Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forcibly going to PARK when I take weight off the driver's seat.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious. When I back out of my garage, I often shift my weight around to get a better look out the sides and back, and maybe 20-25% of the time the car will put itself into PARK automatically and stop the car. But it doesn't seem to do it (thankfully) if I shift my weight around going 75 mph on the freeway, and so far it hasn't even happened if I parallel park or shift my weight around in while stopped at a red light or basically any other time that I've noticed.

Just wondering if anybody knows under what circumstances the Model S will decide that it needs to stop the car out of safety.

If you adjust your mirrors and use the rear camera you shouldn't need to shift around in your seat. I don't know at what speed it doesn't do this but they made this as a safety feature in case you step out of the car forgetting it is in gear.

I'm pretty sure the seatbelt is not the key (or maybe my car has a malfunction). I always 100% wear my seatbelt, and I put it on before the car has even woken up from sleep mode, so it's definitely on by the time I'm backing out.

If you adjust your mirrors and use the rear camera you shouldn't need to shift around in your seat.

They are set correctly for all other circumstances. But my garage door is very narrow (probably have 4 or less inches clearance on either side) and the sidewalk is quite close to the garage. So I don't have a view out the side mirrors until I've almost completely exited the garage door (the mirrors need to clear the exit), and the view out the rear camera isn't quite wide enough (it's really wide, but I only get a clear view around low bushes after I've backed up fairly far). Long story short: I'm not going to run anybody over if I don't shift around, but I feel better about not scaring the crap out of people on the sidewalk if I peek out the side rear windows as I slowly back out.

My car gives me a warning about the time it goes into Park. Do you get the warning when you're just shifting around in your seat?

I actually have not noticed any sound when it goes into park. I could just not have noticed it; not sure.

...they made this as a safety feature in case you step out of the car forgetting it is in gear.

Yes, I'm not complaining - I've had it save me at least once - when I was new to the car, the lack of engine idle screwed up my subconscious "I turned off the car already which means I probably already put it i park" logic. I'm just wondering exactly what the internal logic of the car is so that I can be more careful in some circumstances if necessary or less paranoid if it's not necessary. e.g. sometimes I take a sweatshirt off inside the car, but I'm kind of sitting on it, so it requires a little butt lift. I'm a little paranoid about doing it super quick because I don't want the car to slam on the brakes. Logically, I know that it probably won't do this, but without concrete knowledge it's hard to gamble on it not happening at 60 mph.

I get this frequently when trying to pull into my garage. I still suck at judging how close left-to-right I am so I either open the door to look or roll the window down and stick my head out. The car will go a few inches and then give the triple-beep and whatever the warning message is (can't drive with the door open or something). Seatbelt is off.

I think it's a good safety feature, but not helping me pull into my garage :)

-m

Yeah, I don't think the seatbelt matters either. First time it happened to me I was in a parking garage moving from one spot to another so I did not bother putting on belt and thought that was a factor. More recently I noticed if I shift enough it happens whether or not I have the belt on.

I tested this in the driveway a few months ago. It was consistent. Without the seatbelt on, I got the car to a few MPH then lifted off the seat. It engaged Park from forward or reverse. With the seatbelt on it did not. This was a couple of minor SW releases ago, but I do still lift off the seat in reverse often and have not had a problem.

I also wonder if you have a switch problem. Odd if your car doesn't chime every time you drive though.