Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Mach-e

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL, OK. He's driving it on a TRACK. If you think that's a lot of body roll for on a track, well, suggest you recalibrate what you think is body roll.

I compared the motion of Mach-E and the motion of MY in Edmunds videos, and the Mach-E indeed turns with the grace of an econobox like Ford Escape.

And this should NOT surprise anyone considering (1) MacPherson Strut front suspension and (2) 225-width stock tires.
Look, you have a heavier and taller SUV with Macpherson struts on 225 wide tires versus a lighter and lower SUV with all wheel multilink on 255 wide tires. C'mon.

Porsche 911's have strut front suspensions. Don't see anyone calling them bad. Wider tires factor into ultimate grip, not transient response and body roll.

Also, watched the full Edmunds video with the sound on. He deliberately induced the oversteer by purposefully lifting off mid corner. The car mildly rotated and he easily caught it. This is called a properly set up suspension.

The suspension of my Model 3 Performance is absolutely the weakest part of the car. Ride quality is poor, it's very jiggly and does not control it's movements well. It gets floaty above 80 MPH and under larger body motions, starts to run out of answers quickly. So unless the Model Y's suspension is dramatically better, I have no doubt that the Ford can be just as good.

Reactions: Solor
I like to watch reviews muted. Then I see the Mach-E has unnecessary complicated door opening tech, looks like an econobox small size SUV, shows a lot of body roll and possibly skidding. .

Perhaps you should watch the review with the sound on. Some quotes.

"Steering is one of the stronger points"

"If you are an enthusiast, there is actually a lot of adjustbility, you can turn it in and by lifting off the throttle, you can make the whole thing drift around a little bit".

"If you haven't noticed, I'm genuinely having fun in this car".

"Where it does score over the Tesla is in the ride quality. Certainly our Model Y Performance that Edmunds owns has a ride quality that is on the unacceptable side of harsh. This is much better. It still feels fairly firm, but the way that it deals with big bumps and undulations is vastly superior".

And never have I seen Range/SOC% any close to the EPA value on its little rectangular screen. Often I saw the total range under 200 miles.

"Ford claims 270 miles on a single charge. But we actually managed an impressive 304 miles on Edmunds EV test loop, achieving an efficiency of [331 wH/mile]" (they quoted kWh/100 miles.

Not as good as Tesla as far as efficiency goes, but certainly capable of meeting it's range. Unlike most Teslas.

Porsche 911's have strut front suspensions. Don't see anyone calling them bad. Wider tires factor into ultimate grip, not transient response and body roll.

Also, watched the full Edmunds video with the sound on. He deliberately induced the oversteer by purposefully lifting off mid corner. The car mildly rotated and he easily caught it. This is called a properly set up suspension.

The suspension of my Model 3 Performance is absolutely the weakest part of the car. Ride quality is poor, it's very jiggly and does not control it's movements well. It gets floaty above 80 MPH and under larger body motions, starts to run out of answers quickly. So unless the Model Y's suspension is dramatically better, I have no doubt that the Ford can be just as good.
Ok, ok, you right, Mach-E is the best vehicle ever, it is totally destroying Tesla. Musk should get ready to leave for Mars.

• Funny
Reactions: house9
Ok, ok, you right, Mach-E is the best vehicle ever, it is totally destroying Tesla. Musk should get ready to leave for Mars.

Not the point, never even tried to make that point.

Jesus, why does every argument have to be so bi-lateral these days? One thing being good does not mean all other things are bad. That's what I hate about trying to make a point with anyone these days, especially on the internet. I'm not in any way calling the Model Y bad, okay? The Model Y has more positives than the Mustang, IMO. But the Mustang doesn't seem like some also ran, half baked compliance car made to sell F-450's.

Just because you love / own Tesla doesn't mean you're not allowed to think the Mustang Mach E is a good car....

Not the point, never even tried to make that point.

Jesus, why does every argument have to be so bi-lateral these days? One thing being good does not mean all other things are bad. That's what I hate about trying to make a point with anyone these days, especially on the internet. I'm not in any way calling the Model Y bad, okay? The Model Y has more positives than the Mustang, IMO. But the Mustang doesn't seem like some also ran, half baked compliance car made to sell F-450's.

