Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Mustang Mach E Needs a Rethink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a Ford Mustang Mach E in June 2022. 6 months later, trading it in for a MYLR.

Looking back, this car needs to be rethought. Ford's custom configuration / dealer purchasing model creates huge disadvantages for buyers, the features / pricing isn't well thought out, the charging situation is patchwork at best, and the software is inferior to a linked cell phone. It strikes me as first generation technology that would benefit from substantial innovation.

For those considering buying one, educate yourself thoroughly before proceeding. There are many pitfalls along the way.

Purchasing Process - Never Buy from a Dealer

Let's dispel the myth the MME is a "hot" car. Scarcity on dealer lots results from the delivery process. This perception is used against buyers to justify additional dealer markups.

Typically, people reserve a Mach E and receive it 6 - 12 months later. Dealers get these cars when buyers refuse delivery on a reservation.

The trouble with this model is reservation fees are fully refundable. It costs nothing for a buyer to refuse delivery, which creates a situation where dealers are mostly stocking base configurations or maxed out feature packages no one actually wants. When I was buying, it was almost impossible to get a mid-range configuration package (called a Premium,) while Selects and top of the line GTs were abundant.

You start to see the problem when you consider someone buying from a dealer probably hasn't done any research on the full line. In my situation, my old car died and I had about a week to make a decision. I test drove an MME Premium on a Saturday and left without buying. Checked in the next day, the car I drove was already sold but the salesman said there would be another later in the week. He would not be able to hold it, but told me exactly when to be there to make sure I was first in line. Arrived at the dealership, after a brief inspection I moved forward with the purchase.

In retrospect, this was a mistake. The car I test drove was a Premium, the car I bought was a Select. In terms of differences, there was no 360 degree camera, no power lift gates, no heated seats, no front-facing camera, and more. My fault for not thinking this through, but I really wasn't aware of the differences between a Select and a Premium at the time. The lack of those features was consequential. Ford has an autopilot clone called BlueCruise, the lack of a front-facing camera means the car can never take advantage of this feature (incidentally, Ford advertised BlueCruise as a standard feature on all MMEs.) The hardware can't be upgraded.

The price was above MSRP. Had I reserved it, the price would have been $46k. With dealer add ons and optional service packages, the total price was $52k before delivery, taxes, title, and fees. While some of this could be chalked up to urgency, I spent about $6k more than I needed by going through a dealer. Had I custom ordered, the additional features in the Premium would have cost less than the difference.

Never buy an MME from a dealer. If you are forced to, educate yourself on the line beforehand. The Select is a technological dead end.

The MME was Subject to Recall

The day before I purchased the MME, Ford recalled it. While selling a new car subject to recall is illegal, they did it anyway.

I got a call 3 days after purchase telling me the car can brick when I charge it. Don't charge it and bring it back to the dealer until it can be fixed. They had no timeframe for a fix.

As it turned out, the fix took a week. I did receive a loaner during that time so it wasn't a complete inconvenience. But it was unsettling, buying a car and not being able to enjoy it for a week.

The Battery and the Patchwork of Chargers

Ford marketing gives you the impression the range is fine and you're well supported by a nationwide network of fast chargers. That's misleading.

The standard range battery for an MME is rated at 220 miles. The extended range for an MME is rated at 270 miles.

My experience was range did not translate well into miles travelled, my guess is it was about 10% lower on average in the summer. In the winter, the standard range battery drops to 160 miles, lower on really cold days. There were days this winter I was getting 1 mile per percent of range. Creates a massive amount of anxiety getting into your car and wondering what the numbers are going to look like today.

The charging network is a patchwork between Electrify America, Chargepoint, EvGo and a few others. You can find them in any dense urban environment, but they are few and far between as you get away from the coast. Ford offers a navigation app, superficially similar to Tesla's. It will list the closest chargers to your location, even if they are beyond the maximum range of your car. We relied instead on a mobile app called ABRP when we were away from home, which had a more complete list that includes chargers not in the network.

The time to charge is an issue. The maximum charge rate for the MME is 70kw. Even if you are on one that goes 300kw, the best you will ever do is 70kw. But I don't believe I ever saw the full 70kw, typically I was charging at around 40kw max.

Can't overstate how complicated the charger situation made road trips.

