Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forced to reject my M3 SR+ today, using this as a learning experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Printed the checklist online, EVERYONE SHOULD GO WITH THIS CHECKLIST:

Everything was looking good for the most part, they buffed out a few minor scratches, I was super excited and then I looked at my list and the last thing to check for was the Frunk as I had missed it while I was going through the list. 2 panels where dust was painted over, no way to get this out unless it’s completely sanded down and repainted which they said they couldn’t do. I was told it may take till September if I don’t take this one, I sadly had to reject. I’m paying for a new car and this is noticeable when you open the Frunk. Might not be a big deal to some but another red M3 nearby was mint under the hood. Left disappointed and made the drive 45 minutes out to Surrey/Langley

Posting my experience to make sure others do a full check before taking their Tesla’s. If I didn’t have the check list I would have taken it and they would not have fixed it. For some it may not be a big deal but for me it’s noticeable

Attachments

• 14FAB80A-6602-4106-8E66-6E843B56F217.jpeg
    14FAB80A-6602-4106-8E66-6E843B56F217.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 327
  • F7FB29BC-7958-4AC1-9D9C-2FD93C82BEBD.jpeg
    F7FB29BC-7958-4AC1-9D9C-2FD93C82BEBD.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 241
I would not mind the frunk issue too much, but there was mention of two panels with dust in the paint, which would be more concerning. If it was severe enough, I might do the same.
I believe the 2 panels they mean are the ones in the attached photos which are on the inside of the hood for the frunk. When I read the original post, I'm lead to believe they rejected it because of imperfections in paint inside the honeycomb on the underside of the frunk hood. But maybe I read it wrong.

Printed the checklist online, EVERYONE SHOULD GO WITH THIS CHECKLIST:

Everything was looking good for the most part, they buffed out a few minor scratches, I was super excited and then I looked at my list and the last thing to check for was the Frunk as I had missed it while I was going through the list. 2 panels where dust was painted over, no way to get this out unless it’s completely sanded down and repainted which they said they couldn’t do. I was told it may take till September if I don’t take this one, I sadly had to reject. I’m paying for a new car and this is noticeable when you open the Frunk. Might not be a big deal to some but another red M3 nearby was mint under the hood. Left disappointed and made the drive 45 minutes out to Surrey/Langley

Posting my experience to make sure others do a full check before taking their Tesla’s. If I didn’t have the check list I would have taken it and they would not have fixed it. For some it may not be a big deal but for me it’s noticeable
Really....Well a nice SR+ for someone else. An exterior panel, I can understand but inside an inner panel is a joke. Many automakers wouldn't even paint that area and leave in primmer of just a dusting of paint.

Really....Well a nice SR+ for someone else. An exterior panel, I can understand but inside an inner panel is a joke. Many automakers wouldn't even paint that area and leave in primmer of just a dusting of paint.
Pretty much my feeling as well. I could understand if it was in a visible location or if the paint imperfection was such that it might rust from road salt, etc. There won't be any rust issues under the frunk lid. I would definitely take the car with the imperfections just for the enjoyment of driving it for the next three months (versus waiting until September).

Reactions: marcham
I’m paying 2600$ extra for the red multi coat, this shouldn’t happen. There were multiple cars nearby that didn’t have this issue, if the rest of you can live with this, then be it. It’s a lot of money for a new car, I don’t want this imperfection on mine in not 1 but 2 spots. Looks worst in person as well. I’ll get another car matched to me
My comment was in no way to put shame to what you were doing, it was just explaining a differing opinion. Waiting another 3 months for a car over a couple imperfections that are pretty much hidden under the frunk may be a lot more of an issue to you than it is to me. Even at the $98,400 CAD that I paid for mine once all the taxes and FSD were added on, I still would have taken it with that issue.

I’m paying 2600$ extra for the red multi coat, this shouldn’t happen. There were multiple cars nearby that didn’t have this issue, if the rest of you can live with this, then be it. It’s a lot of money for a new car, I don’t want this imperfection on mine in not 1 but 2 spots. Looks worst in person as well. I’ll get another car matched to me
Good on you man. It's your money, you shouldn't have to settle. They need to do better with quality control.

Not like you're buying a used car here. It's a lot of money and you should be happy with the quality. Hope you get your next VIN sooner than later.

Good on you man. It's your money, you shouldn't have to settle. They need to do better with quality control.

Not like you're buying a used car here. It's a lot of money and you should be happy with the quality. Hope you get your next VIN sooner than later.
Clearly everyone has their own perspective on the importance of various issues that may appear on a Tesla. I agree that Tesla could (and probably should) put more focus on quality control. However my priority for quality control would be issues that relate to reliability or potential service calls. Those are things that would be very difficult to evaluate during a pre-delivery inspection (but that could leave someone stranded on the side of the road). For myself the most important issue for any car is getting me safely from A to B; cosmetic issues are a much lower priority.

Funnily enough, I just checked inside my frunk and it appears I have a similar issue in one of the cut outs. It's not as noticeable in the white paint, but it's there.

Here's what I'm going to do about it: Nothing. This car will have various chips, scuffs and whatnot over it's lifespan in my family with 3 kids running around. A small paint imperfection on part of the car that nobody is ever really going to see doesn't bother me.

Yep fair enough. I just had to go check mine and can confirm all good here. I’m just suffering from slight passenger door and trunk misalign, neither of which seem to be causing any issues, other than that all seems good. Only gripe I have at the moment is I’m missing the cap for one of the hooks on the shelf behind the rear seats, so bizarre as the other two are there.

I highly doubt any car will be acceptable to you. Maybe a new car is not for you.

Wow. I’m usually not a Tesla apologist, but this is getting ridiculous.

I’ve never seen this with any other group. What is it with Teslas that folks feel this sort of fine-toothed-comb inspection is warranted?

Hell, I just looked under the foam padding under my wife’s Yukon (that costs $10,000 more than my LR AWD) and it isn’t even painted (primer).

Ive never looked under the hood of mine, but even if it had a painted over outline of Elon’s face in Fremont dirt, I still would have taken delivery.

I highly doubt any car will be acceptable to you. Maybe a new car is not for you.
If you don’t like my opinion, don’t read it, easy as that.

I’m not paying 2600$ for a paint job to have defects when the car next to it doesn’t have these defects. If it was white I probably would have taken it since it’s the free color but not when I’m paying extra