Just because you love / own Tesla doesn't mean you're not allowed to think the Mustang Mach E is a good car....

So after you posted about eighty times on this one thread, I think you got so wrapped up in your own “me against the world” perspective that you missed that most of us liked the Ford, but just had problems with it. I, for one, gave specific criticisms of the car (gasp!) and was slammed for it.
Then, as someone who has owned Teslas since 2015 and supports the company (gasp!), and it’s mission, I was slammed as a “Kool Aid” drinker ON A TESLA FORUM. Oh, the irony!
If anything, I’m the one who should be frustrated, but I’m used to it.
Look, we all love when other options appear. Good on Ford for that. My specific reservations about the physical car are in my previous post. But I also worry about Ford the company, and how that would affect the ownership experience. Praising Ford for making the Mach-E is like praising a massive, 100 year-old mining company for starting a corporate office recycling program. It rings a little hollow.
The Ford deserves a lot of skepticism. It was clearly their limited, test response to the pressure of the EV push. They have never made any significant EVs before. They have never made interfaces like the MEs before. They have never done over the air software updates before, and the production of the car will be extremely limited. They are testing the waters, and MME owners are the guinea pigs.
Ford’s software development resources are murky and questionable, their history of non-truck build quality is spotty, they are known as a ponderous, slow to adapt, conservative company, and their corporate history of reliance on government bailouts makes them seem timid to really committing to retooling their lineup as they claim.
Changing your trucks from gas/diesel to battery is not retooling, it is changing industries. It is change on a massive scale, and there will be a lot of push back by the cronies and stockholders who have no vision beyond the next earnings call.
Buying a MME is fraught with uncertainty. The vehicle may tick the right boxes, but it’s like Apple and Android, it’s what’s inside that counts to you as a consumer.
But yes, I am happy to see them in the world, and can’t wait to go drive one.

• Disagree
Reactions: Needsdecaf
So back to my original point when I started this topic: I think Ford has done a great job with the Mach-E (based solely on what I have read and viewed on the internet) and the Mach-E is a serious contender for my $ when I purchase an EV in the Spring of 2021. The Mach-E has some real advantages in terms of features and technology (in my opinion) over the Model Y and I think anyone considering a Model Y should consider a Mach-E as well.

Yes Ford is a big bad industrial company whose products have been spewing carbon into the air for over a century, but I really think they now get the fact that the world is moving from ICE to EV and for them to remain relevant in the automobile and truck world they have to provide vehicles that are conveyed by electricity and that people want to drive. I believe I read they are going to manufacture 65,000 Mach-Es in 2021, so I don't feel the car will be offered in limited quantities (as posted earlier). I am tempted to mention that Henry Ford was instrumental in getting horses and their related waste, pollution and disease off the streets, but that is another topic.

Yes, I have concerns about the Ford dealer network and the charging infrastructure, but I also have concerns about Tesla's ability to paint and assemble a vehicle. The fact that the established delivery process of a Tesla is for the new owner to download a checklist and spend about an hour at the dealership to go over every inch of the car to be sure the car was painted and assembled properly is crazy and amazing that consumers accept that. I rented a Model Y for a day and the car (with less than 2000 miles) had two significant squeaks/rattles and the white paint on the rear bumper clearly did not match the rest of the car. I also don't completely buy in to Musk's rhetoric about saving the world. The guy is clearly brilliant, but I also think he is a master salesman.

Reactions: cusetownusa
So back to my original point when I started this topic: I think Ford has done a great job with the Mach-E (based solely on what I have read and viewed on the internet) and the Mach-E is a serious contender for my $ when I purchase an EV in the Spring of 2021. The Mach-E has some real advantages in terms of features and technology (in my opinion) over the Model Y and I think anyone considering a Model Y should consider a Mach-E as well.

