Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Mustang Mach E Needs a Rethink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a Ford Mustang Mach E in June 2022. 6 months later, trading it in for a MYLR.

Looking back, this car needs to be rethought. Ford's custom configuration / dealer purchasing model creates huge disadvantages for buyers, the features / pricing isn't well thought out, the charging situation is patchwork at best, and the software is inferior to a linked cell phone. It strikes me as first generation technology that would benefit from substantial innovation.

For those considering buying one, educate yourself thoroughly before proceeding. There are many pitfalls along the way.

Purchasing Process - Never Buy from a Dealer

Let's dispel the myth the MME is a "hot" car. Scarcity on dealer lots results from the delivery process. This perception is used against buyers to justify additional dealer markups.

Typically, people reserve a Mach E and receive it 6 - 12 months later. Dealers get these cars when buyers refuse delivery on a reservation.

The trouble with this model is reservation fees are fully refundable. It costs nothing for a buyer to refuse delivery, which creates a situation where dealers are mostly stocking base configurations or maxed out feature packages no one actually wants. When I was buying, it was almost impossible to get a mid-range configuration package (called a Premium,) while Selects and top of the line GTs were abundant.

You start to see the problem when you consider someone buying from a dealer probably hasn't done any research on the full line. In my situation, my old car died and I had about a week to make a decision. I test drove an MME Premium on a Saturday and left without buying. Checked in the next day, the car I drove was already sold but the salesman said there would be another later in the week. He would not be able to hold it, but told me exactly when to be there to make sure I was first in line. Arrived at the dealership, after a brief inspection I moved forward with the purchase.

In retrospect, this was a mistake. The car I test drove was a Premium, the car I bought was a Select. In terms of differences, there was no 360 degree camera, no power lift gates, no heated seats, no front-facing camera, and more. My fault for not thinking this through, but I really wasn't aware of the differences between a Select and a Premium at the time. The lack of those features was consequential. Ford has an autopilot clone called BlueCruise, the lack of a front-facing camera means the car can never take advantage of this feature (incidentally, Ford advertised BlueCruise as a standard feature on all MMEs.) The hardware can't be upgraded.

The price was above MSRP. Had I reserved it, the price would have been $46k. With dealer add ons and optional service packages, the total price was $52k before delivery, taxes, title, and fees. While some of this could be chalked up to urgency, I spent about $6k more than I needed by going through a dealer. Had I custom ordered, the additional features in the Premium would have cost less than the difference.

Never buy an MME from a dealer. If you are forced to, educate yourself on the line beforehand. The Select is a technological dead end.

The MME was Subject to Recall

The day before I purchased the MME, Ford recalled it. While selling a new car subject to recall is illegal, they did it anyway.

I got a call 3 days after purchase telling me the car can brick when I charge it. Don't charge it and bring it back to the dealer until it can be fixed. They had no timeframe for a fix.

As it turned out, the fix took a week. I did receive a loaner during that time so it wasn't a complete inconvenience. But it was unsettling, buying a car and not being able to enjoy it for a week.

The Battery and the Patchwork of Chargers

Ford marketing gives you the impression the range is fine and you're well supported by a nationwide network of fast chargers. That's misleading.

The standard range battery for an MME is rated at 220 miles. The extended range for an MME is rated at 270 miles.

My experience was range did not translate well into miles travelled, my guess is it was about 10% lower on average in the summer. In the winter, the standard range battery drops to 160 miles, lower on really cold days. There were days this winter I was getting 1 mile per percent of range. Creates a massive amount of anxiety getting into your car and wondering what the numbers are going to look like today.

The charging network is a patchwork between Electrify America, Chargepoint, EvGo and a few others. You can find them in any dense urban environment, but they are few and far between as you get away from the coast. Ford offers a navigation app, superficially similar to Tesla's. It will list the closest chargers to your location, even if they are beyond the maximum range of your car. We relied instead on a mobile app called ABRP when we were away from home, which had a more complete list that includes chargers not in the network.

