Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forcing update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my MYLR for several days, but it has never offered a software update, despite the fact that the version I have is out of date. I am surprised that the delivery team does not update the software before delivery. When I get a new computer or phone, one of the first things I do is update the BIOS and operating system. I want to do the same with my "computer on wheels."

The car is fully charged and plugged in. What do I need to do to update it? Can I do it through the app overnight?

I have had my MYLR for several days, but it has never offered a software update, despite the fact that the version I have is out of date. I am surprised that the delivery team does not update the software before delivery. When I get a new computer or phone, one of the first things I do is update the BIOS and operating system. I want to do the same with my "computer on wheels."

The car is fully charged and plugged in. What do I need to do to update it? Can I do it through the app overnight?
It will take a while for that first update to filter down to your car, but it will get there. Its just frustrating waiting for that first one to arrive.
If it helps, take the computer analogy and extend it. Your car isn't one computer, its a surprisingly large network of devices that all need to connect correctly in order to keep working. The software update is responsible for every one of those devices.
To make it more entertaining - from a software perspective there isn't really a standard car, especially this year with all the component shortages. Tesla worked around this by sourcing different components from different suppliers, each one with different software requirements.
The different software update versions take all of those differences into account as they work to bring it together.
I don't remember seeing as many different versions out at once in a long time - there are almost 30 versions just in the last two months! Each one will support some new device or add a new feature that may or may not apply to your car.

Thankfully its starting to look like they are pulling the threads together and getting close to a consistent version.

Short version - they will get you updated in the end, but there isn't much you can do to speed it up :D

I have had my MYLR with FSD for exactly four weeks today. In the online user manual it shows version 2021.32 but my current version for the car is still at 2021.11.103. There is no way to force an update according to support when I can actually get hold of them. I cannot get a driving score on my current release. This entire software rollout issue seems to be broken. Some get their updates after a few days and others after a few months. I was told by tech support that updates are only once or twice per year. I do not believe that. I have seen that over 90% of MYs are on 2021.28 or higher. I have no idea why I am not getting updates even though my user manual no longer reflects the current version of my firmware.

I have had my MYLR with FSD for exactly four weeks today. In the online user manual it shows version 2021.32 but my current version for the car is still at 2021.11.103. There is no way to force an update according to support when I can actually get hold of them. I cannot get a driving score on my current release. This entire software rollout issue seems to be broken. Some get their updates after a few days and others after a few months. I was told by tech support that updates are only once or twice per year. I do not believe that. I have seen that over 90% of MYs are on 2021.28 or higher. I have no idea why I am not getting updates even though my user manual no longer reflects the current version of my firmware.
Well, the process isn't broken, they just have some algorithm they use to determine the rollout order. I have no idea what it is, and I doubt anyone does... You might switch your update preference to 'Advanced'. You might also ensure that you have a good Wifi signal. Maybe delete the Wifi network you're on and rejoin it. Not much else you can do.

And yes, whomever told you there are only one or two a year has no clue. I've had (I think) 5 since I got the car in March, including 2 in one week. Also keep in mind that they have 2 sets of cars now - most with radar and some (since May) without. I suspect they now have 2 'trees' (at least) for the MY, and that's further complicated by some that have FSD and some that don't. The SC can force an update to you (the tech at my last mobile service did that). But of course you can only get hold of them through the app.

You would save a lot of time and energy by searching the forum. There is a ton of information on this subject.

Your vehicle is new and will be on factory version software for anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months. There is nothing wrong with your car or the process. Your car will update when it is supposed to. No way to force it.

I have had my MYLR with FSD for exactly four weeks today. In the online user manual it shows version 2021.32 but my current version for the car is still at 2021.11.103. There is no way to force an update according to support when I can actually get hold of them. I cannot get a driving score on my current release. This entire software rollout issue seems to be broken. Some get their updates after a few days and others after a few months. I was told by tech support that updates are only once or twice per year. I do not believe that. I have seen that over 90% of MYs are on 2021.28 or higher. I have no idea why I am not getting updates even though my user manual no longer reflects the current version of my firmware
You would save a lot of time and energy by searching the forum. There is a ton of information on this subject.

Your vehicle is new and will be on factory version software for anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months. There is nothing wrong with your car or the process. Your car will update when it is supposed to. No way to force it.
The only problem I have with your comment is that cars newer than mine seem to have more recent firmware. According to the app that reports firmware versions only about 3% of Model Ys are on 2021.11.103. Many including people who have cars as new as a couple of weeks are on at least. 2021.28 and some are on 2021.32. My user manual in the app is on 2021.32 and it shows features and tops that are not relevant to my car. Eg. car wash mode or driver score.

Well, the process isn't broken, they just have some algorithm they use to determine the rollout order. I have no idea what it is, and I doubt anyone does... You might switch your update preference to 'Advanced'. You might also ensure that you have a good Wifi signal. Maybe delete the Wifi network you're on and rejoin it. Not much else you can do.

