Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford EVs by 2012

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only a daily basis, it might work, but the number of times it'd be insufficient would be pretty large. I couldn't go to the airport and back. I couldn't go from Portland, OR to Vancouver, WA (just across the river) and back. Lots of destinations would really push 60 miles in a day. Compare that to 100-120 mile range that could handle all of those.

I suppose the east coast is more densely packed so distances are shorter, but outside of the east cost, particularly the north east, I'd think 60 miles is going to be insufficient on a pretty common basis.

I wouldn't really compare it to the Leaf (pure EV vs a conversion).
If you really look at the Focus EV, it looks like a conversion (probably made it just to meet CAFE standards).
The ground up approach is to put the batteries as part of the frame (Tesla Model S/X, BMW i series, Leaf, Mitsubishi).
From the articles concerning the car, they put the batteries in the trunk space and the motors in the engine compartment (I would think it would cost less since they did a conversion and didn't need all the R&D verses a ground up car, but it's more).

I think the usefulness of it for the cost is questionable (5 K more than a Leaf and the BMW i3 and are essentially getting the same thing). I think it will be a tough sell after the hardcore Ford fans. I think they really fumbled on this one

Bit of history - Panasonic also provided NiMH batteries for the old Ford Ranger EV back around year 2000.
There was a tight Toyota/Panasonic relationship then, but it didn't stop Panasonic from selling "RAV4EV batteries" to Ford for use in the RangerEV.

http://www.evnut.com/docs/rav_docs/battery_ev95_front.jpg
rav_battery_ev95.jpg

Kind of odd, having two different battery suppliers who are major companies
You would think they would have stuck with one or the other in order to get better bulk purchasing contracts.

I don't know. I work in manufacturing and there are plants that standardize on a single vendor, basically get to 100% of this vendors devices. And then start to get laid over the table on service and price. But they put up with it because it would be so hard to switch valve manufacturers.

You would think they would have stuck with one or the other in order to get better bulk purchasing contracts.

Like I said up thread, it looks like Ford is just sticking with their long time supplier, Sanyo, which was acquired by Panasonic. See the article linked by dpeilow.

GSP

This battery deal might not be a good example, but, from what I have seen, "second source" is really common in the auto business on certain "generic" components. When I looked at new cars, I frequently found that you can't specify a specific make/model/brand of tire because the cars on the lot may come with one of 2 or 3 different types. Reasons I heard include avoiding supply problems if one supplier can't keep up, and also being able to price negotiate between them ("brand A is giving us tires for $X, so beat their price and we will start buying more of yours instead...")

http://www.lanereport.com/3579/2012...ore-jobs-new-facilities-electrified-vehicles/

DEARBORN, Mich. (March 28, 2012) – Ford in the past five years has doubled the size of the team working on fuel-saving technologies like EcoBoost® turbocharged gasoline engines, hybrids, plug-in hybrids and electric vehicles globally, and is now converting one of its largest research and development labs as it continues to hire for further fuel-saving advancements.
Ford’s team of more than 1,000 engineers working on hybrid and electrification programs – including Fusion Hybrid and Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid – has grown so fast that the company today is announcing the conversion of its 285,000-square-foot Advanced Engineering Center in Dearborn, Mich., to electrified vehicle development.
“Ford remains absolutely committed to providing a wide range of choices of top fuel economy solutions for our customers – from EcoBoost-powered gasoline vehicles and hybrids to plug-in hybrids and full electrics,” said Mark Fields, Ford president of The Americas. “To meet growing demand for our fuel-efficient vehicles, we are continuing to invest in new jobs in the U.S. and converting our facilities for further advancements.”
The new jobs are part of Ford’s plans to add more than 12,000 hourly and salaried jobs by 2015 in the United States. The company also has announced it is tripling production capacity of its hybrid, plug-in hybrid and electric vehicles in the U.S. next year compared with 2011.
From EcoBoost to hybrids and from plug-in hybrids to full electric vehicles, this year Ford will offer nine vehicles reaching an anticipated 40 mpg or more.