Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford no longer allows purchase at end of lease for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently Ford is again following Tesla and no longer allowing people to purchase their leased vehicles.
They are doing this because they are too valuable, correct?

Ironically, I remember when Tesla started their leasing program, one of the many bear thesis knocks against Tesla is that Tesla would be “stuck” with unwanted off lease vehicles which they would have to sell at a loss.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Another GM EV1 repeat, let's destroy the evidence.
So, by that logic, I guess you are saying Tesla intends to crush all the vehicles being returned from leases because they aren’t giving people the option to purchase at the end of their lease. :p

Prices on used vehicles are crazy right now. People are buying vehicles at the end of the lease term, and immediately selling them to Carmax or the like and turning a nice profit. The lease departments know they can’t guess the correct residual value, or if they do, lease payments are “too low”. So, they’re doing normal depreciation, but not letting you purchase at the end of the lease. Once prices stabilize in X months/years, buyout clauses will return to the standard lease contract.

So, by that logic, I guess you are saying Tesla intends to crush all the vehicles being returned from leases because they aren’t giving people the option to purchase at the end of their lease. :p

Prices on used vehicles are crazy right now. People are buying vehicles at the end of the lease term, and immediately selling them to Carmax or the like and turning a nice profit. The lease departments know they can’t guess the correct residual value, or if they do, lease payments are “too low”. So, they’re doing normal depreciation, but not letting you purchase at the end of the lease. Once prices stabilize in X months/years, buyout clauses will return to the standard lease contract.
I am not so sure about buyouts returning unless they become a really bad deal. The 3 and Y don't have them.

I am not so sure about buyouts returning unless they become a really bad deal. The 3 and Y don't have them.
In the UK, before COVID hit, used PEV prices were already increasing.

In the USA, which has low fuel taxation, demand will vary more with fuel prices, but I think that demand will be greater than supply for some time, as BEV production is supply-constrained and other markets take a big chunk of global supply.