Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Mach-e

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ldub22, my nasty comment was not pointed at you. It was pointed at the earlier comment calling me a shill (which I guess is really not a nasty thing to say). Responses to a few comments above:
  • The Mach-E has one footed driving (which I love), but my wife will likely not use that so having regen blended with the mechanical braking is an advantage. I would not consider an EV that does not have one footed driving.
  • Ford will do over the air updates
  • You said the AWD has not been tested/confirmed. Most of the many, many YouTube reviews released this week were in the AWD long range and many commented that the 270 mile range seems realistic - which seems to be what the Model Y LR gets.
  • You may not value a roof compartment for sunglasses but many do
  • The community feature of Waze for indicating the presence of police is unmatched and I will not drive without it - even though I also use a radar detector. I have not heard Waze is going away.
  • The Mach-E does not have fart mode, but I am sure I can compensate for that (although my family may not appreciate it).
  • I have never experienced Ford build quality, but at least they paint the entire car :)
  • Alex on Autos review mentioned that many Ford dealers have committed to no mark-ups for the Mach-E. I guess we will see

Let's just say: it's about time there was an option to a Tesla besides the I-Pace.
Let's also say: for most of us, this is not really a contender, it's more of a "Bolt SUV" - looks good on paper, but the company has shown no indication that they will make a commitment to it.

I'm afraid that I will have to show my OG Tesla owner stripes a little but here:
Ford, and frankly all of the Big Three are some of the most egregious producers of gas-guzzler road vehicles that this world has ever seen.
I refuse to believe for a second that Ford wants to play a leading role in the EV revolution. AAMOF, they have no interest in committing to electric vehicles. If they have, it is with ulterior motives in mind. This is simply a way for them to keep producing the pollution-spewing vehicles that they have been making for generations, while getting green credits. They have been trying to kill Tesla for years, through Congress, the dealership lobbies, and the President.
So for me, even if Ford does produce a competitive vehicle, I would never buy it because Ford is a black hat in the automotive world stage from an environmental standpoint. If Ford had their way, we would all drive F450s everywhere.
Not that there isn't a place for trucks and towing capacity and all that, but FORD leading the green revolution?

Please.

I think the Mach-E will sell well to Ford fans and some non-Tesla drivers. While I like the Mach-E (a lot), having owned Tesla, I don't think I would be able to switch. Dog Mode, Camp Mode, 360 Sentry Mode & dash cam, the phone app, etc. have locked me in. Also, not having to haggle with a dealership.

Never said Ford was leading the green revolution or that they care about anything other than making money. I just think it appears to be a really good car.

And good on you. I don't expect anyone else here to have my misgivings, which is why I was specific in my critiques of the Ford.

Tesla ownership has really changed in the last 5 years. The first ones were really into the mission, and I felt very proud to not only get a fabulous and fast car, but an American car that was the most technologically advanced by far, completely and wholly new, and allowed you to have a conscience without compromise. The great thing is, Tesla is STILL that way!

I would LOVE to have the Big Three really mean it when they were thinking of accelerating the shift away from gasoline, which is Tesla's mission statement. But now we are left in the US, with Tesla, Rivan, and the Saudi-backed guys at Lucid (talk about two faced! You buy a Lucid and support a totalitarian regime that has made its money on oil and oppression!).

Ford and GM are just trying to make a quick buck off of EV owners looking for alternatives. Don't expect them to jump fully into the market, and you will be a second class citizen at the Ford dealership, I assure you. If you want to get a non-Tesla company that looks like it will back its vehicles, I would look to VW. At least they seem to be looking to try to change their culture. I also think Jaguar doesn't get the love they deserve, probably because they are a small fry. But the way people here complain about Tesla service (my experiences bear NO resemblance to the grousing that I hear here), that should be familiar!

As long as you don't buy a Jeep Trackhawk, or a jacked up F450 duelie with a bed cover and leather seats, you are good in my book.

Let's just say: it's about time there was an option to a Tesla besides the I-Pace.
Let's also say: for most of us, this is not really a contender, it's more of a "Bolt SUV" - looks good on paper, but the company has shown no indication that they will make a commitment to it.

I'm afraid that I will have to show my OG Tesla owner stripes a little but here:
Ford, and frankly all of the Big Three are some of the most egregious producers of gas-guzzler road vehicles that this world has ever seen.
I refuse to believe for a second that Ford wants to play a leading role in the EV revolution. AAMOF, they have no interest in committing to electric vehicles. If they have, it is with ulterior motives in mind. This is simply a way for them to keep producing the pollution-spewing vehicles that they have been making for generations, while getting green credits. They have been trying to kill Tesla for years, through Congress, the dealership lobbies, and the President.
So for me, even if Ford does produce a competitive vehicle, I would never buy it because Ford is a black hat in the automotive world stage from an environmental standpoint. If Ford had their way, we would all drive F450s everywhere.
Not that there isn't a place for trucks and towing capacity and all that, but FORD leading the green revolution?

