starts and can run out of charge before the end of the evening, especially on overcast days.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks Svdnn. Does that apply even after 5 years from installation (i.e., does it depend on the ITC 5 year rule) or is it never intended to be possible to charge from grid?

No, it does not. In the US, currently, tesla does not allow charging from the grid if you have solar. You can google around and find information on how to log into the system as an installer and tinker with it and do it that way (completely unsupported). Since its completely unsupported, and we as end users are not "supposed" to log in as installers, Its not discussed here.

There is no tesla approved way to charge powerwalls from the grid, if you have solar, in the USA, (at owner demand) full stop. Only under stormwatch or some other non owner driven mode.

Reactions: inductive
Status
Not open for further replies.