The time to charge is an issue. The maximum charge rate for the MME is 70kw. Even if you are on one that goes 300kw, the best you will ever do is 70kw. But I don't believe I ever saw the full 70kw, typically I was charging at around 40kw max.

Can't overstate how complicated the charger situation made road trips.

Travelling in rural PA, there were no chargers in the network anywhere near us. One morning, I had to get up at 2 while the family slept to charge on a level 2 charger behind a car dealership. It was the only one for 50 miles, and it took 15% off the battery getting there and back. On a trip to West Virginia, we found ourselves in a charging desert, again with no chargers for 50 miles from our cabin. To ensure we would not run out of juice, we just parked and didn't use the car. Anything beyond a few miles walking was out of reach for us.

For both trips, even when we found fast chargers, The amount of time spent at chargers dragged things out. In one case, a 4 hour drive turned into an 8 hour drive. My wife frequently asked what the point of a road trip was in this car.

Ford's Inadequate Technology

Ford overpromises with the technology. It's present, but we found it to be lacking.

The MME comes with dongles for different drivers to offer some personalization features. It has an interior camera which (I believe) does facial recognition. It also has an app that allows remote start and recognizes when you are present to automatically unlock the doors.

This never worked for us. Despite the fact we created individual profiles tied to each dongle / cell phone, the MME only ever recognized my wife as the driver. If I wanted personalized settings, I had to manually select them from the tablet. We devoted a fair amount of time to this feature before deciding it was unimportant because the only thing you can really personalize is drive modes. It's easier to just select a different one when you get in the car.

The MME comes with a number of apps. Most of them proved inferior to their counterparts on our cell phones.

The navigation app is the big one, it's supposed to give you directions and guide you to chargers. The directions suffer from the lack of real time information on traffic. The shortest route is often the most heavily trafficked, but also the maps did not reflect new development and road closures. The first time I tried using it, I was sent to a road that had been blocked off for construction for months. The charger listings are overwhelming. You either get a list of their in-network charging partners - who are often no where near you - or you get to sort through a list of every level 1 and level 2 charger by distance. This is probably the area with the most room for improvement in the whole car.

The energy app is the only one that doesn't replicate something from our phones. It breaks down how much power is being consumed by different activities. We found we didn't have much of a use for it, primarily because the range was so short. We were more interested in finding the next charger than optimizing our battery usage.

The voice command system is very basic and needs some improvements. First off, there are some commands it would suggest, like changing the volume, but not recognize. But the big issue was when the voice command entry would be triggered by someone speaking on a podcast. This happened frequently enough to be a problem, someone would say something and the screen would switch off the maps to a full screen voice command interface. To clear it, I would need to interact with the screen. When the podcast would start up, it would rewind a few seconds and repeat the process.

As I mentioned, BlueCruise is Ford's autopilot equivalent. There's no way to use it on a Select because you don't have the front-facing cameras. What you do get is Enhanced Cruise Control, which gives you lane assist and automatic breaking. This was not bad and the feature I used most often.

I could go on, but basically: we rarely used the voice commands and the only apps we really used were on our phones. Other than the enhanced cruise control, this car didn't do much for us from a technology standpoint.

2021_Ford_Mustang_Mach-E_EXT_Range_AWD.jpg

"2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E EXT Range AWD" by Calreyn88 is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog feed thumbnail.

@scratch I was one of those ABT guys even though my wife has now owned two S’s going back to 2017.

I owned F150s for years. Bought a Boxster in 2005. Drove it til 2015 when I bought a used 911. I loved those two cars. My wife hated them. She simply did not like the tight ride of the sports cars. Did not drive them and at some level begrudged me owning and driving them.

Well. It was a 2006 911 Carrera 4. It’s 2023. Already did a clutch. Was gonna need brakes. Prob a starter. The convertible top sensor was beeping at me occasionally. It was time to consider what was next. Tires are $2000 front and back and last 20000 miles as long as you don’t push it every time you drive it. What’s the point of a 911 if you don’t have fun when you drive it?