Yes Ford is a big bad industrial company whose products have been spewing carbon into the air for over a century, but I really think they now get the fact that the world is moving from ICE to EV and for them to remain relevant in the automobile and truck world they have to provide vehicles that are conveyed by electricity and that people want to drive. I believe I read they are going to manufacture 65,000 Mach-Es in 2021, so I don't feel the car will be offered in limited quantities (as posted earlier). I am tempted to mention that Henry Ford was instrumental in getting horses and their related waste, pollution and disease off the streets, but that is another topic.

Yes, I have concerns about the Ford dealer network and the charging infrastructure, but I also have concerns about Tesla's ability to paint and assemble a vehicle. The fact that the established delivery process of a Tesla is for the new owner to download a checklist and spend about an hour at the dealership to go over every inch of the car to be sure the car was painted and assembled properly is crazy and amazing that consumers accept that. I rented a Model Y for a day and the car (with less than 2000 miles) had two significant squeaks/rattles and the white paint on the rear bumper clearly did not match the rest of the car. I also don't completely buy in to Musk's rhetoric about saving the world. The guy is clearly brilliant, but I also think he is a master salesman.

Funny, I just got my brand new Model Y yesterday, and it was delivered to my house by a nice guy who brought all the paperwork. The car was flawless and had perfect panel gaps. It was also immaculately clean and in perfect working order.
It is the THIRD Tesla that I have purchased that was delivered clean, perfect, and conveniently. So considering your “opinion” is based on others’ reports, I would like to add that mine was excellent. My good friend bought a Raptor that leaked. So YMMV.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 65
Yes, I am sure that many receive their Teslas in perfect condition, but I did post a poll on this forum a few days ago regarding build quality. While the sample size is small, about 20% of respondents did say their vehicles were unacceptable (or worse). That is a huge number.

I believe I read they are going to manufacture 65,000 Mach-Es in 2021, so I don't feel the car will be offered in limited quantities (as posted earlier).
Please post a reference to 65,000 Mach-Es in 2021 if you find it. It is still a tiny number for a mass market. I think a good question we ask Ford should be "What other car in the Ford's lineup does the Mach-E replace? Escape/Kuga or Edge?"

I also have concerns about Tesla's ability to paint and assemble a vehicle. ...I rented a Model Y for a day and the car (with less than 2000 miles) had two significant squeaks/rattles and the white paint on the rear bumper clearly did not match the rest of the car.

Sorry, but it sounds as you got a recently damaged rental that has been repaired not to spec.

As we all know, infommercials power the masses, watching a car that looks like a Mustang being touted as the non plus ultra by a borrowed gun, etc. etc.

Sad part will be that the flawed i-Pace, Pacifica Hybrid, Polestar 2. ID.3 disillusioned cheated owners will spread the word about how terrible the "electric horse" is.

IMHO legacy automakers still have not realized what a threat Tesla really is, and for many it will be too late.

Here in the USA, the e-Tron and Taycan, though not as efficient, stand out as good but plagued by the mostly one stall (thus fail = station closed) Combo-CCS network with massive stranding odds along the interstate routes.

Reactions: alexgr
So after you posted about eighty times on this one thread, I think you got so wrapped up in your own “me against the world” perspective that you missed that most of us liked the Ford, but just had problems with it. I, for one, gave specific criticisms of the car (gasp!) and was slammed for it.
Then, as someone who has owned Teslas since 2015 and supports the company (gasp!), and it’s mission, I was slammed as a “Kool Aid” drinker ON A TESLA FORUM. Oh, the irony!
Look, we all love when other options appear. Good on Ford for that. My specific reservations about the physical car are in my previous post. But I also worry about Ford the company, and how that would affect the ownership experience. Praising Ford for making the Mach-E is like praising a massive, 100 year-old mining company for starting a corporate office recycling program. It rings a little hollow.
The Ford deserves a lot of skepticism. It was clearly their limited, test response to the pressure of the EV push. They have never made any significant EVs before. They have never made interfaces like the MEs before. They have never done over the air software updates before, and the production of the car will be extremely limited. They are testing the waters, and MME owners are the guinea pigs.
Ford’s software development resources are murky and questionable, their history of non-truck build quality is spotty, they are known as a ponderous, slow to adapt, conservative company, and their corporate history of reliance on government bailouts makes them seem timid to really committing to retooling their lineup as they claim.
Changing your trucks from gas/diesel to battery is not retooling, it is changing industries. It is change on a massive scale, and there will be a lot of push back by the cronies and stockholders who have no vision beyond the next earnings call.
Buying a MME is fraught with uncertainty. The vehicle may tick the right boxes, but it’s like Apple and Android, it’s what’s inside that counts to you as a consumer.

