Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford recalls over 50,000 Mach-e's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no way this is just an ota update if Ford can manage even that
Why not? All they have to do is limit DC charging current ;)

Seriously, they can model what the expected temperature of the contactor should be based on charge current and driving loads. All they have to do is limit it during those times that predict it would be (or could be) high.

But I bet after high speed DC charging they won’t be able to do any launches.

When Tesla has to perform an OTA recall it’s “fake news”, “legacy auto hit piece”

But when Ford has to perform an OTA recall, the Tesla forums cannot wait to post an article taking it out of context.

Clearly OP never owned a Roadster.
Nope. Never owned one. I was a Corvette guy at the time. I will take your remark in a better spirit, than the snark you threw in there. My point is that the risk if Year1/Gen1 are chancy at best. When I got my C6 I waited as few years as the 2005 was notorious as having had so many bugs. It was the first year of that generation, and was known for many failures as they were using far more tech (new at the time).

There is a problem with high voltage connectors overheating with fire hazard under high load, there is no hardware
available in Chihuahuapocalito or whichever gang controlled area they make them now, so they are going to detune
and neuter the car's performance with a software update.

Bad news!

Very sad news for all involved, especially that the Mach E seems like a genuine effort overall.

Reactions: Brando
Nope. Never owned one. I was a Corvette guy at the time. I will take your remark in a better spirit, than the snark you threw in there. My point is that the risk if Year1/Gen1 are chancy at best. When I got my C6 I waited as few years as the 2005 was notorious as having had so many bugs. It was the first year of that generation, and was known for many failures as they were using far more tech (new at the time).
Had a 2005 C6. That was a nightmare for such a great car.

Reactions: Soul Surfer
Did they nerf the actual performance on that or just the charge speed? Anyhow that whole battery thing was shady also
Performance was never what it was supposed to be. The vehicle was advertised and sold as putting out 700+ HP, but it was never capable of anything close to that.

Performance was also further nerfed with batterygate.

Tesla had to be sued on both occasions to admit fault. And they still have not compensated owners as required.

I’ll deal with Ford’s approach any day.

• Funny
Reactions: SO16
Performance was never what it was supposed to be. The vehicle was advertised and sold as putting out 700+ HP, but it was never capable of anything close to that.

Performance was also further nerfed with batterygate.

Tesla had to be sued on both occasions to admit fault. And they still have not compensated owners as required.

I’ll deal with Ford’s approach any day.
Yes, Tesla isn't without its flaws and questionable practices, but the severity of the issue isn't exactly apples to apples.

The Mach-E's problem leaves people without a drivable vehicle and I'm skeptical that an OTA can fix or be an effective band-aid. And that's assuming they can reliably install OTAs which is a problem in of itself.

Say what you want about Tesla, their cars are by and large dependable. I have no hesitation getting in my Model 3 and driving to another state. If I owned a Mach-E, it would be for sale.

As a testament to its overall robustness, here's a guy that races his Model 3 LR often and I haven't heard him mention anything negative about the drivetrain or any kind of thermal issue that has cropped up from running it this hard:

Can a Mach-E handle this kind of abuse? Doubt it. After one or 2 runs it would start throttling back power and with subsequent passes would likely shut down unless it's put into a certain lower-power mode (unbridled extend) so the battery and other drivetrain components can stay cool. Needless to say, this mode nerfs its max performance. It's a poor design. There's just no other way to put it.

Ford's overall approach to service-related issues is one of procrastination until they're forced to do something. I can give several examples, but I think the recent Bronco engine failures is good enough:

Here, they sourced and cobbled together questionable parts and seemingly couldn't be bothered with doing any kind of quality control. And according to the article, the problem isn't new to the Ecoboost line of engines. This same attitude can be seen on their track record with transmissions, A/C systems, body parts and engines going back decades.

I have a Mach-E; this recall is concerning, but so far the “issue” only seems to manifest for about 0.5% of owners and only in cases of lead-foot, DCFC or a combination of the above. Not good for GT/PE owners but ideally the issue may be controlled via software. The theory is Ford will push the OTA to all cars that watches the temperature in the contractor (current and voltage are known) and reduces power when needed to moderate the temperature. Also supposedly will watch for increases in resistance indicating issues and they will likely replace hardware when needed. Granted we’ll see where it goes. Still love my Mach-E. (Also pick up my Model Y P on Monday…)

• Informative
Reactions: Lephturn and HVM
When Tesla has to perform an OTA recall it’s “fake news”, “legacy auto hit piece”

But when Ford has to perform an OTA recall, the Tesla forums cannot wait to post an article taking it out of context.

Clearly OP never owned a Roadster.

Of course in this case, every single owner is going to have to take their Mach-e back to Ford and have physical repairs made to it, plus Ford has had to stop SELLING them AT ALL...

But yeah - it's the same as ordering Tesla to delete the fart-noise feature on the next OTA update. Really.

Reactions: DrGriz
I have a Mach-E; this recall is concerning, but so far the “issue” only seems to manifest for about 0.5% of owners and only in cases of lead-foot, DCFC or a combination of the above. Not good for GT/PE owners but ideally the issue may be controlled via software. The theory is Ford will push the OTA to all cars that watches the temperature in the contractor (current and voltage are known) and reduces power when needed to moderate the temperature. Also supposedly will watch for increases in resistance indicating issues and they will likely replace hardware when needed. Granted we’ll see where it goes. Still love my Mach-E. (Also pick up my Model Y P on Monday…)
I genuinely feel bad for owners like yourself caught up in this. As much as I'm a Tesla fan, if they pulled something like this on a car I own, they'd have to either replace the hardware, or buy it back. And if all else fails, I'll just sell it. For me, it's too much money to sink into something that doesn't work as expected. I hope it works out for you.