TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Foreign content of 60kwh and 40kwh cars

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by tomanik, Jan 20, 2013.

1. tomanik

tomanik Member

Now that we have some 60 kwh cars on the road would like to know if the foreign content listed on the window sticker mentions a different content ratio. For the 85kwh car the content ratio is listed at 55% North American content. Would love to know if this is any different for the 60kwh and 40kwh. I suspect they will all show the ratio even they they are clearly not.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The foreign content would be the steering gear, air suspension, brakes, displays, and battery cells. The only difference would be the number of battery cells, so I don't think the percentage would change all that much.

3. tomanik

tomanik Member

It is supposed to be based on dollar value not number of parts so taking some portion of a $10k battery (for the 60kwh) with foreign cells out of the content ratio should make a difference. 62.5% is the magic number to avoid import duty to Canada (just over 6%) so it does need to move much, not that it makes any real difference as Tesla set the prices including it on all versions.

4. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I seem to remember it's averaged over all the different configurations, not calculated for each one.