And yes, whomever told you there are only one or two a year has no clue. I've had (I think) 5 since I got the car in March, including 2 in one week. Also keep in mind that they have 2 sets of cars now - most with radar and some (since May) without. I suspect they now have 2 'trees' (at least) for the MY, and that's further complicated by some that have FSD and some that don't. The SC can force an update to you (the tech at my last mobile service did that). But of course you can only get hold of them through the app.
I

I have a tech coming out next week to install the garage door opener. I will ask him about the update. Thanks

I have had my MYLR with FSD for exactly four weeks today. In the online user manual it shows version 2021.32 but my current version for the car is still at 2021.11.103. There is no way to force an update according to support when I can actually get hold of them. I cannot get a driving score on my current release. This entire software rollout issue seems to be broken. Some get their updates after a few days and others after a few months. I was told by tech support that updates are only once or twice per year. I do not believe that. I have seen that over 90% of MYs are on 2021.28 or higher. I have no idea why I am not getting updates even though my user manual no longer reflects the current version of my firmware

The only problem I have with your comment is that cars newer than mine seem to have more recent firmware. According to the app that reports firmware versions only about 3% of Model Ys are on 2021.11.103. Many including people who have cars as new as a couple of weeks are on at least. 2021.28 and some are on 2021.32. My user manual in the app is on 2021.32 and it shows features and tops that are not relevant to my car. Eg. car wash mode or driver score.

As there is no "official" app that "reports firmware updates", every single one of those apps is reporting on their particular membership / subscribers. You can use it as a representation, you can not use it as "fact".

Even with all that, there is nothing you can do beside wait till its pushed to your car. You can choose to wait patiently, or you can choose to wait frustrated, but in all cases you will be waiting until they make it available to your car.

Since most software discussion happens in the software subforum, there is a thread that covers this there, but the information is pretty much the same. The only difference is, you can read pages and pages of other people with vision only cars also waiting, so perhaps that might make you feel like you are not alone.

With the above being said, there are software updates roughly every 30 days or so, so whoever told you "one or two a year" was just trying to get you to leave them alone, because there was nothing they could do to force it to you.

As I said, there is plenty of information available and it will all tell you the same - you just have to wait. I waited for around two months before my first update. Eventually your update will happen and then you will get more regular updates like everyone else. I get that you want a different answer and I’m sure you can find someone who will give you one, but if you want to know what’s actually happening it’s as I said… your car is new and you have to wait.

I'm at 6 weeks from delivery and still on factory software. Driving me crazy as well.

Same thing. Six weeks post delivery; still stuck on 2021.11.103. Makes me mad that I paid for FSD and can't even apply for the Beta.

Reactions: Cyb_ and danielshue
Same thing. Six weeks post delivery; still stuck on 2021.11.103. Makes me mad that I paid for FSD and can't even apply for the Beta.
Lol, your car is six weeks old and your mad that you can’t apply the beta? Try having a Model 3 from 2018 with fully purchased FSD over 3 years ago and still not getting the beta despite having a perfect score. There are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of people with older cars that still do not have access! Welcome to the Tesla family. One thing these cars and this brand has helped me do is develop a lot more patience. You may not be getting the beta for another couple months! Try to be patient - there are folks who paid for FSD 3 years ago and have been waiting patiently. 6 weeks vs 150 weeks..

Just enjoy your new(ish) car! Enjoy autopilot, enjoy the quite smooth ride, enjoy the awesome sound system, enjoy never having to go to a gas station to fuel up. Just. Enjoy. Your. Car.
FSD beta and additional software updates will make its way to you (and everyone else) in time.

Reactions: cgell
Lol, your car is six weeks old and your mad that you can’t apply the beta? Try having a Model 3 from 2018 with fully purchased FSD over 3 years ago and still not getting the beta despite having a perfect score. There are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of people with older cars that still do not have access! Welcome to the Tesla family. One thing these cars and this brand has helped me do is develop a lot more patience. You may not be getting the beta for another couple months! Try to be patient - there are folks who paid for FSD 3 years ago and have been waiting patiently. 6 weeks vs 150 weeks..

Just enjoy your new(ish) car! Enjoy autopilot, enjoy the quite smooth ride, enjoy the awesome sound system, enjoy never having to go to a gas station to fuel up. Just. Enjoy. Your. Car.
FSD beta and additional software updates will make its way to you (and everyone else) in time.
You're not wrong, however, I failed to mention this isn't my first Tesla. I actually miss my last one. This one was seemingly built by assembly workers who are blind and lack hands. Fit and finish has a lot to be desired. Nine days in the service center (and still counting). The software is just icing on the cake.

Reactions: Deutsch100
You're not wrong, however, I failed to mention this isn't my first Tesla. I actually miss my last one. This one was seemingly built by assembly workers who are blind and lack hands. Fit and finish has a lot to be desired. Nine days in the service center (and still counting). The software is just icing on the cake.
Very true. The ONLY thing preventing Tesla from taking over the world right now is their lack of proper fit and finish. It’s interesting to me that the legacy automakers haven’t pounced on this fact. Sandy Munro even mentioned that the Hyundai Ionic they are testing is built better than a Model S. To me it seems like this is the perfect amount of wiggle room to help legacy automakers keep some control (not that I want them to, I’m not a fan of Ford, GM, or any of the Asian brands) yet they haven’t mentioned it.

When Tesla starts putting out cars built as well (or better) as some of the stuff Audi or MBZ is making then it’s completely game over.

However, in some cases (very rarely) a Tesla is delivered with perfect fit and finish. My brother got his MY last month it is literally perfect. Even the paint appears to be of better quality. It’s interesting. Maybe we are on the cusp of something better (finally). One thing is for sure, Tesla is not going anywhere. We are still in the “early phase” of Tesla’s legacy and I for one am very excited to see what happens over the next 10 years with the EV market and Tesla’s future. I’m an investor and very proud of the progress Tesla has made. By far the best thing in my portfolio. I do believe that once Berlin and Austin start really going that there will be no looking back - Tesla will appear to basically be taking over the automotive world. I wouldn’t be surprised if in 20 years the legacy automakers start licensing some of Tesla’s technology just to stay afloat.

Last edited: