Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Transit Connect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
A thread specifically for the Ford Transit Connect.

The Ford Story: Ford Transit Connect Goes Electric

Many early posts here http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/electric-vehicles/2168-ford-evs-2012-a-2.html?highlight=ford

Ford-Transit-Connect-Goes-Electr-4300.jpg
Ford Transit Connect Electric goes into production in late 2010. It will be well-suited for commercial fleets that travel predictable, short-range routes with frequent stop-and-go driving in urban and suburban environments and a central location for daily recharging. The vehicle, which will accelerate at a similar rate as the gas-powered Transit Connect and will have a top speed of 75 mph, has a targeted range of up to 80 miles on a full charge.

[YouTube]3r_xfo8vQFU[/youtube]

This excites me because I think Ford will learn a lot because fleets keep great records for feedback and in general I know that putting thousand of drivers in electrics will spread to them wanting EVs at home.

This excites me because I think Ford will learn a lot because fleets keep great records for feedback and in general I know that putting thousand of drivers in electrics will spread to them wanting EVs at home.
They had fleets running the RangerEVs for quite a while a decade ago. Those had similar specs for range and top speed.

They had fleets running the RangerEVs for quite a while a decade ago. Those had similar specs for range and top speed.

Ford was here (Seattle) today with their electric Focus. At least a couple of Ranger EV drivers were in the audience, and one asked if Ford was going to bring the Ranger back.

The answer didn't include the word "no", but basically seemed to boil down to the fact that the Transit Connect would have to be good enough.

Is it just me that find it a bit strange that the Ford seems to be rather inefficient as well as very expensive? A 28kWh battery is a few kW higher than the Leaf and the cost is almost double. Is Ford trying to recoup the cost of the drivetrain in the first 1000 vehicles or something?

Cobos

Sebastian Blanco has a great post on AutoblogGreen about the Transit Connect and a factory visit. Basically, they're stuffing a 10 year old electric drivetrain tech along with modern batteries and a decent, but low-power charger into gliders and charging the same price as a Model S with half the range. It's a little apples to oranges, I realize, but still, $57,400? That's nuts.

ford-transit-connect-electric-06-630.jpg

That's too bad. I really want this to work. Even more than other public EVs (I'm looking at you, Think).

It sounds like Ford is going through the same schizoprenic masinations that GM went through with the EV1. Make a car that perfectly suits millions of delivery veicle needs and then put an clunky name on it and over price it beyond small business budgets.

By the way. I would call it the "Ant",

A hard working industrious insect that can carry 10 times it's weight and is a non stop machine. I'm done with the "electric" variant names now.

Low range, high price point and similar technology to that of the Ford Ranger EV in the 90's. Makes we wonder if they are setting it up to fail or if it is a stepping stone to more state-of-the-art EV offerings from Ford.

Ford was here (Seattle) today with their electric Focus. At least a couple of Ranger EV drivers were in the audience, and one asked if Ford was going to bring the Ranger back.

The answer didn't include the word "no", but basically seemed to boil down to the fact that the Transit Connect would have to be good enough.

Is it just me that find it a bit strange that the Ford seems to be rather inefficient as well as very expensive? A 28kWh battery is a few kW higher than the Leaf and the cost is almost double. Is Ford trying to recoup the cost of the drivetrain in the first 1000 vehicles or something?

This electric "Ford" Transit Connect... as far as I understand it, the electric drivetrain is not engineered nor installed by Ford themselves. So why the Ford bashing here? All they do is provide the gliders.

Probably because Ford CHOOSE that route instead of actually being innovative themselves. If the Big 3 continue to do business the way they have been for so long, they will no longer be in manufacturing cars.

Probably because Ford CHOOSE that route instead of actually being innovative themselves. If the Big 3 continue to do business the way they have been for so long, they will no longer be in manufacturing cars.

It's actually rare for manufacturers to survive a major transition from one technology to the next. Not a single tube manufacturer survived the switch to transistors. Automobile manufacturers would be wise to pay attention to history.