What I'm specifically reacting to you in your post is repeated characterization of Ford is being this evil empire of the car world. You're more than a little cynical.

Also, Ford took no Government bailouts.

Look, EVERY legacy automaker got caught with their pants down by Tesla. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Is this some condemnation on them for fighting the future? To a certain extent, yes. But on the other hand, why change or mess with success unless they have to? Tesla made sure that they had to. Telsa has, I believe, succeeded in changing the entire automotive landscape.

Look at BMW. They've been screwing around for how long now, 10 years? The mini-e was their first toe in the water, they invested HUGELY in carbon manufacturing for the i3 and what do they have now? The ugly-as-sin i4 coming out? Yeesh.

Some would say and I would argue that for VW, dieselgate was the best thing that could have happened to them. Being forced to head down the electrification path and give up diesels has given them a huge step forward.

Maybe it's because I work with large corporations and work with the people, and executives, of large corporations that I don't see them as faceless entities, hell bent on profits. There are people there. Sometimes people a bit ruthless but then again, Elon is no exception to this rule. And I believe that by in large these people, just as Elon has done, have good intentions overall. So my I don't like to project rhetoric on any organization the way you do when you say "raising Ford for making the Mach-E is like praising a massive, 100 year-old mining company for starting a corporate office recycling program. It rings a little hollow"

Last edited:
Reactions: wws
It's a Tesla owners forum and this sub is "other EVs". A lot of us love our cars, are huge EV fans, but aren't devoted to Elon.

Factually, the Mach-E matters a lot. If it triggers you that some of us like Ford, maybe you should keep scrolling?

It's a Tesla owners forum and this sub is "other EVs". A lot of us love our cars, are huge EV fans, but aren't devoted to Elon.

Factually, the Mach-E matters a lot. If it triggers you that some of us like Ford, maybe you should keep scrolling?

It doesn’t “trigger me”, lol.

Boy people get testy when you disagree with them!

I just don’t want to make a major purchase from a company that has no commitment to the product, and is trying out a product that they have never made before.
Remember, car companies’ talents are essentially based on four things: manufacturing facilities, supplier relationships, drivetrain and platform engineering, and distribution/marketing. For Ford, the drivetrain/platform is all new, and the suppliers are suspect. What they have going for them is manufacturing and sales.
Is that good enough? Maybe.
Whether I like Ford as a company or not, they are swimming in new waters and they are engineering from home. Not the ideal way to “close the gap”.
Engineering from Home, According to the Ford Mustang Mach-E Team

Please post a reference to 65,000 Mach-Es in 2021 if you find it.

I believe I read they are going to manufacture 65,000 Mach-Es in 2021, so I don't feel the car will be offered in limited quantities (as posted earlier)

According to this article from early November: 50,000 globally. Maybe that number has changed?

- Ford Mustang Mach-E being built as buyers clamor for all-electric SUV

> These hot new SUVs won't fill dealerships; they'll be made to order. In the first year, Ford is expecting to build an estimated 50,000 globally.

@JeffreyC - I hope you get one, more EVs on the road the better, but you better get in your order now? It’s possible most of these cars are going to Europe? I would personally stay away from 1st generation Ford EV battery tech.

Tesla is expected to deliver close to 500,000 EV this year and has two factories that should be coming online next year. Hopefully Ford ups their game soon.

> The vehicle is built at the Ford plant in Cuautitlán Izcalli, Mexico. While the first vehicles will be made for pending orders, dealerships will eventually be shipped supplies.

I like the fact my money is going to workers in the US, nothing against Mexican labor force I’m sure they are delivering as good of quality as my fellow Californians. Guessing 80%+ of the manufacturing for both Tesla and Ford is via robots anyhow. └[ ∵ ]┘

Reactions: RNHurt