Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Focus EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW I thought the boot was bigger than I expected.
I think the problem really is that Ford has been so opaque about FFE. They haven't let any journalist drive it and do a full review. GM & Nissan also took Volt & Nissan on test drive tours months before first deliveries where all of us could checkout the cars. Ford needs to do that for all of us to get a better idea of the car and also to drum up support. At this point they seem to be rather uncommitted to FFE.

http://www.triplepundit.com/2012/04/ford-focus-ev-team-takes-steps-avoid-chevy-volts-pitfalls/
For starters, unlike other EV manufacturers, Ford will be building the Focus EV on the same production line as the gas-powered, hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions. This provides much more flexibility to adjust to the rising and falling demands for each of the variously powered models.
That flexibility will be further leveraged by a build-to-order system that has prompted one writer, James Murray, at Business Green, to dub Ford, “the Dell Computer of Electric Vehicles.” The build-to-order process will share some similarities with Dell’s production process, which allows customers to select the options of their choice and receive their car in 4-6 weeks. The strategy will help “de-risk” the rollout. According to Mike Tinskey, Ford’s Vehicle Electrification chief, “There are simply too many variables impacting the market that we have no control over, so this gives us real flexibility. If the price of crude rises and demand for EVs climbs we can produce more EVs and fewer gas vehicles.”
Of course, it also helps that the Focus EV has the highest effective mileage rating of any car in America at 110 mpg city, and 99 mpg highway. This beats the Volt’s 93/95, as does the price, which is still a rather steep $39,995, but that beats the Volt by $1000. Both prices are before incentives including a $7500 Federal tax credit are applied. The Focus will have a range of 100 miles and a top speed of 84 mph.

According to the ford build & price site, the focus EV has an incentive til July that takes an extra 7500$ off the price (for lease customers)...

(RCL Customer Cash: Program #50140: Take new retail delivery from dealer stock by 7/2/2012. See dealer for residency restrictions and complete details. Amount: $7,500. Offer Valid: 4/3/2012-7/2/2012.)

RCL = Red Carpet Lease.

Drove it this weekend on the first stop of the US tour. Actually liked it. Liked the looks and the acceleration was a bit more than a Leaf. Inside is car-like and nothing too futuristic.

On the flip side, There is almost no trunk a-la-Mini and there is no frunk (but they could have done a shallow one if they tried) The voice map system was a bit clunky and really had no way of seeing local charge stations. Only ones that were along your programmed route. And 76 miles? Really? At that price they are just blowing smoke up our non existent tailpipes

Last edited:
You liked it? I'm borrowing one right now. I hate it. Zero trunk space. Fuel filler door mechanism is really stupid. The fuel filler lights don't turn on until AFTER you plug in (it doesn't help you see anything while you're trying to find the plug in the dark). Lots of wind noise on the freeway compared to the Leaf. Horrible analog gauge cluster. No way to turn off the auto-lock-the-doors-when-you-drive feature. Don't get me started about the headrests. Worst part of all.... you'll never guess in a million years.... ready????

*** HORRIBLE THROTTLE RESPONSE ***

Yes, you heard me. It's worse than my Acura with automatic transmission.

View attachment 5778
Didn't realize the Leaf was that much taller. Which one feels roomier?

You liked it? I'm borrowing one right now. I hate it. Zero trunk space. Fuel filler door mechanism is really stupid. The fuel filler lights don't turn on until AFTER you plug in (it doesn't help you see anything while you're trying to find the plug in the dark). Lots of wind noise on the freeway compared to the Leaf. Horrible analog gauge cluster. No way to turn off the auto-lock-the-doors-when-you-drive feature. Don't get me started about the headrests. Worst part of all.... you'll never guess in a million years.... ready????

*** HORRIBLE THROTTLE RESPONSE ***

Yes, you heard me. It's worse than my Acura with automatic transmission.

click for larger view

Most of your observations are things I was not going to learn in a buzz around a few blocks. Honestly I did not find the throttle response as bad. Of course I drive the penultimate car the Roadster but other EVvs like the MiniE and the Think may have lowered my not-a-Tesla expectations. I did find the pickup better than the Leaf but you certainly have a better comparison set. I could stop by and try them all out if you are game! :)

PS
Your pristine car bay pic needs to be in the "Garage thread".

Reuters - Ford to start shipping Focus Electric to dealers
About 350 Focus Electric cars will be sent to 67 dealers in California, New Jersey and New York over the next couple weeks. Manufacturing executives signed off on the decision on Friday.

Each dealer will get about six cars, one of which will be a demonstration model, the people said.

Ford declined to comment on the news. The people asked not to be named because the plans are confidential.