Then Elon cut the price of the M3P performance. I checked the reviews. I checked the 911 vs M3P Evals. Close enough 98% of the time. I live in realville. So far. I love the car. Didn’t think I would. Since I hated my wife’s Model S.

The model S is a sportish sedan. It’s big. It’s heavy. It’s lumbering. Steering is wandering. Acceleration is fun. And I’m sure the Plaid is better but for $150k I’m buying a 911. But for $56000 I’m buying a Model 3 Performance. I sold my 911 in two days, and the M3P cost me 10grand more or less.

If you like your vehicle to handle well, go where you plant it, and accelerate like a spanked horse, get an M3P.

Haven't had problems with driver recognition, the seats, climate controls and steering wheel adjust to my and my wife's settings each time we enter the vehicle. The biggest problem we've run into are with unlocking the car, the driver's door always unlocks as we approach but we'd like the passenger doors to unlock automatically as well. We're currently experiencing this awkward waiting period and never remember to look into it after a drive.
In the MS there is a setting to choose whether all doors or just the driver door unlocks. For the S, I think this setting is to reduce wear on our door handles having to present each time, but I would check to see if your MY has a similar setting in the options menu.

One thing that is frustrating for me...my car is on the side of the garage that has us approach the vehicle from the passenger side. Many times it recognizes my wife's phone before mine, and I am left with having to manually change back to my settings when I get in. Now she has to wait at the front of the garage until my phone unlocks the doors. First world problems...

You will likely find that range estimate to be about as far fetched as the MME. Tesla is probably the worst offender in the current market when it comes to overstating range.
Oh, you.

I've been driving an EV for more than 6 months. I know already range does not precisely translate into miles. I've also been driving my MYLR for about a week. There is a huge difference in range discrepancy, Tesla wins hands down.

Reactions: Olle and Whatstreet
Oh, you.

I've been driving an EV for more than 6 months. I know already range does not precisely translate into miles. I've also been driving my MYLR for about a week. There is a huge difference in range discrepancy, Tesla wins hands down.
I do wish Tesla and all EV manufacturers reported range the same way.

Here is a video explaining the difference. Both are legal but can be misleading.

@scratch I was one of those ABT guys even though my wife has now owned two S’s going back to 2017.

I owned F150s for years. Bought a Boxster in 2005. Drove it til 2015 when I bought a used 911. I loved those two cars. My wife hated them. She simply did not like the tight ride of the sports cars. Did not drive them and at some level begrudged me owning and driving them.

Well. It was a 2006 911 Carrera 4. It’s 2023. Already did a clutch. Was gonna need brakes. Prob a starter. The convertible top sensor was beeping at me occasionally. It was time to consider what was next. Tires are $2000 front and back and last 20000 miles as long as you don’t push it every time you drive it. What’s the point of a 911 if you don’t have fun when you drive it?

Then Elon cut the price of the M3P performance. I checked the reviews. I checked the 911 vs M3P Evals. Close enough 98% of the time. I live in realville. So far. I love the car. Didn’t think I would. Since I hated my wife’s Model S.

The model S is a sportish sedan. It’s big. It’s heavy. It’s lumbering. Steering is wandering. Acceleration is fun. And I’m sure the Plaid is better but for $150k I’m buying a 911. But for $56000 I’m buying a Model 3 Performance. I sold my 911 in two days, and the M3P cost me 10grand more or less.

If you like your vehicle to handle well, go where you plant it, and accelerate like a spanked horse, get an M3P.
Not that I am saying the MSP doesn't handle better, but you really cannot compare the older MS to the M3P. The refresh handles far better than the older S. I got to drive both and I felt like I was driving a 90's Lincoln town car when I switched from my refresh to a 2018 S.

I still don't understand why the S and 3 keep getting compared. They are two different types of cars in two separate price ranges, for two different audiences. The S is marketed to men between 45-60 while the 3 is targeting a younger demographic. If I was still in my 20's or 30's, I would go with the 3. At some point in your life, comfort and ride stiffness starts to matter more than how it takes a sharp turn.