Travelling in rural PA, there were no chargers in the network anywhere near us. One morning, I had to get up at 2 while the family slept to charge on a level 2 charger behind a car dealership. It was the only one for 50 miles, and it took 15% off the battery getting there and back. On a trip to West Virginia, we found ourselves in a charging desert, again with no chargers for 50 miles from our cabin. To ensure we would not run out of juice, we just parked and didn't use the car. Anything beyond a few miles walking was out of reach for us.

For both trips, even when we found fast chargers, The amount of time spent at chargers dragged things out. In one case, a 4 hour drive turned into an 8 hour drive. My wife frequently asked what the point of a road trip was in this car.

Ford's Inadequate Technology

Ford overpromises with the technology. It's present, but we found it to be lacking.

The MME comes with dongles for different drivers to offer some personalization features. It has an interior camera which (I believe) does facial recognition. It also has an app that allows remote start and recognizes when you are present to automatically unlock the doors.

This never worked for us. Despite the fact we created individual profiles tied to each dongle / cell phone, the MME only ever recognized my wife as the driver. If I wanted personalized settings, I had to manually select them from the tablet. We devoted a fair amount of time to this feature before deciding it was unimportant because the only thing you can really personalize is drive modes. It's easier to just select a different one when you get in the car.

The MME comes with a number of apps. Most of them proved inferior to their counterparts on our cell phones.

The navigation app is the big one, it's supposed to give you directions and guide you to chargers. The directions suffer from the lack of real time information on traffic. The shortest route is often the most heavily trafficked, but also the maps did not reflect new development and road closures. The first time I tried using it, I was sent to a road that had been blocked off for construction for months. The charger listings are overwhelming. You either get a list of their in-network charging partners - who are often no where near you - or you get to sort through a list of every level 1 and level 2 charger by distance. This is probably the area with the most room for improvement in the whole car.

The energy app is the only one that doesn't replicate something from our phones. It breaks down how much power is being consumed by different activities. We found we didn't have much of a use for it, primarily because the range was so short. We were more interested in finding the next charger than optimizing our battery usage.

The voice command system is very basic and needs some improvements. First off, there are some commands it would suggest, like changing the volume, but not recognize. But the big issue was when the voice command entry would be triggered by someone speaking on a podcast. This happened frequently enough to be a problem, someone would say something and the screen would switch off the maps to a full screen voice command interface. To clear it, I would need to interact with the screen. When the podcast would start up, it would rewind a few seconds and repeat the process.

As I mentioned, BlueCruise is Ford's autopilot equivalent. There's no way to use it on a Select because you don't have the front-facing cameras. What you do get is Enhanced Cruise Control, which gives you lane assist and automatic breaking. This was not bad and the feature I used most often.

I could go on, but basically: we rarely used the voice commands and the only apps we really used were on our phones. Other than the enhanced cruise control, this car didn't do much for us from a technology standpoint.

2021_Ford_Mustang_Mach-E_EXT_Range_AWD.jpg

"2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E EXT Range AWD" by Calreyn88 is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog feed thumbnail.

Thanks for the super helpful review. I didn't test drive the MME because I suspected a lot of what you ended up just saying:
  • bang per buck of the entire range seemed really weak compared to tesla even before the tesla price cuts
  • range was not great and ford doesn't have a charging network, important details I think
  • performance was not that great, even for the expensive top of the line model
  • dealing with ford dealerships to get one
  • and finally, it's not a real mustang and it immediately annoyed me that ford called a slow electric crossover a mustang

but ultimately, to paraphrase, "it's the network, stupid."
Yeah this is the conclusion I came to about a year ago when looking at potential options for an electric car. It was basically tesla or nothing because of range/charging network.

Pretty much every manufacturer besides tesla suffers from range problems and charging problems to the point that they're impractical for anything besides short range grocery shopping in good weather.

Reactions: scratch
I too am jumping ship from the MME.
Actually more like abandoning a burning ship.
Nothing works.
It's cold, crap range, inaccurate range, garbage software and app. The list goes on.
Excited to see what tesla can do.
In a Tesla, all the core engineering works very well, up to the limits of physics and chemistry. Highest efficiency, high quality batteries, superb range prediction (if you use the correct screen), excellent HVAC with the heat pump, and ridiculous power with any dual motor version. The app works well enough to not notice any glitches, other than taking time for the car to wake up, or if the car doesn't have data connectivity.

The interior fittings are not as good as other automakers and they start making noises after a few months.

