Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford will add NACS to next gen EVs!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Next gen Ford EVs will include NACS port. Also will have a NACS to CCS adapter for existing Ford EVs and will be made compatible with Tesla Superchargers via software update.

Honestly never thought any other automaker would take up NACS so this is very surprising.

Moderator note: The first couple pages of this thread are a merge of two different threads on the same topic.
screenshot-twitter.com-2023.05.26-15_20_08.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is US based at the moment, but a huge deciding factor for me in getting my Tesla was the queues at the non Tesla stalls. Quite often when I go public charging there are spaces at Tesla but no free spaces at the other chargers. we are getting another EV soon and if they open all the uk Tesla charging network to non teslas it wont be a Tesla.
common concern

Even with Tesla only, they fill up fast during busy times.
But, hoping the expansion keeps pace with the growth and they catch up. There will be a year or two buffer so there's time if they keep building....

Notice what that the announcement said: Ford EV drivers gaining access to the Supercharger network.

Notice what the announcement does not say: the Supercharger network is available for any EV driver to charge anywhere.
I’m well aware. I never said the Supercharger network is open to any EV currently or in the near future.

Your whole point this far has been Ford paid for it. They paid for it. They paid for it. They paid for it. No one else can access the superchargers unless the manufacturer has paid for it. You’ve said it many times in many threads.

I’m saying that’s not necessarily true.

1. Tesla already has mechanisms in place and in use right now for non-Tesla vehicles to access Superchargers without the other auto manufacturer paying for anything. Eg the Magic Dock locations in the US and the opened chargers in Europe.​
2. If Ford is paying for anything, they are paying for Tesla to help work together on integration of Plug and Charge and automatic payment with Ford Pass on the back end. Not necessarily for the Supercharger access itself.​
3. Tesla is most likely charging Ford or Ford customers a premium as they already do for the opened Superchargers elsewhere. If they are already profitable like they claim to be by offering charging at the Tesla only rates, any additional fees they collect from CCS cars would just be sugar on top. That’s how Tesla would make money from this agreement.​

V3 superchargers already have CCS communication capability so in theory if a physical adapter existed, any CCS car with an adapter could plug in and communicate with a Supercharger stall. The missing part of the equation is activating the charge session and paying for it.

If Tesla should so choose to do so in the future, they can easily allow all CCS cars to charge at a supercharger at the flip of a switch. Tesla can have people use their self provided CCS1 adapter and activate/pay via app (eg what they already do at Magic Dock locations and in Europe), or they could come out with a “smart” plug and charge adapter that is linked to a Tesla account for automatic billing and bypass the other automaker, or partner with other automakers to provide direct plug and charge integration with Tesla on the back end (eg what Ford is doing). For the last option, Tesla probably would want them to implement NACS before working with another automaker on plug and charge at Superchargers.

Reactions: Whatstreet

this will likely crowd the superchargers even more

• Disagree
Reactions: cdub
Besides being able to Supercharge, I assume that 2025 Ford EVs will also be able to L2 AC charge on standard Tesla home chargers and destination chargers.

I also assume that Ford's current and future plans to do vehicle to whatever (V2G, V2H, V2L, etc.) will be done over NACS.

I wonder if the Ford Lightning truck will switch to NACS.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Besides being able to Supercharge, I assume that 2025 Ford EVs will also be able to L2 AC charge on standard Tesla home chargers and destination chargers.

I also assume that Ford's current and future plans to do vehicle to whatever (V2G, V2H, V2L, etc.) will be done over NACS.

I wonder if the Ford Lightning truck will switch to NACS.
Sorry, but based on the article that I just posted, I think your assumptions are incorrect.

What is Elon's definition of equal footing?

"We don't want the Tesla Supercharger network to be like a walled garden," Musk said. "We want it to be something that is supportive of electrification and sustainable transport in general. ... It is our intent to do everything possible to support Ford and have Ford be on an equal footing at Tesla Superchargers."

Maybe Ford paid Tesla for the privilege, and Tesla will build more stations?
Maybe Tesla's connector being used by another OEM will enable more federal dollars to help fund expansion?
Maybe fewer Fords at CCS stations will make it easier for us to use our CCS adapters. More seriously, maybe CCS infrastructure providers will work harder on making their networks reliable.
Maybe...

Well, you get the idea. There are plenty of good possibilities here. I don't know if any of them are true. But I also don't see any reason to jump to a worst-possible-case scenario. Why would Tesla make the deal if it was all downside? We may not know the details yet, but there must be upside somewhere.

Screw Ford. Worst dealers, worst buying experience. Hope it falls through for some reason.
Yeah, but are they all really that bad? -28F here in SK. Ford dealership in pulled into at 3am had free chargers available, and I wanted to be sure to make it to the next supercharger. When they started arriving in the AM they gave me a thumbs up.
Emailed NA dealership manager after calling the local GM. It was too cold to go inside and say thanks. Got an email from Levine saying it's about partnership. Which it is.

Let's not kill the 🪿 carrying good news just yet.
PXL_20220201_130256810.MP.jpg

I'm honestly elated by this news of Ford joining the NACS standard.

Next ? I'll guess the Japanese manufacturers, followed discreetly by GM with a whimper and by EA with their usual PR bravado. At least if the EA network has not simply been sold to Tesla outright.

Reactions: DblOSmith

this will likely crowd the superchargers even more
To get some of that sweet sweet government monies that’s why. But overall I support this move. Is what it is. They need more charging stations.

Am I the only one that thinks this sucks for Tesla owners?
As a Tesla owner this was the second best Tesla news I got this year. The best was receiving FSDb yesterday and loving it. Loving it!

Tesla had been locked out of some government grants to increase their charger network (adding CCS) even though their bid was far less expensive than the competition. With the new massive federal grants for building more chargers, the preeminence of the Tesla charger network was being threatened.

This news changes everything. IIRC the federal funding required that at least two major manufacturers use the type of charger being installed. In addition, most other manufacturers will follow suit (or be left in the dust). Ford's EV sales are 6% of Tesla's. I don't think supercharger sites are going to get over-run by Fords anytime soon. The main challenge will continue to be keeping up with Tesla's exponential growth in sales.

Every time a Ford, or other non-Tesla, charges at a supercharger, that's more money for Tesla to expand the supercharger network and less money for competing networks. More vehicles using NACS is a very good thing for all Tesla owners who use (or want to use) superchargers, destination chargers, or any other non-home charging.

More superchargers = good
Fewer superchargers = bad
More Tesla destination chargers = good
Fewer Tesla destination chargers = bad
Just imagine if most EV manufacturers start using NACS. Even current public chargers will support it. It was crazy and inefficient to have two competing charging standards in North America. Before this news it looked like CCS may win. Now it looks like NACS will win. Tesla owners should rejoice.