Reactions: Olle
Not that I am saying the MSP doesn't handle better, but you really cannot compare the older MS to the M3P. The refresh handles far better than the older S. I got to drive both and I felt like I was driving a 90's Lincoln town car when I switched from my refresh to a 2018 S.

I still don't understand why the S and 3 keep getting compared. They are two different types of cars in two separate price ranges, for two different audiences. The S is marketed to men between 45-60 while the 3 is targeting a younger demographic. If I was still in my 20's or 30's, I would go with the 3. At some point in your life, comfort and ride stiffness starts to matter more than how it takes a sharp turn.
My wife has a 2021 Refresh bought in Dec 2020. It still handles like a Lincoln Continental from the 70s. It's a land barge =- ok - maybe not that bad. I guess my wife is a male 45-60 . . . she sure loves the car!

Sorry for making the comparison - but - people often ask which one should I buy. And to your point - do you want an AWD 911, get the M3P. Do you want a Japanese sport sedan? Get the M3LR. Do you want a modern Cadillac? Model S.

Oh, you.

I've been driving an EV for more than 6 months.
6 months! Look out guys, we’ve got a veteran up in here! 🫡

;)

I know already range does not precisely translate into miles. I've also been driving my MYLR for about a week. There is a huge difference in range discrepancy, Tesla wins hands down.
My only point was simply that you appear to be comparing the rated miles of a Tesla to your real-world observations in a MME and that’s painting a misleading picture in an otherwise thoughtful and informative thread.

Last edited:
Ok everybody - range math is simple if you haven't thought about it:

Brand new: 82000 watt hours in the battery in a Model 3 Performance.

My local driving is about 264 watt hours per mile. Some up hill, some down hill, it averages for in town driving.

82000 / 264 = 310 miles. Stated range is 315.

As your battery degrades you see less capacity - so you reduce the battery capacity by 5% from year 1 to year 5 [fairly accurate in the real world] you get to 295 miles range.

Heck, I tromped it yesterday to get out in front of a long line of slow cars and I was 1371kwh per mile in that hundred yards - if I were full throttle the whole time I'd see 60 miles of range!

I'm a lead foot - but I am successfully using one foot driving - and for once I see the benefit of stopping at traffic lights! In an ICE car that always kind of annoyed me since it results in worse mileage - that actually seems to help EVs!

I've seen as low as 190w/mile in flat land stop and go. and as high as 340w/mi in hilly but non stop and go. Its all about how you drive - and if you can turn off the HVAC - thankfully I have a heat pump - but the seat heaters are still resistance based. Temps are now 55-65 during the day - which helps. I expect when we get to summer and see those 95-105 temps and 75F lows battery efficiency goes up but so does AC use . . . bet it'll be awash.

My only point was simply that you appear to be comparing the rated miles of a Tesla to your real-world observations in a MME and that’s painting a misleading picture in an otherwise thoughtful and informative thread.
Struggling to find a point in your post, ucmndd.

First you said Tesla range estimates are as far fetched as those of the MME, now you're accusing me of being misleading.

My observations are based solely on driving each vehicle. In Winter, the MME Select with a Standard Battery charges to about 160 miles of range. In Winter, the MYLR charges to about 290 miles of range at 90%. I've acknowledged range doesn't translate directly into miles travelled.

This should be straightforward and simple enough for most people to understand. I don't see any merit in calling anything I said misleading.

Perhaps you could suggest some language that would clarify the points made? Like, something written at a level where you could process the words as they were intended without accusing someone of saying something they didn't say?

My wife has a 2021 Refresh bought in Dec 2020. It still handles like a Lincoln Continental from the 70s. It's a land barge =- ok - maybe not that bad. I guess my wife is a male 45-60 . . . she sure loves the car!

Sorry for making the comparison - but - people often ask which one should I buy. And to your point - do you want an AWD 911, get the M3P. Do you want a Japanese sport sedan? Get the M3LR. Do you want a modern Cadillac? Model S.
Hey if you married a dude that's your business. 😂

Just because the average Tesla owner is a 54 year old male doesn't mean ALL Tesla owners are. Plenty of people buy things outside a companies targeted audience.

