Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Charging Network Announced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fairly misleading title though. It implies the network is the same as Tesla's, which simply will not be the case. They don't disclose the ratio of level II and level III chargers.

Ford announces launch of largest electric vehicle charging network in the US - CNN

Either way, this will rattle things some for Tesla as it becomes a reality. Over time, especially if Musk gets more cash strapped, I could see him opening up his network to other cars to help fund his empire.

It also seems silly to me to have proprietary charging in the long run.

"Ford also announced it is working with Amazon (AMZN) Home Services to install at-home chargers for customers who buy a Ford electric vehicle. Most electric car owners charge their cars at home or at work the vast majority of the time. "

FYI I had a quote from Amazon for a level 2 charger installation that was $1,000 higher than I paid by using a local licensed electrician that had previously done good work in my condo.

It sounds to me like this isn't an announcement of new charging equipment; it's just a simplified way to pay for charging at existing Electrify America and Greenlots stations:

article said:
Ford didn't build this charging network on its own. Working with EV charging companies Greenlots and Electrify America, Ford has created what it calls the FordPass Charging Network. When needed, users will be directed to one of the network's chargers using an app or in the vehicle's central touch screen.
Unlike Tesla's chargers, which are all run and operated by Tesla, the chargers in the FordPass network will be operated by different companies.
Ford (F) electric vehicle owners will be able to pay for charging through the app without having to subscribe separately to individual charging networks. Greenlots, a subsidiary of Shell, operates the software behind the app.

Of course, it's possible that Ford is kicking in some money to help fund new stations, but if so, I don't see mention of that in the article. Absent such a development, this is just an accounting convenience -- owners can sign up for one payment card instead of two. The in-dash GPS may also direct drivers to these stations, but lots of vehicles do this already.

Let me see if I understand this. Ford makes deals with Greenlots and EA which allows the future Ford BEV to use their networks with a membership card issued by Shell and CNN reports that "it [Ford] will offer the largest North American network of electric vehicle chargers of any automaker — including Tesla." But Ford didn't do anything except ink a couple of deals. By the same reasoning Greenlots and EA's network is part of the Telsa network because Tesla's can use it (albeit not with a Tesla account). This is, I suppose, typical of American main stream journalism.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Fairly misleading title though. It implies the network is the same as Tesla's, which simply will not be the case. They don't disclose the ratio of level II and level III chargers.

Ford announces launch of largest electric vehicle charging network in the US - CNN

Either way, this will rattle things some for Tesla as it becomes a reality. Over time, especially if Musk gets more cash strapped, I could see him opening up his network to other cars to help fund his empire.

It also seems silly to me to have proprietary charging in the long run.
Yes it is silly. You should open your home to all people to share. You paid for it and it’s maintenance. So what it’s silly not to share it to anyone who wants to use it

Yes it is silly. You should open your home to all people to share. You paid for it and it’s maintenance. So what it’s silly not to share it to anyone who wants to use it

Tesla has stated in the past any company can use their superchargers. Tesla just isn't going to customize its electric network in any way for other manufacturers. I also imagine any other company using the superchargers would have to share in the cost and building out of the network in some way. Otherwise, it would be silly to open the network because the number of Tesla using superchargers is I believe growing faster than the network.

Tesla has stated in the past any company can use their superchargers. Tesla just isn't going to customize its electric network in any way for other manufacturers. I also imagine any other company using the superchargers would have to share in the cost and building out of the network in some way. Otherwise, it would be silly to open the network because the number of Tesla using superchargers is I believe growing faster than the network.
Not fair should have labeled my post sarcasm. Not everyone on forum is a native English speaker

Haha Greenlots. Around here these stations are so poorly maintained it's sad. If this is the "infrastructure" Ford is investing in, they'd better fix what's already broken. This station (in Western NC) has been broken for 4 MONTHS!

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 6.33.53 PM.png