Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FordPass Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Ford announced ChargePass for it's EV customers which is basically a way to pay to use existing charging stations. The articles out there of course spin it as an advantage over Tesla because it gives access to more plugs vs. Tesla SuperChargers. What they fail to mention is that Tesla cars can use those same chargers plus Superchargers. They make is sound like Tesla can't use public chargers.

The other thing they fail to mention is the speed difference between Tesla Superchargers and these L2 chargers that Ford is offering.

When I saw the headlines, I expected it to say that Ford was building their own charging network. They are not.

Sigh.

And what you are missing is that this is Fords answer on how to make cost of entry into a EV cheaper. They are providing 2 years free to charge with this program.
My only issue with the program is that it seems to be announced way before their vehicles will be available.
Just as it seems every other manufacturer, they have to keep releasing promising press releases to stay relevant in a market that they aren't even in.

For me those announcements fall into the "OMG, not another piece of EV propaganda trash can" If you were to listen to the press, all manufacturers are producing EVs and there are thousands of models available. While it is great for bringing the segment mainstream, it's all just a smoke cloud for so much lack of vision. I guess they can't see through their own smoke clouds.

Reactions: gavine and Rocky_H
And what you are missing is that this is Fords answer on how to make cost of entry into a EV cheaper. They are providing 2 years free to charge with this program.
My only issue with the program is that it seems to be announced way before their vehicles will be available.
Just as it seems every other manufacturer, they have to keep releasing promising press releases to stay relevant in a market that they aren't even in.

For me those announcements fall into the "OMG, not another piece of EV propaganda trash can" If you were to listen to the press, all manufacturers are producing EVs and there are thousands of models available. While it is great for bringing the segment mainstream, it's all just a smoke cloud for so much lack of vision. I guess they can't see through their own smoke clouds.

NOT free charging, free entry into their new meta network. an advantage yes, and it certainly costs ford something, but they aren't building out a dcfc network.

Reactions: Obsoletion