Clever name there Gauss Guszzler!

No, I've never owned a Tesla. Supposed to take delivery of a MYLR tomorrow.

To understand my perspective, this was my first new car purchase. Every other car I've owned was bought from a mechanic and the most I'd ever paid was $12k. Before this, I was driving a 2010 Honda Accord v6 ELX with 106k miles. Hit a pothole, damaged the fuel pump and it would have cost more to fix it than the car was worth.

I just got tired of being at the tail end of depreciation. For $56k, I expected more value for the money.

From a looks standpoint, the MME compares favorably with a Mercedes EQS or Porsche Cayenne. Anyone who's never been in one should find a way to do so. The interior is sumptuous and it's easy to get caught up in the appearance. It will make you think those other cars might be overpriced for the class.

From a performance standpoint - like, how does it do on long road trips, what is charging like, what do I get from continuous updates, do the apps actually do anything I can't do on my phone, etc - the MME is a Chevy Bolt in a prom dress. Once you get the picture at the entrance, the looks don't matter anymore. It's going to step on your feet when you dance, and you will get nothing from conversation.
I think the looks of the Mach-e is more comparable to a Pontiac Aztek.

the MME is a Chevy Bolt in a prom dress. Once you get the picture at the entrance, the looks don't matter anymore. It's going to step on your feet when you dance, and you will get nothing from conversation.

Love the analogy. I feel the same way about pretty girls selling the cars at Barrett Jackson. You only get the car, not the girl ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Olle
This was your first dealership experience. It's not just the Mach E. All dealerships are a pain, full of misinformation and friendly atmosphere until they get the sale.

We just bought my wife a new Toyota Highlander and she wanted to crawl under the desk with how I was handling the person trying to handle me. Everything went fine until they shoved us into a locked glass room with the up-seller, trying to get us to buy extended warranties and undercoating etc.

I did enjoy pulling the dealer decal off right in front of them and handing it back to them.

my wife does the same thing when I'm at dealers, and at timeshare sales ;)

Toyota dealers are the worst (at least in my area, darn Toyota reliability!)

Purchased a Ford Mustang Mach E in June 2022. 6 months later, trading it in for a MYLR.

Looking back, this car needs to be rethought. Ford's custom configuration / dealer purchasing model creates huge disadvantages for buyers, the features / pricing isn't well thought out, the charging situation is patchwork at best, and the software is inferior to a linked cell phone. It strikes me as first generation technology that would benefit from substantial innovation.

For those considering buying one, educate yourself thoroughly before proceeding. There are many pitfalls along the way.

Purchasing Process - Never Buy from a Dealer

Let's dispel the myth the MME is a "hot" car. Scarcity on dealer lots results from the delivery process. This perception is used against buyers to justify additional dealer markups.

Typically, people reserve a Mach E and receive it 6 - 12 months later. Dealers get these cars when buyers refuse delivery on a reservation.

The trouble with this model is reservation fees are fully refundable. It costs nothing for a buyer to refuse delivery, which creates a situation where dealers are mostly stocking base configurations or maxed out feature packages no one actually wants. When I was buying, it was almost impossible to get a mid-range configuration package (called a Premium,) while Selects and top of the line GTs were abundant.

You start to see the problem when you consider someone buying from a dealer probably hasn't done any research on the full line. In my situation, my old car died and I had about a week to make a decision. I test drove an MME Premium on a Saturday and left without buying. Checked in the next day, the car I drove was already sold but the salesman said there would be another later in the week. He would not be able to hold it, but told me exactly when to be there to make sure I was first in line. Arrived at the dealership, after a brief inspection I moved forward with the purchase.

In retrospect, this was a mistake. The car I test drove was a Premium, the car I bought was a Select. In terms of differences, there was no 360 degree camera, no power lift gates, no heated seats, no front-facing camera, and more. My fault for not thinking this through, but I really wasn't aware of the differences between a Select and a Premium at the time. The lack of those features was consequential. Ford has an autopilot clone called BlueCruise, the lack of a front-facing camera means the car can never take advantage of this feature (incidentally, Ford advertised BlueCruise as a standard feature on all MMEs.) The hardware can't be upgraded.

