Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Ford Makes $11.4B Investment in Electric Future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ford announced Monday a massive $11.4 billion investment in its plans to build electric vehicles.

The company, alongside battery partner SK Innovation, plans to build three new production facilities in Tennessee and Kentucky that will build both electric vehicles and batteries. Ford said the initiative will create 11,000 jobs.

Ford said the investment was spurred by strong demand for the all-new Ford F-150 Lightning truck, E-Transit and Mustang Mach-E electric vehicles.

“This is a transformative moment where Ford will lead America’s transition to electric vehicles and usher in a new era of clean, carbon-neutral manufacturing,” Ford Executive Chair Bill Ford said in a release. “With this investment and a spirit of innovation, we can achieve goals once thought mutually exclusive – protect our planet, build great electric vehicles Americans will love and contribute to our nation’s prosperity.”

It’s worth noting that Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk wrote in his “Tesla Master Plan” that theoverarching purpose of Tesla Motors “is to help expedite the move from a mine-and-burn hydrocarbon economy towards a solar electric economy.”

Ford’s investment, alongside many automakers transitioning their offerings to electric, is certainly a win for Musk, despite the growing competition.

Ford expects 40% to 50% of its global vehicle volume to be fully electric by 2030.

Last edited by a moderator:
We should all applaud this announcement. It's not we against them, but united we can built a better planet. I hope their vision comes true. Competition is good for everyone. Elon Musk should be proud that he sparked a revolution. Many people where pretty skeptical that electric cars could ever happen. Elon proved this was possible. I think it would be nice if we could all adopt a standard for charging stations similar to gas stations where everyone could use the various fuel stations despite the brand. That would make the most sense to me. And of course Tesla should be compensated for their investment and more charging stations should be made available. I hope it works.

Reactions: theothertom
Yep, most EV manufacturers seem to be missing this important point. I think Tesla's supercharger network is one of the things that makes them so successful.
The test drive sold me on buying a Tesla. Then reality set in and it hit me that I couldn't just stop at basically any exit on the interstate and get fuel. The super charger network being in place is what convinced me that I could actually make the jump.

For me I'm within a single charge from home almost all the time but if I ever needed to go visit family without using my wife's ICE vehicle I needed to know that it was not only possible but also not problematic. After a bit of research it seemed that it would be pretty easy to get there and get charged while out of town. Granted the town I'm from is tiny so I'd likely have to stay in a bigger city about 20 minutes away so I could get some charging for driving around but that's not really a problem to me.

Reactions: theothertom
When I visit family, I use the charger that came with the car and plug into a 120V outlet. It's a 20 amp circuit and nothing else is on the circuit, so I set the charging amps at 12. So for a 6pm to 6am charge (12 hours), I'll get 40-50 miles of added range. Enough for me to drive around a little.
It would be a bonus if you could plug into a 240V outlet, like a dryer outlet. Just make sure you set your charging amps to 80% of the breaker voltage. You can get an adapter for the dryer outlet on tesla.com/shop. Just make sure you get one with the prongs that match your outlet.