TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ford Transit Connect

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by vfx, Apr 2, 2010.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

A thread specifically for the Ford Transit Connect.

The Ford Story: Ford Transit Connect Goes Electric

Many early posts here http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/electric-vehicles/2168-ford-evs-2012-a-2.html?highlight=ford

Ford-Transit-Connect-Goes-Electr-4300.jpg
    [YouTube]3r_xfo8vQFU[/youtube]

This excites me because I think Ford will learn a lot because fleets keep great records for feedback and in general I know that putting thousand of drivers in electrics will spread to them wanting EVs at home.

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

They had fleets running the RangerEVs for quite a while a decade ago. Those had similar specs for range and top speed.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Exactly. The difference going foreword is that now drivers can go out and buy one for their husbands.

4. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

Funny! So ... in that household ... who is wearing the "driver" pants ? And who is going to do the driving ? :tongue:

5. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

TEG does make an excellent point, however.

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

First Test: 2010 Ford Transit Connect Electric

7. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Ford was here (Seattle) today with their electric Focus. At least a couple of Ranger EV drivers were in the audience, and one asked if Ford was going to bring the Ranger back.

The answer didn't include the word "no", but basically seemed to boil down to the fact that the Transit Connect would have to be good enough.

8. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

Is it just me that find it a bit strange that the Ford seems to be rather inefficient as well as very expensive? A 28kWh battery is a few kW higher than the Leaf and the cost is almost double. Is Ford trying to recoup the cost of the drivetrain in the first 1000 vehicles or something?

Cobos

9. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

10. domenick

domenick Nerd

Sebastian Blanco has a great post on AutoblogGreen about the Transit Connect and a factory visit. Basically, they're stuffing a 10 year old electric drivetrain tech along with modern batteries and a decent, but low-power charger into gliders and charging the same price as a Model S with half the range. It's a little apples to oranges, I realize, but still, $57,400? That's nuts.

ford-transit-connect-electric-06-630.jpg

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

That's too bad. I really want this to work. Even more than other public EVs (I'm looking at you, Think).

It sounds like Ford is going through the same schizoprenic masinations that GM went through with the EV1. Make a car that perfectly suits millions of delivery veicle needs and then put an clunky name on it and over price it beyond small business budgets.

By the way. I would call it the "Ant",

A hard working industrious insect that can carry 10 times it's weight and is a non stop machine. I'm done with the "electric" variant names now.

12. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Low range, high price point and similar technology to that of the Ford Ranger EV in the 90's. Makes we wonder if they are setting it up to fail or if it is a stepping stone to more state-of-the-art EV offerings from Ford.

13. nikole95.7

nikole95.7 New Member

Is it just me that find it a bit strange that the Ford seems to be rather inefficient as well as very expensive? A 28kWh battery is a few kW higher than the Leaf and the cost is almost double. Is Ford trying to recoup the cost of the drivetrain in the first 1000 vehicles or something?

14. mattjs33

mattjs33 Member

This electric "Ford" Transit Connect... as far as I understand it, the electric drivetrain is not engineered nor installed by Ford themselves. So why the Ford bashing here? All they do is provide the gliders.

15. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Probably because Ford CHOOSE that route instead of actually being innovative themselves. If the Big 3 continue to do business the way they have been for so long, they will no longer be in manufacturing cars.

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

It's actually rare for manufacturers to survive a major transition from one technology to the next. Not a single tube manufacturer survived the switch to transistors. Automobile manufacturers would be wise to pay attention to history.

17. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#17 doug, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
    Off-topic discussion moved here.

Please stay on topic.

18. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Azure Dynamics Gets GSA Order Worth Up To $112 Million CBS Detroit