The price was above MSRP. Had I reserved it, the price would have been $46k. With dealer add ons and optional service packages, the total price was $52k before delivery, taxes, title, and fees. While some of this could be chalked up to urgency, I spent about $6k more than I needed by going through a dealer. Had I custom ordered, the additional features in the Premium would have cost less than the difference.

Never buy an MME from a dealer. If you are forced to, educate yourself on the line beforehand. The Select is a technological dead end.

The MME was Subject to Recall

The day before I purchased the MME, Ford recalled it. While selling a new car subject to recall is illegal, they did it anyway.

I got a call 3 days after purchase telling me the car can brick when I charge it. Don't charge it and bring it back to the dealer until it can be fixed. They had no timeframe for a fix.

As it turned out, the fix took a week. I did receive a loaner during that time so it wasn't a complete inconvenience. But it was unsettling, buying a car and not being able to enjoy it for a week.

The Battery and the Patchwork of Chargers

Ford marketing gives you the impression the range is fine and you're well supported by a nationwide network of fast chargers. That's misleading.

The standard range battery for an MME is rated at 220 miles. The extended range for an MME is rated at 270 miles.

My experience was range did not translate well into miles travelled, my guess is it was about 10% lower on average in the summer. In the winter, the standard range battery drops to 160 miles, lower on really cold days. There were days this winter I was getting 1 mile per percent of range. Creates a massive amount of anxiety getting into your car and wondering what the numbers are going to look like today.

The charging network is a patchwork between Electrify America, Chargepoint, EvGo and a few others. You can find them in any dense urban environment, but they are few and far between as you get away from the coast. Ford offers a navigation app, superficially similar to Tesla's. It will list the closest chargers to your location, even if they are beyond the maximum range of your car. We relied instead on a mobile app called ABRP when we were away from home, which had a more complete list that includes chargers not in the network.

The time to charge is an issue. The maximum charge rate for the MME is 70kw. Even if you are on one that goes 300kw, the best you will ever do is 70kw. But I don't believe I ever saw the full 70kw, typically I was charging at around 40kw max.

Can't overstate how complicated the charger situation made road trips.

Travelling in rural PA, there were no chargers in the network anywhere near us. One morning, I had to get up at 2 while the family slept to charge on a level 2 charger behind a car dealership. It was the only one for 50 miles, and it took 15% off the battery getting there and back. On a trip to West Virginia, we found ourselves in a charging desert, again with no chargers for 50 miles from our cabin. To ensure we would not run out of juice, we just parked and didn't use the car. Anything beyond a few miles walking was out of reach for us.

For both trips, even when we found fast chargers, The amount of time spent at chargers dragged things out. In one case, a 4 hour drive turned into an 8 hour drive. My wife frequently asked what the point of a road trip was in this car.

Ford's Inadequate Technology

Ford overpromises with the technology. It's present, but we found it to be lacking.

The MME comes with dongles for different drivers to offer some personalization features. It has an interior camera which (I believe) does facial recognition. It also has an app that allows remote start and recognizes when you are present to automatically unlock the doors.

This never worked for us. Despite the fact we created individual profiles tied to each dongle / cell phone, the MME only ever recognized my wife as the driver. If I wanted personalized settings, I had to manually select them from the tablet. We devoted a fair amount of time to this feature before deciding it was unimportant because the only thing you can really personalize is drive modes. It's easier to just select a different one when you get in the car.

The MME comes with a number of apps. Most of them proved inferior to their counterparts on our cell phones.

The navigation app is the big one, it's supposed to give you directions and guide you to chargers. The directions suffer from the lack of real time information on traffic. The shortest route is often the most heavily trafficked, but also the maps did not reflect new development and road closures. The first time I tried using it, I was sent to a road that had been blocked off for construction for months. The charger listings are overwhelming. You either get a list of their in-network charging partners - who are often no where near you - or you get to sort through a list of every level 1 and level 2 charger by distance. This is probably the area with the most room for improvement in the whole car.