I too am jumping ship from the MME.
Actually more like abandoning a burning ship.
Nothing works.
It's cold, crap range, inaccurate range, garbage software and app. The list goes on.
Excited to see what tesla can do.
In a nutshell: With a Mach-E, when you jump in to go on a long trip, you wonder what might fail next. In in Tesla, you jump in and think about what restaurant to visit on the way.

In a nutshell: With a Mach-E, when you jump in to go on a long trip, you wonder what might fail next. In in Tesla, you jump in and think about what restaurant to visit on the way.
sad b/c it's sexy car. But i prefer function over form esp. for trips.

Wonder if a used '16 X with falcon wings should be avoided for the same reason. I love the looks but not if we can't get out the door (one sensor failed during a test drive!) The price is right though around $45K

Reactions: Olle
sad b/c it's sexy car. But i prefer function over form esp. for trips.

Wonder if a used '16 X with falcon wings should be avoided for the same reason. I love the looks but not if we can't get out the door (one sensor failed during a test drive!) The price is right though around $45K
I still have my 2016 SIgnature X and within the first couple of month there was a problem with a FW door sensor. On the early X's they used a glue to attach the sensors in the doors which wasn't tested sufficiently in cold weather. The adhesive glue failed in the cold, the sensor dropped down in the door and the door refused to open because the sensor picked up the ground as an obstacle. They reglued all the sensors and I haven't had the problem since. Also had a problem early on with the door lock latches where they failed (one in the FW door and one in the driver side door) They replaced the latches twice and the final new version fixed it and I haven't had a problem since. The one time with the driver side door latch I had to drive over 80 miles to the service center holding the driver door closed because I didn't want it swinging open while on the highway. They did flatbed the car when the FW door latch failed. Maybe Tesla service missed replacing the door sensor on the one you test drove. I would have preferred regular doors, but the FW doors haven't been an issue since, other than attracting attention in parking lots.

I still have my 2016 SIgnature X and within the first couple of month there was a problem with a FW door sensor. On the early X's they used a glue to attach the sensors in the doors which wasn't tested sufficiently in cold weather. The adhesive glue failed in the cold, the sensor dropped down in the door and the door refused to open because the sensor picked up the ground as an obstacle. They reglued all the sensors and I haven't had the problem since. Also had a problem early on with the door lock latches where they failed (one in the FW door and one in the driver side door) They replaced the latches twice and the final new version fixed it and I haven't had a problem since. The one time with the driver side door latch I had to drive over 80 miles to the service center holding the driver door closed because I didn't want it swinging open while on the highway. They did flatbed the car when the FW door latch failed. Maybe Tesla service missed replacing the door sensor on the one you test drove. I would have preferred regular doors, but the FW doors haven't been an issue since, other than attracting attention in parking lots.
Great info.
So there is a "permanent" fix now? Like I said it's sexy, but I want safe/functional. Maybe I'll stick to buying more homely sister Y vs MME or X

Great info.
So there is a "permanent" fix now? Like I said it's sexy, but I want safe/functional. Maybe I'll stick to buying more homely sister Y vs MME or X
I can only speak to my own experience with my X. It's been almost 7 years now and no door problems since the repairs. I wouldn't part with my X for most anything else including a Y or an MME. Still waiting on the CT, though the Plaid X was tempting just for the longer range, but my P90D is still very sweet at accelerating. My X is down to about 211 miles of range (original rated at 250). Most of the drop was in the first year but it has lost a few miles every year since. But I also have Lifetime free Supercharging on my X.

I can only speak to my own experience with my X. It's been almost 7 years now and no door problems since the repairs. I wouldn't part with my X for most anything else including a Y or an MME. Still waiting on the CT, though the Plaid X was tempting just for the longer range, but my P90D is still very sweet at accelerating. My X is down to about 211 miles of range (original rated at 250). Most of the drop was in the first year but it has lost a few miles every year since. But I also have Lifetime free Supercharging on my X.

Yes FUSC is great and non transferable too if you buy thru a dealer. I might look for a private sale+ buy a warranty vs CPO.

Most of my SR 3 loss was year 1 too( 225 down to 180) but it's fine for a daily driver.

Looking for MME/ X/ Y to be for trips but eliminating the MME due to feedback here

OP here. Wanted to point out one other bright spot to owning an MME.

When we bought our MME, we paid for a service plan. The dealership said the pro-rated part was refundable if we sold the car.

