TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ford Focus EV = Model S competition ???!???

Discussion in 'Model S' started by TEG, May 6, 2009.

1. MarkW

MarkW Member

#2 MarkW, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
    AutoBlogGreen reported in January that the Ford Focus EV was targeted to have a 100 mile range, 0-60mph in 10 seconds, top speed electronically limited to 95mph, 450 lb. weight penalty vs. regular Focus and use a Magna developed EV drive train with li-ion and a single speed tranny. If it's the same as the drive train shown in the Mila, then it uses a 67hp (50kW) motor. While not exactly a Model S competitor, it might compete with the Bluestar and is certainly an EV to watch.

ABG Quick Drive: Ford Focus EV mule [w/VIDEO]

2. siry

siry Member

In the absence of a mid-range market offering from Ford, or for that matter Nissan, Model S would pull a lot of those buyers up-market. If there are EV sedans on the market for around $40K then they will impinge on the market for the low-end Model S, which we can assume will be around $65K at the lowest.

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

A bit like now where a fully loaded Honda Insight is about the same as a base Prius. Some people might go for the lower end vehicle but with more add ons.

I thought the article was off base to compare the Focus to the Model S, but I suppose if you put every possible option on the Focus it might have something desirable not found on the base Model S.

Even the base Model S will still have more range, comfort, space, style and other things that put it in a different league.

4. SByer

SByer '08 #383

It's not a zero sum game. An additional validation of BEVs by a big auto mfr. only serves to expand the market for them, and hastens better infrastructure support.

5. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I don't see how the Focus EV will be comparable to the Model S ever. If it was a Fusion EV or a Taurus EV I can see the comparison, but the sizes of the two aren't even close.

Though I will say there's a good chance I'll be looking at the Focus EV if the Bluestar isn't out yet. Hopefully it comes in a 5 door hatch version.

6. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

I've heard poeple say if there is a car with at least the size of the Prius, seats 4-5 people and can drive over 100 miles there is a market. In other words a normal practical family car for a family of 2-4 people. For that segment I would say the Focus EV is competing with the Model S in the same way you can say a BMW 3 is competing with a Focus. No doubt the 3-series is faster and "better" but it also carries a higher price...

Cobos

7. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

And the Model S is much more like a 5 series or even a 7 series. For that price you can probably buy 4-5 Fusions :eek: And the Fusion is a much smaller car that the Model S. I agree that there may be a HUGE demand for the BEV Fusion but competition for the Model S ?!?!?!?! No.

8. DDB

DDB Member

We don't have a price point yet...hold your horses. If this thing comes in at the MiEV price, look out!

9. Kevin Harney

True but I was using the price point of an ICE Fusion. If it was substantially different I think they would give it its own model name. But you are correct in that I am assuming that it will basically be the same car as the current Fusion. Perhaps my assumption will be wrong. We all what happens when we assume ....

10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Note, the article talks of the Ford Focus EV, not Fusion. The Focus is a much smaller car.

Focus=small
    Fusion=medium
    Model S=large

11. Kevin Harney

That makes it EVEN WORSE. I missed that. That makes the only way it can be compared to the Model S is that it is a BEV.

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Nice, VFX... Isn't that "my job"? :eek:

14. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I don't think those pictures give an accurate depiction of the cars sizes relative to each other.

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

They definitely don't. The extra large wheels on the Model S prototype give it a distorted size perception in pictures without the context of other vehicles actually parked next to it. The focus has much smaller wheels by comparison which makes the body seem bigger than it really is when compared to Model S prototype photos.

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

And it has 4 doors. And 4 wheels. And a hatchback like rear window. And they may come to market around the same time.