The energy app is the only one that doesn't replicate something from our phones. It breaks down how much power is being consumed by different activities. We found we didn't have much of a use for it, primarily because the range was so short. We were more interested in finding the next charger than optimizing our battery usage.

The voice command system is very basic and needs some improvements. First off, there are some commands it would suggest, like changing the volume, but not recognize. But the big issue was when the voice command entry would be triggered by someone speaking on a podcast. This happened frequently enough to be a problem, someone would say something and the screen would switch off the maps to a full screen voice command interface. To clear it, I would need to interact with the screen. When the podcast would start up, it would rewind a few seconds and repeat the process.

As I mentioned, BlueCruise is Ford's autopilot equivalent. There's no way to use it on a Select because you don't have the front-facing cameras. What you do get is Enhanced Cruise Control, which gives you lane assist and automatic breaking. This was not bad and the feature I used most often.

I could go on, but basically: we rarely used the voice commands and the only apps we really used were on our phones. Other than the enhanced cruise control, this car didn't do much for us from a technology standpoint.

View attachment 898916
"2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E EXT Range AWD" by Calreyn88 is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog feed thumbnail.
Sorry to hear of your troubles, but really not surprised.

I had an early reservation, but cancelled when it became obvious dealerships knew zero… and calling the national Mach-E team didn’t provide answers either. Not including the pandemics…

Combined, those two factors made me think Ford was going to have a rough go of it.

Ended up buying a Model S Sig. after one year, the vehicle has quirks, but Tesla generally has their act wired, in spite of Mr Musk. One year and 37,000 miles later, I hope this Model S is the last car I ever buy.

Same 💩 with the ID4. I was trying to get my wife to get a Model 3 SR, but she wanted that extra Pseudo CUV height and thought it was cute. I warned her about the software bugs and lack of seamlessness like a Tesla. It’s a decent car, better than a Leaf but Tesla tech is way ahead and user experience. The Mobileye ID4 autonomy is something like Tesla AutoPilot Mobileye on older gen S and X with only front and back camera, although it does lane changes, lane keep assist, can read stop signs, and auto park much better than FSD beta. Half the Electrify America Chargers are broken with average of 4 stalls and packed with other ID4 owners since it’s free for 3 years. Even with the 3 year free charging, I’m cautious about road trips with non Tesla chargers poor reliability. Also hate how the TACC doesn’t tell you when disengaged, very dangerous. Apple CarPlay is nothing special anymore, you can get that on a Corolla.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel and scratch
Ford put out a press release the day they announced their earnings. Interesting reading, worthy amount of doublespeak.

This part in particular stood out:
• More than 650,000 F-Series trucks shipped during the year, making it America’s best-selling truck for 46 straight years – and top vehicle of any type for 41 years

• The electric F-150 Lightning recently honored as both the North American Truck of the Year – marking the third straight year Ford vehicles have earned that award – and the 2023 MotorTrend Truck of the Year.

• Recognition of the 2023 Ford Bronco and 2023 Ford Maverick “10 Best Trucks and SUVs” by Car and Driver, the second consecutive year for Bronco

• In November, producing the 150,000th Mustang Mach-E in less than two years, a milestone to scaling Ford’s global EV production to a run rate of 600,000 annually by the end of 2023 and more than 2 million by the end of 2026, and

• Consumer Reports last week named Ford BlueCruise advanced driver-assistance system the best among 12 such systems that it tested; at the end of 2022, customers had traveled more than 42 million hands-free miles with BlueCruise, four times more than just six months earlier.
They make a car that loses 30% of battery capacity in the cold. They tout their success as declared by industry publications.

That last one made me chuckle. CR's review made a big deal out of driver attention, as though that made BlueCruise able to navigate roads in North America. Just their basic maps directed me to closed roads and heavy traffic, was this not part of the CR review?

Reactions: Olle and madodel