The dealer refuses to recognize we sold the car. We've supplied a release of lien letter, some correspondence with the credit union congratulating us for paying off the loan, and something from the state that says the title was transferred. They are now asking for proof it was ever serviced and, if not, that would void the warranty and means they can keep the payment they received for services they never delivered.

We had 5k miles on the MME when we sold it. Not sure why we would have brought it in for service in that time.

Confident we will get them to buckle, but this is the stupidest excuse for clinging to money / waste of time. It's been said Ford's network of dealers is part of their competitive advantage. Yeah, same as the mafia.

OP here. Wanted to point out one other bright spot to owning an MME.

When we bought our MME, we paid for a service plan. The dealership said the pro-rated part was refundable if we sold the car.

The dealer refuses to recognize we sold the car. We've supplied a release of lien letter, some correspondence with the credit union congratulating us for paying off the loan, and something from the state that says the title was transferred. They are now asking for proof it was ever serviced and, if not, that would void the warranty and means they can keep the payment they received for services they never delivered.

We had 5k miles on the MME when we sold it. Not sure why we would have brought it in for service in that time.

Confident we will get them to buckle, but this is the stupidest excuse for clinging to money / waste of time. It's been said Ford's network of dealers is part of their competitive advantage. Yeah, same as the mafia.

You may want to look into whether or not your state has a dealership licensing bureau and if so, contact them.

My father once had trouble with a dealership not fixing a problem on a car and replacing the broken parts multiple times (this was before lemon laws) and charging him for it. He found out there was a state licensing bureau and contacted them. They setup an appointment with him and the dealership. He told me that when he was there with the licensing bureau, the dealership rep didn't say anything but "Yes sir" to whatever the licensing bureau rep said the dealership would do for him.

Neighbor's son LOVES LOVES LOVES his MME but I have no particulars, does he use it for road trips, etc.

...and I can't resist reminding folks that fundamentally, software-based machines that you need to rely on to work every time, in an instant, are just a bat-*sugar* crazy, stupid idea. Just dumb as a doornail. And so is a lack of buttons for the fan and glove box. Jimminey, who does Elon think he's kidding on that?

Have a great day everyone,

-TPC
Just gotta catch up with the times friend. I remember fellow pilots complaining that planes are now fly by wire and how stupid that is. And who needs a flight computer etc. IT was one of the best improvements in aviation safety as the computers turn out to be better at controlling plane and more consistent than pilots, and planes don't have attitudes(actually they do), alcohol problems etc. So I think cars that are mostly digital controlled is the future.

Anyhow after having my MYP for a few months now...The car is just plain awesome. Who needs a glove box button when its so easy to access on the screen and you can lock out with PW etc. Rarely use that but I know its locked and you need a code to open like a safe.
Most people are used to pressing digital "buttons" to get what they want. IPHONE ...Door Dash, Calls, Taxy...all digital. This car is really a natural evolution. An Iphone on wheels of sorts. And just as fast or faster than an annoyingly loud Dodge Charger Super Duper whatever sales pitch name they come up with this year or the next for an obsolete ICE car that should belong in a Stelantis of Viagra (museum) or whatever name they call themselves now desperately trying to merge themselves into some French electric car...cause they were too slow to jump in this game.

Its embarrassing to hear some try to compare Tesla to a MME. Read investor news... and even Ford admits they have a long way to go to compete with Tesla. That is code word for you will get more ripped off on an MME than a Tesla :) Your MME batteries will be driving around an extra 1.3 or so miles of useless cables(per Ford CEO). A testament to the Tesla is that one in 10 cars purchased in California are "TESLA". That means people love them. Most that I know have a Tesla get another when they trade it in.

Last thing about the Dealers. Ford, a relic of the old, has 20 different option variations for the MME. This is so they can say its cheaper than a Tesla. Look its only 40,000. But that is without cameras, safety features and tires are extra. A MME priced to "TRY" to be like a MYP costs in the mid 60,000. WTF would anyone pay in the 60's for an MME that is 2 seconds slower on a 0-60 run, has no Supercharger support, Crappy software, Buying a Tesla is just as easy as buying an IPHONE. Want one of 3 - 4 features to select and press buy. No sleazebag salesman to deal with.

I think the traditional automakers need to modernize or they will keep paying people to take their cars off the lot until the taxpayer has to bail them out. Other than Tesla most are loosing money on electric.

