Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forced home delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NHK X

Nov 18, 2017
Texas
Just checking to see if others have had this experience.

Had a MYP on order, delivery date was scheduled for me, and scheduled for home delivery. I tried calling corporate and my local advisor, both told me I have no choice. My two other teslas I took delivery at a SC, so I had time to inspect both the exterior and interior prior to accepting delivery.

With home delivery, car was delivered to my driveway, and I was told I can’t inspect the inside until I accept delivery. Then the driver took off. My only other option was to reject the car. I had to accept the car just based on the exterior.

Is this normal behavior? Car is fine and good build quality but this forced behavior was something new to me.

Had a MYP on order, delivery date was scheduled for me, and scheduled for home delivery. I tried calling corporate and my local advisor, both told me I have no choice. My two other teslas I took delivery at a SC, so I had time to inspect both the exterior and interior prior to accepting delivery.

With home delivery, car was delivered to my driveway, and I was told I can’t inspect the inside until I accept delivery. Then the driver took off. My only other option was to reject the car. I had to accept the car just based on the exterior.

Is this normal behavior? Car is fine and good build quality but this forced behavior was something new to me.
Normal. Even if this were SC pickup, you could only inspect the car from outside. One can get into the car once the delivery is accepted.

Correct. You need to accept delivery before you can enter the car. Also, home delivery is a forcing mechanism to have customers "accept delivery". Like someone mentioned, some highly paid Tesla employee figured this out. It's an added cost, however, for Tesla. The person who drops it off, will need to Uber back to the DC/SC.

Reactions: Jedisparky
Correct. You need to accept delivery before you can enter the car. Also, home delivery is a forcing mechanism to have customers "accept delivery". Like someone mentioned, some highly paid Tesla employee figured this out. It's an added cost, however, for Tesla. The person who drops it off, will need to Uber back to the DC/SC.
That was not the case when I picked up my car at SC on May 1.
Was able to inspect inside and out for as long as I wanted before handing over payment.

Reactions: Maric
I spoke with my DA and I was assured that I will have access to the exterior and the interior before I would accept the vehicle and hand over my paper check. Of course, the initial take from my SA was to limit inspection to the exterior, but if you insist, you will be granted access to the interior (DA will unlock the car for you). All you have to do is to discuss this issue with your DA - on the whole, Tesla employees are nice people to deal with.
It seems as if every delivery center has a different approach when it comes to inspection time and gaining access to the interior for inspection.

I'm also being forced into home delivery - I asked for was hoping to have a chance to inspect before taking delivery. Will I have opportunity to do so before taking home delivery or do they just drop it off and head on out?

As a matter of fact, they will just drop it in your driveway even if you're not home.
yesterday I got the note they were coming, and a bit later, it had been delivered. I look out and it's there by itself.

I think if you're close enough to the SC, you could go out and find it the day or two before. Mine was ready on Monday, but without notice, I needed time to arrange the financing so I selected the latest delivery date.

I did complete the external survey before doing the electronic agreements. Not sure how much leverage if I was unhappy. It turned out fine, though it seems like perhaps the seal on the charging port cover is a bit incomplete - moisture gets in.

Texas is unique because Tesla is technically breaking the law selling there. So theres so many loopholes and tricks to get around it that im sure home delivery plays a role. You shouldn't be afraid of home delivery though, the risk of any major problems is little to none and tesla has (historically) always been good about fixing issues you find after delivery.

Reactions: VQTRVA
I live very close to my Tesla Store/SC and recently my Tesla S came in and my SA said because they are so backed up with cars they would only do home delivery which I thought was crazy. They dumped it my driveway and left of course, 2 hours later it was on a flatbed back to the SC as the nobs on my yoke were broken. I don't know how they got it to my house. A month ago I took delivery at the SC for my MYP and they let me look it over before I excepted. The EV market has exploded and I think there is going to be a lot of growing pains (for us the owners).

Reactions: Maric
Now that's interesting. Basically, the local delivery center policy contradicts Tesla's corporate policy.
I didn’t push like I usually do cause I want my car so bad and transferring was not a problem for me. I just remember thinking to myself that’s weird cause I’m the seems like they are moving everything to the app which is where they wanted me to transfer the funds via the app.

I didn’t push like I usually do cause I want my car so bad and transferring was not a problem for me. I just remember thinking to myself that’s weird cause I’m the seems like they are moving everything to the app which is where they wanted me to transfer the funds via the app.
Interesting. I was only given a home delivery option and will be handing over a cashier's check (hopefully) within the next 2 hours!

Reactions: CaliX