Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford C-Max Energi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
Ford C-Max Energi Plug-in Hybrid Is Certified at 620 Miles of Range - NYTimes.com

On Tuesday, Ford fired another volley in its sustained campaign to vanquish the Toyota Prius. The automaker’s C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid was certified by the Environmental Protection Agency at a range of 620 miles.

The Energi improved on the ratings of the plug-in hybrid competition; the Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid is certified by the E.P.A. at 540 miles of total range, and the Chevrolet Volt at 380 miles.

“Congratulations to Ford,” John Hanson, a Toyota spokesman, wrote in an e-mail, a rare hat tip from rival to rival. John Davis, chief engineer for the C-Max, confirmed in a telephone interview that the 620-mile range figure would appear on the Energi’s window sticker. The car will arrive at dealerships next month.

Ps: There was a thread about the concept earlier: Ford C-Max Energi concept

• Informative
Reactions: SpoolUp
That's what I'm hoping for the Model X.

The C-Max almost looks like a miniature Model X. Full test report: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-c-max-energi-plug-in-hybrid-test-review

I saw somewhere that for the month of January, Ford sold more than 2x the number of C-Max as GM sold Volts. I don't know what the breakdown is between the plug-in and hybrid-only models though. In the long run, I don't think the Volt can compete against the C-Max. The Ford is just vastly superior from an internal usability standpoint.

The C-Max almost looks like a miniature Model X. Full test report: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-c-max-energi-plug-in-hybrid-test-review

I saw somewhere that for the month of January, Ford sold more than 2x the number of C-Max as GM sold Volts. I don't know what the breakdown is between the plug-in and hybrid-only models though. In the long run, I don't think the Volt can compete against the C-Max. The Ford is just vastly superior from an internal usability standpoint.

Ford only sold some 330 Energis. Feb numbers will come out tomorrow.

My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Worldwide Plugin Sales Numbers

I actually saw my first C-Max Energi on the road yesterday. My wife was riding with me (in my Volt) and made the comment "Why would anyone buy that over a Volt?" when I pointed it out. The only response I could come up with was that they must have been desperate for a 5th seat.

The Cmax Energi is cheaper and is less complicated in trim/options. When trying to buy a Volt my local Chevy dealer was hopeless and couldn't match the pricing I was getting from Ford and unwilling to even try.

This is definitely a recurring theme with Chevy dealers. Some will bend over backwards to sell a Volt, and others will do everything in their power to make sure the Volt stays on the lot. I am glad to hear that Ford seems to be actually trying to sell these, as more plug in's is good for everyone.

What kind of real world EV range are people getting from the Engergi? Is it able to cruise on the highway in EV mode?

Checking out a local Ford Dealer's inventory for the C-Max Energi. It is almost as if they don't want you to know it has a Lithium Ion battery.
Not even mentioned until you drill down into the detail specs. Really not a surprise as an ICE focused dealership. At least it is good to see the local dealership finally selling EV's.

C-Max Energi.JPG

Well, since Tesla isn't putting up the lease program in Canada, I still needed a car to do my things, so I went with the Energi.

Ford actually don't want you do drive this car. Waiting time is 3-4 MONTHS before receiving yours, there is no stock anywhere to be found.

Pretty sure they are selling at a loss, or simply want to prove EV don't work... I don't know.

But sell numbers are really their maximum throughput they are willing to build, not actual demand. Who would wait 4 months for a car, unless that was a game changing car like a Tesla ?

Ford got a $5.9 billion loan from the US government for advanced technology vehicle development, so they probably felt they had to bring out some vehicles. The funding helped float the company during the recession. They might not even care whether they sell.

Here's a wonderfully misleading video I stumbled across:

It claims that only Ford is building their own batteries in-house, that Tesla gets theirs from Panasonic. Well duh, Ford is building the pack. So is Tesla. The cell supplier is a different issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of real world EV range are people getting from the Engergi? Is it able to cruise on the highway in EV mode?

I have a 2013 Ford Fusion Energi. It is rated at 21 miles on a full charge. Real world, I can get in the high 20s to low 30s in perfect conditions. Winter cold maybe 15 miles. Pre-warming helps a lot. And it will cruise at 85 mph on all EV.
I know it does not compare to the Tesla, but I do like the car. I am getting a lifetime mpg of 120 mpg. When conditions are right, I can get over 700 miles on a full charge and full tank. What I don't like is taking 2+ hours to charge for just over 20 miles and the batteries take up most of the trunk space. What I do like is the very stylish look (you can see photos at https://plus.google.com/photos/115104764644546017848/albums/5865610223627491713) and I love all of the high tech; rain sensor wipers, auto high beam, active cruise control, rear cam w sensors with lines showing where the wheel is turned to, self parallel parking, lane keep, blind spot warning and lots more. .... I would still trade it for a Tesla S or X!

Nice, TaylorJD. I test drove a Fusion Energi, and I really liked the styling, interior, steering feel, etc. The only things I didn't like were what you mentioned - the low range, the engine kicking on and wailing when I hit the accelerator, and the Roadster-sized trunk. It did drive noticeably nicer than the C-Max Energi.

I've heard from friends in ZEV states that Ford advertises their plug-ins a lot there. I am in a non-ZEV state, and I got a mailing from Ford a few days ago. (It did not have any dealer info on it, so I assume it was either from corporate, or a regional marking arm). It was a nice piece, custom size, printed on heavy stock, with see-through cutouts and multiple folds. All encased in a protective plastic cover. Much better than most solicitations; something you were really supposed to notice.

I don’t remember the exact title, but it was something along the lines of “What cars give you the best mpg?” You lift up the top sheet and see...a Fusion Hybrid. Open it further, and you see Focus, C-Max, and Fiesta. The ICE and hybrid versions were prominently noted, with mpg ratings discussed. The C-Max Hybrid section briefly mentioned that the Energi model exists. No mention of the Fusion Energi, despite title billing to the Fusion Hybrid. No mention of the Focus Electric, even though they were bragging about how little gas the ICE Focus uses. Wow. Just like a compliance car! I have to keep telling myself at least Ford is making more than one model, and at least they make them technically available everywhere, if you happen to know they exist...

The C-max Energi looks interesting until you look at the initial reliability figures.
You referring to the horrific Consumer Reports reliability rating, so far?

Regardless, it is unfortunate. Always good to have more choices that one can recommend... but for me, seeing how bad they were, there's no way I could in good faith recommend it. I'd be steering people towards the Volt :eek: (coming from someone who isn't a fan of GM) or a PiP.

Spotted my first C-Max Energi in the wild. Actually I noticed it while parking beside it; I only realized it was a plug-in because I spotted the green plate. Moments after taking this picture the owner showed up, and we had a nice chat. He got it a few months ago and gets about 25 km electric drive in winter conditions. He expects to see more like 40 km in the summer. Likes the car, says it's really comfortable.

IMG_2690.JPG