Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Decides to Double Production Plan for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ford announced this week a plan to double its electric vehicle production.

The company originally planned to build 300,000 units by 2023, but has ramped that number up to 600,000. Additionally, the company has secured a semiconductor contract with GlobalFoundries to support the manufacturing plan.

Chief Executive Jim Farley tweeted his excitement for the plan, which is to become the second-largest EV producer in the world “within the next couple years.” Farley expects the Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning, and E-Transit van to lead the company’s sales of EVs. He also hinted that the company has plans for additional electric models.

While doubling production to 600,000 EVs is a strong commitment it represents just 10% of Ford’s current production. The company has said it hopes for EVs to make up 40% of sales by 2030.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: drift
What exactly did Tesla figure out to make profit? I am curious to know.
To my memory, Tesla decided to add 25% to everything they made, for profit. As they were about the only game in town, they were able to finance everything they did and sell it at a profit to them, rather than trying to lowball everyone. That and their products were superior to any at the time.

Unless one is a devout fan of diesel-powered vehicles, or gas guzzlers, Tesla makes a competitive vehicle. Just because it doesn't look like a Lincoln Town Car doesn't make it bad, and people figured that out. Then they put their money where their mouth is and bought them by the millions. That's how one makes profits. Ford may HAVE to cut prices to the bone, because they are unable to compete, because they started late in the game and can't catch up.

Remember Studebaker? Plymouth? Oldsmobile? Some of them were over 100 year old companies.

Except for Studebaker, the other two are terrible examples considering GM and DaimlerChrysler are still around.

In reality, it’s most likely that Tesla will no longer be in the automobile business in about a decade once everyone starts to catch up and surpasses them.

Teslas bread and butter will be National Defense. Those contracts are coming especially for space. Ford and GM will keep moving along and your stocks will stay safe with Tesla, don’t worry.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
Except for Studebaker, the other two are terrible examples considering GM and DaimlerChrysler are still around.

In reality, it’s most likely that Tesla will no longer be in the automobile business in about a decade once everyone starts to catch up and surpasses them.

Teslas bread and butter will be National Defense. Those contracts are coming especially for space. Ford and GM will keep moving along and your stocks will stay safe with Tesla, don’t worry.

Happy Thanksgiving!
I have no stocks, I am relatively poor for that gamble. Every year we hear that others will catch up and Tesla will be out of business. Now it seems that Tesla itself is surprised by the magnitude of fail of all the predictions. Yeh, and happy Thanksgiving to you too!

27silverman-articleLarge.jpg

Reactions: WhiteWi
I have no stocks, I am relatively poor for that gamble. Every year we hear that others will catch up and Tesla will be out of business. Now it seems that Tesla itself is surprised by the magnitude of fail of all the predictions. Yeh, and happy Thanksgiving to you too!

27silverman-articleLarge.jpg

I never said Tesla will be out of business. They are here to stay. Re-read my post.

It looks like Toyota is going to continue to cover all their bases and offer ICE, Hybrids, Plug-in Hybrid and now finally showing BEV for next year. The M3/Y are great EVs but mainly because there is no real competition yet. If companies like Toyota and Honda start offering truly affordable EVs with great build quality and reliability then I think EV market dynamics for Tesla change quite dramatically. Toyota sells 10M cars a year vs. Tesla 700k.

It looks like Toyota is going to continue to cover all their bases and offer ICE, Hybrids, Plug-in Hybrid and now finally showing BEV for next year. The M3/Y are great EVs but mainly because there is no real competition yet. If companies like Toyota and Honda start offering truly affordable EVs with great build quality and reliability then I think EV market dynamics for Tesla change quite dramatically. Toyota sells 10M cars a year vs. Tesla 700k.

1) Where I live, Toyota does not sell RAV4 Prime. And I don't care how many Corollas and Priuses they make using technologies straight from 90th.
2) Toyota's affordable price model ...
1638331063339.png

1) Where I live, Toyota does not sell RAV4 Prime. And I don't care how many Corollas and Priuses they make using technologies straight from 90th.
2) Toyota's affordable price model ...
View attachment 739267
Lol, that is some dealer markup. It will be interesting to see if the traditional automakers start selling direct at some point to avoid the ADM garbage.

Last edited: