Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forcing an alternate route?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is it possible on the navigate route to block a section of the path and force the navagation to select an alternate route?

The only practical way I can do this is to leave the route path and the the gps will “recalculate”. But I want to do it in advance of actually driving thecalternative path.

Is there a way to do that on the Tesla GPS route path?

No.

The only hack/workaround is to set a destination other than your real destination which gives your preferred routing. That doesn’t work well if you want a side road that runs parallel to a main road, but it’s all you can do with the current nav system.

It would be nice if you could drag waypoints/alternate routes like you can with google Maps. I was doing a long trip this weekend and on my return home had 3 different options of route. The shortest (by 7 miles and 1 minute, according to Google) would get me home with ~5% charge remaining according to the in-car nav. The 7-mile longer route would take me past a supercharger.

Being a somewhat colder day, I wanted the route past the charger just in case, but actually selecting that as a route was the only way to get the car to start me in that direction.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I would also agree with comments, but what would be the result of using ‘abetterrouteplanner.com’ on an iPad creating waypoints then sending it to the car?
Haven’t had delivery of my M3 yet, so can’t try it.

I would also agree with comments, but what would be the result of using ‘abetterrouteplanner.com’ on an iPad creating waypoints then sending it to the car?
Not aware of a way to send it to car though someone may pipe up with a solution. There’s not a CarPlay type feature and the car’s browser isn’t really good enough for it directly.

Not aware of a way to send it to car though someone may pipe up with a solution. There’s not a CarPlay type feature and the car’s browser isn’t really good enough for it directly.
The iOS Tesla app ties into the iOS sharing system. You can send location data from any app to the car's navigation and it will plot a course to there. I use it all the time to send to the car someplace I've looked up on Google Maps on my phone. I haven't tried it with the car in motion, however.

Tesla nav doesn't do waypoints. You tell it where to go, and it plots its own course. If you want to do waypoints, you have to manually enter each one as a destination, then enter the next one once you arrive there. Yep, lame.
PS: It will go from one supercharger to the next on longer trips, but that's one only concept of waypoints that currently exists.

The iOS Tesla app ties into the iOS sharing system. You can send location data from any app to the car's navigation and it will plot a course to there. I use it all the time to send to the car someplace I've looked up on Google Maps on my phone. I haven't tried it with the car in motion, however.
Yes, I’ve done that. I’d interpreted OPs post that he wants to use a navigation system other than Teslas.