Please.

I would rate your OG Tesla owner stripes as a pretty big form of Kool Aid based on this post. If you think the above is true, well. sorry.

• Disagree
Reactions: TLLMRRJ and Ldub22
I really do think the big 3 finally realize that EVs are the future and need to get there sooner than later. Ford spent a tremendous amount of money putting the Mach-E together and it is certainly much more than a compliance car. Again, I don't think the big 3 are shifting to EVs to do the right thing for the planet, rather they realize if they want to continue to be a significant player in the personal transportation market 10-15 years from now they better have a pretty solid assortment of EVs.

What really matters is what you and I demand and buy. Ford and Tesla want to sell cars and if the buyers demand EVs, then the company that offers the best will be the most successful. Kudos to Tesla for showing the world that EVs can be commercially successful and really engaging to drive. I rented a Model Y a few months ago from Turo and I was hooked within the first 5 miles.

Curious as to what others think?

First of all, I think it is unethical to buy products from a company of one of the major ideologues of antisemitism.

I like to watch reviews muted. Then I see the Mach-E has unnecessary complicated door opening tech, looks like an econobox small size SUV, shows a lot of body roll and possibly skidding. And never have I seen Range/SOC% any close to the EPA value on its little rectangular screen. Often I saw the total range under 200 miles.

I really do think the big 3 finally realize that EVs are the future and need to get there sooner than later. Ford spent a tremendous amount of money putting the Mach-E together and it is certainly much more than a compliance car. Again, I don't think the big 3 are shifting to EVs to do the right thing for the planet, rather they realize if they want to continue to be a significant player in the personal transportation market 10-15 years from now they better have a pretty solid assortment of EVs.

What really matters is what you and I demand and buy. Ford and Tesla want to sell cars and if the buyers demand EVs, then the company that offers the best will be the most successful. Kudos to Tesla for showing the world that EVs can be commercially successful and really engaging to drive. I rented a Model Y a few months ago from Turo and I was hooked within the first 5 miles.

So you aren’t an owner, you just post here about Fords?

Ford and Tesla want to sell cars and if the buyers demand EVs, then the company that offers the best will be the most successful.

I think you didn't get then why Elon Musk invested in Tesla. According to you, Tesla will start making diesel trucks if that's what people want. That's not the case. A major purpose of Tesla is to CREATE demand for electric everything. Tesla did it. Ford missed it. Tesla and Ford are not on the same playing field.

Reactions: house9 and Ldub22
If you don't realize that the Big 3 have been trying to kill Tesla for years, avoid emission standards, and avoid EVs, and sell pickups with no emissions regulations, your Kool Aid has LSD in it.

No, I believe that 100%. What I don't believe is the rest of the hyperbole about them not being committed to EV's. For god's sake, they just put the Mustang badge on an EV to sell it and their next EV will be the F-150. I mean, how can you say "I refuse to believe for a second that Ford wants to play a leading role in the EV revolution. AAMOF, they have no interest in committing to electric vehicles. If they have, it is with ulterior motives in mind. This is simply a way for them to keep producing the pollution-spewing vehicles that they have been making for generations, while getting green credits. " with a straight face?

I like to watch reviews muted. Then I see the Mach-E has unnecessary complicated door opening tech, looks like an econobox small size SUV, shows a lot of body roll and possibly skidding. And never have I seen Range/SOC% any close to the EPA value on its little rectangular screen. Often I saw the total range under 200 miles.

Wait, are you talking about the Mustang, or the Model Y? LOL.

Oh, and no reviews showed "lot of body roll" or "possibly skidding".

Ok, the first thing I noticed was that the fonts on the screen seem to be large enough to read. :D Seriously, that's a pretty big win in my mind.

Taking in the rest of the car it looks like Ford might have a winner here. They seem to have paid attention to the charging situation and I like the eye tracking. They even have over the air updates!

I know a lot of people are griping about the door handles, but I really like the rear doors and how you grab the edge of the door itself instead of a "handle". That's how everyone uses my MY rear doors anyway so it makes sense to build it in to the design.

Basically, they seem to have copied the Tesla playbook for a lot of things, and that's not a bad thing.

Congratulations Ford! Welcome to the party.

Tesla ... it has NO competition.

640bcacb36425ed7f060ed1395146004.jpg