Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford 6.0 Liter Diesel F-series Super Duty warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Detroit Free Press Oct 13 or 14 (?) Febbi Wall Howard (sic) author
2003 => 2007; F-series Super Duty

IF you have the link to above newspaper article, I'm sure others would appreciate. (quick look I didn't find)
Internet search will find many articles.
15 min. clip

Another reason we should electrify?
Makes Tesla customer service or warranty look stellar.

[NaviStar the supplier ??]

sorry for poor posting - decade old and I'm not a Diesel Truck guy, but thought interesting.
reminds me why many don't like legacy auto makers much

I used to own a 2006 F350 6.0. It was a good truck after all the issues were fixed.

Basically these diesel trucks went from no emissions to moderate controls in a short period of time, and Ford didn’t invest into the design because Ford used navistar to build their old 7.3 from the 80’s up to 2003, and Ford asked navistar if they had an engine that could meet the new requirements. They pulled a VT365 out of a European bread truck rated at 200ish HP. Well that wasn’t going to beat the other manufacturers trucks so they bumped it up to 325HP. That combined with the high sulfur diesel sold here at the time and the lack of education with the service technicians led to a perfect storm of problems.

This guy explains it but he’s difficult to listen to.

https://youtu.be/jJL9EVbVwck

Basically these diesel trucks went from no emissions to moderate controls in a short period of time, and Ford didn’t invest into the design because Ford used navistar to build their old 7.3 from the 80’s up to 2003, and Ford asked navistar if they had an engine that could meet the new requirements. They pulled a VT365 out of a European bread truck rated at 200ish HP. Well that wasn’t going to beat the other manufacturers trucks so they bumped it up to 325HP. That combined with the high sulfur diesel sold here at the time and the lack of education with the service technicians led to a perfect storm of problems. ...
WOW - Small wonder both Ford and GM market shares dropping for decades. Not sure which management group worse.
...GM had 53% 1960s to 16.9% of the U.S. market in 2019.
Ford Motor Company's market share has likewise fallen but relatively less, from a high of 29.3 percent in 1961 to 14.6 percent in 2016.

I notice at current "cash burn rate" Ford has < 3 years before they have no cash on their balance sheet.

As I have said before, I think all the MBAs in the auto industry are planning on another auto bail-out from our Federal Government.

I can't believe truck buyers keep buying these things. Make Tesla Service look gold plated.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
  • Informative
Reactions: Brando
Ford Motor Co convicted of Fraud
Court: Ford Knew Power Stroke V8 Was Defective and sold it anyway
Engine used in 2003-2007 Ford Super Duty and 2003-2010 Ford E-Series.
by Edward Snitkoff
October 13, 2020
6.0L Power Stroke V8 Leads To Fraud Ruling Against Ford

Emails discovered showed Ford management grappling with massive warranty repair costs going back to 2006. John Koszewnik, who was the director of Ford’s North American diesel division revealed in emails that 6.0-liter diesel warranty repairs were costing Ford “as high as $5 million a month.”

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Brando
I own a 2005 F250 with the 6.0 diesel engine. Purchased from original owner in 2016 with 110,000 miles on it. He kept a log with all oil changes and repairs since new. Only major repair he did was new turbo at 104,000.

Truck now has 154,000 miles. I've done quite a bit of work including "bulletproofing" which fixes all of the weak points, cost me $8,000. Truck runs great and should last the rest of my life. Repairs were way cheaper than purchasing newer truck.

Only use it to pull our 12,000 pound fifth wheel.

Considered getting Model X and new travel trailer, but range anxiety and downgrading from 33 foot fifth wheel to 21 foot travel trailer helped us make decision to keep what we have.

I had an 08 F350 with the 6.4. Never had an issue. Traded it in for a 16 F150. No problems with this one either.

They make hundreds of thousands of trucks a year. Bound to be some clunkers !!

I'm not a fanboy and I'm not a basher....... but the 6.0 was bad!!

Steve just did video with a class action suit against GM for defective wheels on C7 Corvettes. The Judge dismissed the lawsuit when GM lawyers stated the warranty covered defects in materials and workmanship but not design flaws.