I am not against the traditional automakers despite my jabs here. I hope they succeed against or with Tesla. But for now its Tesla Tesla Tesla (Based on the current prices). Dealers need to pack up and go home. If they weren't lobbying they would be gone by now. They add to what we pay for cars and provide overpriced service. NO REAL VALUE!!! You want to sell me an MME make it better than a Tesla, call me when its ready and dont waste my time with 20 pricing options so you can trick me into buying something other than what I want.

Boy that was some rant!!! :) :) :) I guess feel strongly about my MYP and I am sick of scum salesman trying to trick me at Dealerships.

Have a great day Everyone!!! Get a Tesla !!!

I had moisture in the right taillight, a known issue. I entered the Tesla app, took the first available appointment, and 3 days later a mobile tech showed up and replaced it in under 10 minutes, no questions asked.

A dealership, after trying to weasel their way out of the warranty replacement, would likely have taken half a day to do the installation, possibly leaving some nice scratches on the paint. No thanks!

Its embarrassing to hear some try to compare Tesla to a MME. Read investor news... and even Ford admits they have a long way to go to compete with Tesla. That is code word for you will get more ripped off on an MME than a Tesla :) Your MME batteries will be driving around an extra 1.3 or so miles of useless cables(per Ford CEO). A testament to the Tesla is that one in 10 cars purchased in California are "TESLA". That means people love them. Most that I know have a Tesla get another when they trade it in.

Last thing about the Dealers. Ford, a relic of the old, has 20 different option variations for the MME. This is so they can say its cheaper than a Tesla. Look its only 40,000. But that is without cameras, safety features and tires are extra. A MME priced to "TRY" to be like a MYP costs in the mid 60,000. WTF would anyone pay in the 60's for an MME that is 2 seconds slower on a 0-60 run, has no Supercharger support, Crappy software, Buying a Tesla is just as easy as buying an IPHONE. Want one of 3 - 4 features to select and press buy. No sleazebag salesman to deal with.
QFT.

Have started to notice a pattern in MME reviews. Reviewers think features that detect driver's awareness are really, really important. More important than the range, the winter capacity drop off, the apps that ship with the car, the charging situation, etc. They can't stress how important that driver awareness is, Ford's really got all other manufacturers because theirs is so good.

My MME consistently stopped when making left hand turns in the presence of other cars. An alert would come on the screen and the car would stop dead in it's tracks. This would usually happen when there was a car in another lane to the right of mine, it was completely unintuitive and dangerous. You have to drive the car to understand how bad this is.

Can't take any MME reviews seriously after reading this. It's all BS.

One interesting thing I saw in a youtube video where they were drag racing an MYP vs the top end MME- it turns out that the MME will only give you full power for the first 5 seconds and then cuts back to a gimped power level to protect the batteries. So it will appear to be even with the MYP in 0-60 tests but it falls behind hard for longer distances like 1/4 mile, highway pulls etc.

Yeah I checked and the MME is .1s slower 0-60 but .6s slower in the 1/4 and it traps nearly 15mph slower.

QFT.

Have started to notice a pattern in MME reviews. Reviewers think features that detect driver's awareness are really, really important. More important than the range, the winter capacity drop off, the apps that ship with the car, the charging situation, etc. They can't stress how important that driver awareness is, Ford's really got all other manufacturers because theirs is so good.

My MME consistently stopped when making left hand turns in the presence of other cars. An alert would come on the screen and the car would stop dead in it's tracks. This would usually happen when there was a car in another lane to the right of mine, it was completely unintuitive and dangerous. You have to drive the car to understand how bad this is.

Can't take any MME reviews seriously after reading this. It's all BS.
I think great, but BS, reviews are posted by Ford Information officers and their employees. Often false comparisons, false data. There is so much misinformation online. There is a review above that even states, and I have no clue why he was even talking about it, that a Dodge Challenger Hellcat he drove did 0-60 in "well under 2 seconds". LOL Is that Stelantis trying to advertise their trash? That is not even close to the truth. As far as I can tell that vehicle is tested at 0-60 at about 3.4 seconds...Ha Ha "Well above 3 seconds" My MYP, can match that and the MYP is not even the faster of the Teslas due to added weight and 10 times more functionality than the Hellcat. Also MYP costs considerably less...oh and much much quieter. Its a silent speed sniper at any light. :)